Should I or Shouldn't I

chajun

Hello all. I have a pc with windows XP. I have had three different answers to a question I posted on another site and I am really none the wiser.

The post was as follows.

Should I during the daytime (A) leave my PC switched on?

(B) Switch it off when not in use?

© SWitch it to Hibernate?

The first answer to (A) I received said no switch off. This saves electricity. Another said leave it on.

The first answer to © Said don't leave it on Hibernate as it confuses the system. Someone else said yes it was ok.

Not being a PC techie any sensible answers would really be appreciated.

Thank you

• Moderators

It's really a personal preference, and I don't think you'll get a concrete Yes or No response.

I turn mine off when I know I won't be using it for awhile, e.g.; several hours. The reason for this: The PC won't consume electricity, and if a power outage happens it will already be off.

I however just log off if I know I'll be using it within an hour.

Complete shutdown and cold starts are however considered by many as being bad for your hardware, that's why there's some people that never shutdown.

• Moderators

I would agree with Andavari, it's down to personal preference.

How, what for, and when you use your computer will be the deciding factor for you.

These days hardware tends to be obsolete before it wears out !

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

There is a good rule that applies for many thing "When in doubt, dont. Be cautious and always take the safe before the unsafe." ;)

Hibernation mode is useful as it shuts down the computer so it dont use any power, while still allowing you to boot and be back in business relatively fast. But always using hibernation is maybe not so good, because its good for the system todo a real boot, especially if you have installed/uninstalled something.

If you are leaving the PC for a brief period, you should leave it on. But if you are leaving the house and wont be back in couple hours or are going to sleep, then you should power off (or use hibernation) the computer as it will make your hardware last longer, reduce your power bill, and be more environmental friendly.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

only time i turn my cpu off is when i go to bed i uasly leave it on all day althou my eletricty bil is huge this year :(

i paid 53 dollars this month-Canadian. :) And i never turn my computer off.

i paid 53 dollars this month-Canadian. :) And i never turn my computer off.

You are lucky. $120 here a month. :o And I don't turn my comp off either. :D

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I think it should be added that early PCs were much more likely to suffer from being turned on and off than the ones made today. The idea that they should be left on all the time is outdated.

Cold boots don't hurt the hardware anymore? I keep hearing that your hardware will wear out faster. My computer is 6 years old so I probably should be concerned?

(I leave mine on all of the time because I'm lazy :) )

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)