CCleaner Community Forums
nodles

The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

ff v78.0.2

09. july 2020

Fixed

• Security fix

• Fixed an accessibility regression in reader mode (bug 1650922)

• Made the address bar more resilient to data corruption in the user profile (bug 1649981)

• Fixed a regression opening certain external applications (bug 1650162)

Sorry, early morning Brain Fade.

I've removed that post.

ff v79.0

28. july 2020

New

• We’ve rolled out WebRender to more Windows users with Intel and AMD GPUs, bringing improved graphics performance to an even larger audience.

• Firefox users in Germany will now see more Pocket recommendations in their new tab featuring some of the best stories on the web. If you don’t see them, you can turn on Pocket articles in your new tab by following these steps.

Fixed

• Various security fixes.

• Several crashes while using a screen reader were fixed, including a frequently encountered crash when using the JAWS screen reader.

• Firefox Developer Tools received significant fixes allowing screen reader users to benefit from some of the tools that were previously inaccessible.

• SVG title and desc elements (labels and descriptions) are now correctly exposed to assistive technology products such as screen readers.

Enterprise

• A number of bug fixes and new policies have been implemented in the latest version of Firefox. You can see more details in the Firefox for Enterprise 79 Release Notes.

• Updates to the password policy allow admins to require a primary password (formerly called master password. Previously the policy could disable the primary password but not force a primary password. Users required to use a primary password will only be asked to create a primary password the first time they try to save a password.

Developer

Developer Information

• Newly added asynchronous call stacks let developers trace their async code through events, timeouts, and promises. The async execution chains are shown in the Debugger’s call stack, but also for stack traces in Console errors and Network initiators.

• Erroneous network responses with 4xx/5xx status codes display as errors in the Console, making it easy to understand them in the context of related logs. The request/response details can be expanded or resent for quick debugging.

• JavaScript errors are now visible not only in the Console, but also in the Debugger. The relevant line of code will be highlighted and display error details on hover.

• Opening SCSS and CSS-in-JS sources from the Inspector now works more reliably thanks to improved source map handling across all panels.

• Inspecting accessibility properties from the browser context menu is now available to all users by default.

ff v68.11.0 esr

28. july 2020

Fixed

Security Vulnerabilities fixed in Firefox ESR 68.11

Announced July 28, 2020
Impact high
Products Firefox ESR
Fixed in
  • Firefox ESR 68.11

#CVE-2020-15652: Potential leak of redirect targets when loading scripts in a worker

Reporter Mikhail Oblozhikhin
Impact high
Description

By observing the stack trace for JavaScript errors in web workers, it was possible to leak the result of a cross-origin redirect. This applied only to content that can be parsed as script.

References

#CVE-2020-6514: WebRTC data channel leaks internal address to peer

Reporter Natalie Silvanovich of Google Project Zero
Impact high
Description

WebRTC used the memory address of a class instance as a connection identifier. Unfortunately, this value is often transmitted to the peer, which allows bypassing ASLR.

References

#CVE-2020-6463: Use-after-free in ANGLE gl::Texture::onUnbindAsSamplerTexture

Reporter Reported by Pawel Wylecial of REDTEAM.PL
Impact moderate
Description

Crafted media files could lead to a race in texture caches, resulting in a use-after-free, memory corruption, and a potentially exploitable crash.

References

#CVE-2020-15650: Overwriting local files through malicious file picker application

Reporter Pedro Oliveira
Impact moderate
Description

Given an installed malicious file picker application, an attacker was able to overwrite local files and thus overwrite Firefox settings (but not access the previous profile).
Note: This issue only affected Firefox for Android. Other operating systems are unaffected.

References

#CVE-2020-15649: Exfiltrating local files through malicious file picker application

Reporter Pedro Oliveira
Impact moderate
Description

Given an installed malicious file picker application, an attacker was able to steal and upload local files of their choosing, regardless of the actually files picked.
Note: This issue only affected Firefox for Android. Other operating systems are unaffected.

References

#CVE-2020-15659: Memory safety bugs fixed in Firefox 79 and Firefox ESR 68.11

Reporter Mozilla developers
Impact high
Description

Mozilla developers Jason Kratzer and Luke Wagner reported memory safety bugs present in Firefox 78 and Firefox ESR 68.10. Some of these bugs showed evidence of memory corruption and we presume that with enough effort some of these could have been exploited to run arbitrary code.

References

I strongly suggest FF users read this. Especially the comments under the article... it doesn't sound good.

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/08/11/mozilla-lays-off-250-employees-in-massive-company-reorganization/

In case anyone misses this link too in the comments under the article

https://twitter.com/MichalPurzynski/status/1293220570885062657

''They killed entire threat management team. Mozilla is now without detection and incident response''

Reminds me of what I was saying the other day about needing browser alternatives instead of umpteen Chromium/Chrome clones (i.e.; like needing something like Edge Legacy), I thought Firefox was on borrowed time now this.

A lot of companies seem to be using C-19 as an excuse to do what they wanted to anyway. (Laying off staff, cutting product ranges, increasing prices, etc).
Much easier to blame 'the plauge' rather than admit it's a business decision.

Did you see the other day that Eurostar claimed that only First Class passengers could now access wifi on their cross-channel trains "due to coronavirus"?
Hard to see how a disease in humans could affect in-tunnel wifi broadcast for some parts of a train but not others, but of course if you pay the extra for first class.....
(They have since u-turned and restored wifi to standard class, they must have found a miracle cure).

As far as mozilla, I suspect that someone has realised that the open source community seem to do most of their work for them so why are they paying all these employees?

The comments about the diversity of new (unwanted?) initiatives and products rather than concentrating on the core product is something that always happens.
(Years ago Kellogs moving into other cereals and not just cornflakes simply lost them most of the cornflake market).
It seems to be happening with quite a few software companies at the moment, I see it as a wave of 'new' executives trying to make an impression by championing new products and forgetting what the company is about.

I see Firefox continuing, run by the open source community, but mozilla maybe not.

I'm not sure about the security issue, not knowing just what that team were doing anyway, we'll see what comes out in the wash once all the shouting dies down.
With Malwarebytes Browser Guard and MB Anti-Exploit both running real time, I'm not too worried yet.

I think Firefox is in trouble. People are moving to other browsers because of problems the latest builds have caused.

3 hours ago, hazelnut said:

I think Firefox is in trouble. People are moving to other browsers because of problems the latest builds have caused.

That's why I've been using ESR Portable builds for a few years now. It's still my primary browser but it was difficult to migrate back to it after years of only using Chromium clones.