CCleaner marked as ADWARE

Tarun

In a recent bad move from the developers of the Crap Cleaner (CCleaner) software they have started to bundle Yahoo! Toolbar. Many long time users, pc technicians, and even new users have been complaining about the recent addition of the Yahoo! Toolbar. With the inclusion of the toolbar the download size has more than doubled.

But this is not going without notice. Earlier today Softpedia revoked CCleaner's 100% Clean (No Spyware, No Adware, No Viruses) award. The Softpedia staff explain the reason for the removal of the award in clear red letters to warn users who may wish to download the software.

CCleaner now contains Yahoo! toolbar, therefore the award has been removed and the program marked as adware.

Perhaps the loss of the Softpedia award and the outcries of the users will help the developers of CCleaner to remove the toolbar and better listen to their users. Do you think the developers of CCleaner will listen? No. After taking over three months to solve a simple bug that was wiping out settings for MSN Messenger despite a solution being posted on their forums, the removal of the toolbar more than likely won't be a top priority on their list either.

Read More...

• Moderators

I'm just waiting to see if anti-spyware programs start detecting the setup file as an adware installer. With that said CCleaner only cleans things I already have a single batch file configured to do but with a GUI. I only hope CCleaner regains its once-had glory of being considered adware free such as the Softpedia.com 100% Award which isn't to be taken lightly in this day an age with adware and spyware rampant.

Although AntiVir has detected CCleaner's setup file in the past as a Trojan now it will be difficult to refute that it isn't giving anymore false positive detections - hence the inclusion of the Yahoo Toolbar, however I suspect that switching to a different installation compiler altogether such as Inno Setup for example "may" cure false positives if the Yahoo Toolbar is removed.

To be perfectly honest I'd rather CCleaner become commercial pay-for-it software without the added Yahoo Toolbar. I guess nothing lasts forever.

To be perfectly honest I'd rather CCleaner become commercial pay-for-it software without the added Yahoo Toolbar. I guess nothing lasts forever.

I would rather that too. I pay anyway.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Earlier today Softpedia revoked CCleaner's 100% Clean (No Spyware, No Adware, No Viruses) award. The Softpedia staff explain the reason for the removal of the award in clear red letters to warn users who may wish to download the software.

CCleaner now contains Yahoo! toolbar, therefore the award has been removed and the program marked as adware.

CCleaner... marked... as ADWARE?! crying.gif

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

I pay anyway.

Call me a skeptical user of so-called "freeware" because I've previously been bitten when previously clean programs all of a sudden started to come bundled with toolbars, etc., after I had donated to incourage the continuation of development as freeware without some questionable s**t bundled into the installer - which I'd never use or recommend in a million years. I never donate to any software anymore for that very reason, call it a paranoia omen.

It's also the reason why I use an older version of IrfanView since the only thing good about Yahoo in my opinion is Yahoo! TV, but my praises for them bluntly end there as I block everything else they have.

Edit: Fixed typo's.

You wasted your time to write that, and mine to read it.

But it did bring him up to 77 posts! :D

come to think of it, this post brings me up to 634! yay useless posts! :P

ding, ding!

Yeh it sucks that CCleaner has bundled this Yahoo! toolbar.

CCleaner has a loyal userbase, it sucks that the developer (Mr.G), dont seem to care about it, he never post on the forum except when there is an anouncement. And he dont fix simple bugs complained for months.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I don't think so Agumon. The installer with the Yahoo Toolbar is being offered as the default download.

Frankly though, I don't see what's the point of this. Many legitimate and popular software have Google toolbar bundled inside too (with an option to opt out, just like CCleaner).

I don't think so Agumon. The installer with the Yahoo Toolbar is being offered as the default download.

Frankly though, I don't see what's the point of this. Many legitimate and popular software have Google toolbar bundled inside too (with an option to opt out, just like CCleaner).

Yeh, but;

1. Those software dont claim to be privacy cleaners.

2. Who said we dont have anything against those software too?

3. Just because someone does something, does not justify someone else for doing the same.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Yeh, but;

1. Those software dont claim to be privacy cleaners.

2. Who said we dont have anything against those software too?

3. Just because someone does something, does not justify someone else for doing the same.

Excellent points.

I still don't understand why CCleaner can't just have an Add-ons or Support section, where people can download those apps by their own free will. Wouldn't Yahoo! still consider that valid? Or does a program have to be bloated and sneaky before Yahoo! considers it worthwhile and worthy of being paid for?

ding, ding!

But it did bring him up to 77 posts! :D

come to think of it, this post brings me up to 634! yay useless posts! :P

634 posts since Dec. 21st? OMG :o:blink::huh:!

MikeRochip (Italics Version MRi 1.0 BETA Prerelease Evaluation Unsupported Tardware) always found lokoike's "avatar" a little scary. Realizing now that it is a live webcam, MR is now terrified! Investing heavily in coffee futures...

Well... actually now it is closer to 689. Guess I like to post or something. :D

As it is obvious the lokoike Virus Beta works swimmingly, it has been recently deemed a "completed version". And dats what u get fo dissing yo sistas picha, foo!

ding, ding!

• Moderators

Award restored. Unfortunately nobody notified us about an ad free version being released. So we're very sorry for delaying the update/release.

That's good to hear. I don't know what kind of conflicts if any will happen with the CCleaner owners and Softpedia since I notice you're now hosting the clean version which isn't supposed to be mirrored according to this statement on the CCleaner download page:

They are not for distribution or mirroring.

"You are not allowed to distribute the light versions, you're only allowed to distribute the version that includes spyware/adware". :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good piece of software, by well meaning author(s) ?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png