How do i know if my computer has Viruses?

kel23

I had a lot of viruses in the past, but i just re-install windows XP to get rid of them. Can viruses still be on your computer after doing a full install of Windows XP? Like rootkits and trojans that people on other forums talk about. Is sandboxie a good program for not getting any viruses? what else can i do to be safe?

Is sandboxie a good program for not getting any viruses? what else can i do to be safe?

I've been a Sandboxie user for several years now and am very satisfied. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's not too steep and they have an active forum for those with questions. Plus there are some of us here that use Sandboxie that may offer additional help.

I always browse in a sandbox, and use several features in the paid version (such as Forced Folders) as additional, protective steps. For me, Sandboxie is the primary arsenal in staying bug-free. (Since I test new software in sandboxes, it also helps keep my system from getting too cluttered up.) Then I supplement Sandboxie with my AV (Nod32) and SuperAntispyware. I'm not saying this set-up is perfect, but it's been very effective.

• Moderators

Then I supplement Sandboxie with my AV (Nod32) and SuperAntispyware. I'm not saying this set-up is perfect, but it's been very effective.

What you're doing is called layered-protection which is often the most effective approach nowadays, I also use layered-protection because just counting on one thing to protect the computer in reality isn't enough.

I tried Sandboxie a few years ago and I couldn't make heads or tails between the dual 'Explorer trees'. I couldn't even tell which was which. I looked in the Tutorial/Help section and it was like trying to learn Flash or html or something. Obviously not very GUI intuitive. (Come back, MetaCreations!) Seemed more like an old 1995 FTP app. I'd really, truly like to take advantage of this app but not at the cost of tearing my hair out. Any advice on getting Sandboxie For Dummies material?

^^^ :P Would you believe I googled "sandboxie for dummies" and got this?

Yes........yes I would. :lol: I know I know I know, I could've searched for it on Google or Bing, but I also know that you guys would direct me to to bestest fastest solution to this than Google or Bing ever could. You're just so much more on top of things than (cough/spit) Google, etc.

And that's a definite compliment. :D I bookmarked that site and will check it out soon.

• Moderators

Corona this my help you get started. Start at post number 21

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=266765

It is a slightly old thread but most of the principles in that still apply, plus it has graphics :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

...Can viruses still be on your computer after doing a full install of Windows XP?

... what else can i do to be safe?

For peace of mind, go to the Spyware Hell Forum and get your system analyzed. :)

Start here: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

To maintain security, do this stuff: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20214

The folks at Piriform have created these pages to help members cure their systems and keep them safe.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I had a lot of viruses in the past, but i just re-install windows XP to get rid of them. Can viruses still be on your computer after doing a full install of Windows XP? Like rootkits and trojans that people on other forums talk about. Is sandboxie a good program for not getting any viruses? what else can i do to be safe?

-> How to know if your computer has viruses. While there is no 100% foolproof way, if you notice unusual popups, scam offers for fake antivirus removal solutions, drastic slowdowns in normal computer use, or hijacked search settings, you can be sure you probably have some kind of malware or virus.

-> What should I do to help secure my PC? Do not use an OS older than XP SP2. This was when MS integrated a decent firewall. Use a good antivirus solution, such as AVG free. Use a better web browser such as Firefox to avoid the nasty auto-installs of malware that happen when you visit a webpage that is maliciously crafted if your using Internet Explorer.

-> Sandboxie is a good program, yes.

-> Do not install random smiley toolbars, coupons toolbars, & various other "freebie" trash on the web that frequently hijack settings and or install other malwares.

-> They do have worms/viruses that are resident in MFT & memory areas. Typically, a format & clean install will get rid of them, but if you run across the occasional stray, run fdkisk /mbr, then format & setup Windows like normal.