Sound Loss

Winapp2.ini

I keep having issues with sound loss for various applications, mostly Osu! and Firefox but sometimes others. There's no predictable pattern, but they (Osu! far more frequently than Firefox) sometimes just cut out entirely, and require an application restart to regain sound.

I'm at a loss for anything that'd cause this. Any ideas?

• Moderators

I hate to ask this, but which Operating System are we talking about? :)

If Win 7 I wonder if it's anything to do with this ...

Default Sound Device being switched:

You don't say as to whether other programs are still producing sound OK during this glitch.

EDIT: Also found this ...

How to Repair an Intermittent Audio Device:

• Moderators

I always wear headphones on my computer, but I occasionally realise after 30 or 40 minutes that I haven't switched the music on. ;)

Anyways, it couldn't be a registry entry issue could it. Something like this where the problem was only on-line sounds ...

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-22335-no-sound-on-internet

The intermittent ones are the worst to pin down it seems.

I keep having issues with sound loss for various applications, mostly Osu! and Firefox but sometimes others. There's no predictable pattern, but they (Osu! far more frequently than Firefox) sometimes just cut out entirely, and require an application restart to regain sound.

Winapp2, when you have multiple tabs open in Firefox, particularly, if each of them are a tab that utilizes audio (ie, game, youtube, etc), it is very common that the sound will be cut out from one or more of the tabs.

If you use more than 10 or so tabs, it becomes even more common to have phantom tabs that have no audio.

I am not certain how many tabs you open, or how many contain audio/music, but I find multiple tabs do cause loss of audio on some of the tabs, & progressively so, the more that you have open.

*I am unsure if this is a flash or a windows problem. Updated flash lately by chance?

If you are wearing earphones because the loudspeakers are intermittent it may be hardware or a bad soldered joint,

and Windows Event monitoring 99.99% correctly assumes all faults are Windows faults and does not report broken wires :lol:

The wire works fine, something about the specific application's interactions with windows seems to cause the problem. My computer has other strange issues as well, so a clean install can't hurt.

Ex. I can use the monitor speakers to play music from Zune Player for hours at a time (thought I don't, so as not to annoy my floor mates) but anywhere between instantly upon opening, to never happening with Osu!, the audio will cut out and require Osu! to be restarted. It's a new issue, and I haven't knowingly updated Osu! or changed windows settings recently.