Albanian? Really?

Bubby43

While doing a check today I got a notice that there was a newer version that I should download. I went to the usual site and did the usual steps but when the window opened to select a language it was set for Albanian. I tried to change it to English but it would go momentarily to Chines then after 1-2 seconds revert to Albanian. I went to different sites with the same results. Any ideas what's going on? I have done various malware and virus scans to see if that could be the issue but it didn't make any difference. Anybody have any suggestions other than getting Rosetta Stone Albanian?

I believe he/she is after Rosetta Stone, the language learning software.

Are you talking about the drop-down language selector on the website? It uses javascript heavily, so if you are running an older browser it may render incorrectly. If you are talking about the software itself, try doing a clean uninstall (preferably with something like Revo Uninstaller) then reboot the pc and try again.

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

No no no. The OP made a joke as to the way to read the Albanian (that's the reference to rosetta stone)

I assume This is supposed to be about a Piriform product (speccy, Defraggler, CCleaner, recuva), If it is, try this. Delete the folder LANG from the program folder.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

The OP made a joke as to the way to read the Albanian (that's the reference to rosetta stone)

I got that joke, but still, what app were they referring to? What weird parameters do they set outside the free world toward Piriform products?

No no no. The OP made a joke as to the way to read the Albanian (that's the reference to rosetta stone)

I assume This is supposed to be about a Piriform product (speccy, Defraggler, CCleaner, recuva), If it is, try this. Delete the folder LANG from the program folder.

It's CCleaner that is giving me the problem. I cannot seem to find either program folder or LANG folder.

Uninstall CCleaner and then go here http://www.filehippo.com/ and download CCleaner (you'll see it in the upper right of the page). Filehippo is a trusted source for applications.

I have done all those steps multiple times (including this AM) and am still unable to undo Albanian and get English. I thought I might have an Albanian hacker problem but none of the security software finds anything.

• Moderators

The program folder is the CCleaner folder (by default it is c:\program files\CCleaner) in that folder is the languages folder. Where did you first download CCleaner from.

•  
  • Try this
  • Uninstall CCleaner
  • Open Regedit
  • Delete all Piriform entries in HKcurrentuser>Software
  • open the program files folder (or the folder where you installed CCleaner)
  • Make sure there are no CCleaner folders or files
  • Open %appdata% (paste that exact thing, including the %, into the run box in your start menu)
  • delete any CCleaner folders in there that you see
  • Reinstall CCleaner from a reputable source, either CCleaner.com or FileHippo.com

Nothing should be causing the Albanian except something in either the registry, the appdata folder or the CCleaner program folder. The issue is somewhere in there

You state you've already tried this many times, however, something tells me you keep using the same installer instead of downloading it from a reputable place (unofficial download spots could include a tweaked version that the built-in lang is Albanian and not English, or even a tweaked version that contains a malware (though I highly doubt any of this is malware related1)

1 If it is malware we'll need you to follow the steps in the "Spyware Hell" part of this site and post there. We are not authorized, nor even should we be, to dispense advice on that subject.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I cannot seem to find either program folder or LANG folder.

Ninja'd by Nergal. :)

CCleaner is DL'd to your designated Download folder. You can find CC by DLing a program and checking where it will go.

If you still can't find the folder, DL and run Everything search engine.

Type in CCleaner. It will find the folder for you. Delete the Lang folder.

The program folder is the CCleaner folder (by default it is c:\program files\CCleaner) in that folder is the languages folder. Where did you first download CCleaner from.

•  
  • Try this
  • Uninstall CCleaner
  • Open Regedit
  • Delete all Piriform entries in HKcurrentuser>Software
  • open the program files folder (or the folder where you installed CCleaner)
  • Make sure there are no CCleaner folders or files
  • Open %appdata% (paste that exact thing, including the %, into the run box in your start menu)
  • delete any CCleaner folders in there that you see
  • Reinstall CCleaner from a reputable source, either CCleaner.com or FileHippo.com

Nothing should be causing the Albanian except something in either the registry, the appdata folder or the CCleaner program folder. The issue is somewhere in there

You state you've already tried this many times, however, something tells me you keep using the same installer instead of downloading it from a reputable place (unofficial download spots could include a tweaked version that the built-in lang is Albanian and not English, or even a tweaked version that contains a malware (though I highly doubt any of this is malware related1)

1 If it is malware we'll need you to follow the steps in the "Spyware Hell" part of this site and post there. We are not authorized, nor even should we be, to dispense advice on that subject.

I have never dowloaded from anywhere but filehippo until two days ago AFTER the problem started and have now tried to download from piri with the same results.

That said, I have done all the steps tho they were slightly different than described (eg. %appdata% open to a file called Roaming). Nothing included any references to ccleaner or piri so I guess I just give up. FYI, it works fine on my desktop, only the laptop is an issue. Thanks for trying to help me.

• Moderators

Make sure your browser cache is empty.

Go to the bottom of the builds page here and try the slim build

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Download to your desktop or downloads folder, and install from there (in other words do not choose 'run' from the download box, instead choose 'save')

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Make sure your browser cache is empty.

Go to the bottom of the builds page here and try the slim build

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Download to your desktop or downloads folder, and install from there (in other words do not choose 'run' from the download box, instead choose 'save')

It still comes up with Albanian default language and it cannot be changed. Thanks for trying.

• Moderators

If you can't find the CC folder or Lang folder then the simple answer is to search your drive for CCleaner or ccleaner.exe.

When you've found the folder see if you have a file called portable.dat in it. If so kill it. Kill CCleaner.ini too. In fact kill the entire folder and reinstall.

This thread might help. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32347

If you can't find the CC folder or Lang folder then the simple answer is to search your drive for CCleaner or ccleaner.exe.

When you've found the folder see if you have a file called portable.dat in it. If so kill it. Kill CCleaner.ini too. In fact kill the entire folder and reinstall.

This thread might help. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32347

anything/everything related to ccleaner or piri has been deleted for several days now but I am still getting Albanian on the download for reinstall. I am giving up. Thanks for trying to help me.

Are you sure you are deleting your browser cache before trying again?

Have you tried a different browser for the download?

I deleted the cache and then dowloaded firefox and tried again. Came up Albanian again. I think this isn't worth your or my time. Thanks for trying.

• Moderators
I am giving up.

No, you can't go now! Have a look in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piriform\CCleaner and see what value is set in Language. Albanian is 1052, Eng is 1033. Try editing it.

Assuming you're not using the portable version try deleting the entire Lang folder (Eng is contained within the exec).

Oh, but I must give up. I have spent the better part of two days following all the various tips to no avail. I believe I have removed all traces of piri and ccleaner so cannot find something/anything to edit. I really do appreciate everyone trying to help me but I guess I am beyond help. I can live without ccleaner - at this point it has just become a challenge; a challenge, sadly, I failed. Thanks again.