Sound Loss

Winapp2.ini

Winapp, try a different audio card.

I think your trouble has to be in the audio card, or the motherboard itself.

I have used AMD in the past with mixed results.

But AMD, at the time of testing, did not separate their digital & their analogue channels.

I also had problems with built in AMD graphics, because on some games they would work great, while others they would cause blocky graphics.

It never was a driver problem, because I used older/newer drivers with the same results.

Additionally, I researched AMD somewhat after the fact to find out the cause.

In both cases, using a different audio & or video card that was not an AMD one, would fix the problem.

That said, I think AMD is good in certain areas, but I never had problems with Intel boards because they do separate their digital & their analogue audio channels. I also noted that while you may have problems with Intel integrated graphics, for the most part, it does work, & work fine.

I would try a non AMD audio card.

Try it with a different audio card, & see if that fixes your problem.

It fixed it for me, when I was using an AMD board, so I would be interested in seeing if that fixes it for you, as well.

Thank you!

* Edit - Do you have a link to the game OSU! demo that you were using? I realize you probably have the full version, but I may be interested in trying it out on my machine so that I can test & see what I can discover concerning audio. And to see if it produces the same results on my machine. While the trouble could possibly be in the game itself, I am somewhat 99% sure that it is in your AMD audio, & thus, I am about 99% certain that using a non AMD audio card in your PCI/PCI Express slot will fix it, as per the above explanation concerning AMD not separating their analogue & digital audio signals.

However, I do like to test things, so if you get the time & feel up to it, you may send me a link to the game demo online so I can test the demo & see what it does on my machine. I am somewhat intrigued.

Winapp, you have no paging file. I remember once discovering in Win98 that if I disabled paging the sound messed up.

Maybe that won't fix it, but it's one more item to consider. :)

Hmmm, interesting, but does this even apply to Windows 7?

Just wondering...

I know for instance, Win 98 had true dos, while XP changed to HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) emulation, & then Vista & 7 changed it yet again.

It's actually a free game - you need to download "song packs" though to play with them. They're also free.

www.osu.ppy.sh

Few questions, if you will. It seems to work fine on my machine, & I have no problems with audio, although I am using XP SP2 at the moment for testing.

- Have you uninstalled ur current version, & downloaded the latest release? I thought I saw something on audio fixes on the last version they have.

- If this does not work, have you tried their beta version they have of the game?

- If this does not work, have you tried running the game in a virtual machine under XP mode to see if that works any better?

- Do you have any other soundcards to test to be sure it isn't in the AMD audio?

Of course, & you do have the required amount of RAM & processor speed, I presume... I checked the commit charge (CTRL + ALT + DEL to bring up Windows task manager) & I am using just below 50% of installed RAM at the moment. And, I do have firefox & other apps open right now.

* Just wondering, do you have any free RAM left over? I know that if you run out of RAM & start paging to the HDD/SDD, you can run into problems in lag/audio performance.

If any of these fixes it, let me know, & let me know which one does the trick. Thanks!

P.S. Thanks for the game link! Seems to work fine at the moment on my XP machine I am testing it on. Will update you later if it fails for some reason. The original link you listed failed to load in my Firefox browser till I took www. off of it, then it worked.

-> Tested on a dual core 3.2 GHZ P4 machine with 2 GB RAM, XP PRO SP2, 80 GB (7,200 RPM hdd) using a creative 512 sound card outputted to two 120 watt speakers.

- I just uninstalled Osu! and reinstalled it after reading your post. I'll let you know hif there's a change,

- No

- No

- No

- I have 12GB of RAM, running my usual set of applications (including Osu!) I am sitting at 3.94 used, firefox as usual eating the most at ~700MB

* Note to self... Although a large number of 32 bit software will run fine in 64 bit 7, have you considered virtual machining a 32 bit version, to check if that could be a problem? Or perhaps check for the latest 64 bit sound driver for your hardware, direct from the manufacturer site of your audio card?

Thanks to Winapp2.ini and this post I must admit I'm now playing osu!

It's working fine on my computer. I have Windows 7 64bits, 6GB of RAM and an on-board sound card.

[ Cool Piriform User Bar Needed ]

Thanks to Winapp2.ini and this post I must admit I'm now playing osu!

It's working fine on my computer. I have Windows 7 64bits, 6GB of RAM and an on-board sound card.

Nice to know that at least we know that 64 Bit 7 works great, so now I think we can say that it must be in your sound.

Try a new card, hopefully, one that is NOT an AMD one.

Perhaps Asus Xonar, or Rockfish by chance?