CLEARING THE C -CLEANER REGISTRY

remoat

Hardware: PC.

O.S. Software: Windows Professional XP/SP3.

Application: C -Cleaner (freeware)

v.3.20.1750.

when i use the registry option, c -cleaner finds the issues to be dealt with.. when i click on "fix selected issues", a window opens that says, "do you want to backup changes to the registry? yes/no/cancel" i always answer "no".. a computer tech said he cant get around the message.. how do i suppress this message? i have downloaded the application several times and still have the message..

when i use the registry option, c -cleaner finds the issues to be dealt with.. when i click on "fix selected issues", a window opens that says, "do you want to backup changes to the registry? yes/no/cancel" i always answer "no".. a computer tech said he cant get around the message.. how do i suppress this message? i have downloaded the application several times and still have the message..

Switch computer techs. ;)

Untick ► Options\Advanced\☐Show prompt to backup registry issues

That prompt to save changes is a fundamental safety feature of the program. We often see cries for help by users who've damaged their computers by not backing up registry changes.

Adept users always backup registry changes.

• Moderators

Switch computer techs. ;)

Spot on !!

On a serious note, like kroozer points out it makes sense to backup the keys you are going to clean up when offered the chance to do so.

If you are unable to spot a tickbox in the ccleaner settings then your chances of recovering from a reg clean screwup are slim.

Is there are reason why you don't want to back them up? It is just a few kb's.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

o_O such a haphazard cleaning of the registry will indeed some day come back and bite you.

you should ALWAYS take care when registry cleaning ( following my below advice is a start)

A problem from mass cleaning like that might not rear it's head for months.

That said a caught issue, can often be fixed by the backed up registry entries, or at least you'll know what you removed, that's why it asks you if you want to make a backup. I only say no if I'm removing a few entries and I know I definitely don't need them.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Just say yes. :lol:

Seriously, CCleaner will save them to same place (of your choice) every time. If everything still works OK, just delete the old ones. They have the date appended.

I use a dedicated folder called "CC_backups", it contains a bunch of backups with names like "cc_acrobat1_20110816_131613.reg". I added the "acrobat1" part to help remember which did what.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Remoat, the main Registry section that gives problems is Unused File Extensions. Next most, is Missing Shared DLL's. Next is Active X and Class Issues.

Around 95% of problems come from Unused File Extensions taking out things it shouldn't, while missing shared DLL's is around 4.5%, & Active X around 0.5%.

It has gotten much better than older versions used to be, but still is not perfect.

If you untick the first 3 options, it should be relatively safe. I normally just untick Unused File Extensions.

You still want to backup if you have not much experience. Review the entries before removing them, at the least.

i am grateful to all who answered my inquiry.. while some may feel the need to backup files, i do not.. my pc is for home recreational use.. i have not wished i had backed up files to this point.. i only wish i had the option to decide what i wanted to do.. i thought computers were all about customizing the machine to my needs, and not limited to what options the manufacturer chose to allow.. i will continue to decline the backup option, but i dont understand why c -cleaner wont give me the chance to set this function to a permanent change that i want.. would i have to buy a subscription to set the message not to appear again?

• Moderators

i only wish i had the option to decide what i wanted to do.

Actually you do have that option available! Although I'd highly advice against using it because not very long ago when Piriform made the registry cleaner more powerful the "File Associations" part in it really had some users very worried to use it and rightfully so, still to this day I'm leary of it and look over very well what it wants to remove, which basically means don't blindly trust it. The "File Associations" part was the one thing that made me turn the backup prompt back on, and I had it turned off for many years but after the File Associations became more aggressive I had to re-think that little setting.

When dealing with any registry cleaner including the one in CCleaner it's exactly like Nergal stated earlier in this topic "such a haphazard cleaning of the registry will indeed some day come back and bite you".

How to disable the prompt to backup registry cleaner changes (not recommended):

1. Start CCleaner.

2. Click Options, then click Advanced.

3. Untick the box Show prompt to backup registry issues.

I usually back up the Registry keys when a lot of them have been found by CCleaner for the first time, usually on new machines with a lot of bloatware.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.