Optional Downloadable Skins for CCleaner

Ishi

Since some people, including myself think that the old CCleaner icons of version 2 were better, how about building downloadable skins (themes) for CCleaner. This will give us a chance to see a newer feel to the UI of CCleaner. CCleaner is very popular, the most popular computer maintenance tool in the world, really. Its just right that it gets a major makeover. Its seems like a great idea and its FUN. Just look at Firefox for example, you have the option to change its theme and there are thousands of third party themes for Firefox.

Remember, this is OPTIONAL so installing CCleaner won't have to come with so many skins embedded in the package. You have to download the skins manually from their site and they would be applied like a patch. And CCleaner will also have a menu for choosing and removing skins under the Options menu. Upgrading to a newer version of CCleaner doesn't wipe out the installed themes.

What do you think??? What are your thoughts and what can you add to this idea???

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

This was a response to this thread:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=30356

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

I would like it. I had asked for this a long long time back and got a coherent reply saying that we hardly use CCleaner for more than 3 times a day - 15 seconds each (maximum) and it wouldn't make too much sense.

Simplicity is hard.

Well I think I use it more often than 3 times a day whenever I feel like pressing CCleaner. I think its not a popular idea but it does make sense to have a little fun.

I disagree. CC will probably get bloated that way and it's not a very useful feature.

I disagree.

Support for other icons & themes should not take too many lines.

If a user decided to keep the default, it would still be about the same size.

Size only increased if they chose to use a skin, & even then, it would be minimal impact.

Instead of skins on CCleaner, wouldn't it be a lot simpler & take up almost no extra space to add support to change CCleaner color?

You could change the color on Windows Media Player by simply dragging a slider bar! Black, green, red, blue, etc.

How about support to just allow all Piriform products to have an adjustable slider to change the color? Include an eyedropper tool to exact match another color on the screen!

Program would save the new color to .ini file.

Maybe support color/contrast of the color/fade support.

Anyone else like this idea? This would not need any new skins, & people could change colors on the fly to match things!

Well changing the background color like on Windows Media Player 11 does not change the icons which some of us dislike in the newer version.

I agree with a CCleaner upgrade that features Aero icons and better GUI. Themes will take more effort to implement but offers a more varied feel.

Thumbs down to skins.

Thumbs up to a version 3 update to GUI and Icons. (Aero)

Thumbs up to you. Skins are useless - running CCleaner more than one time a day is either overkill or having too much free time.

Piriform French translator

Thumbs up to you. Skins are useless - running CCleaner more than one time a day is either overkill or having too much free time.

Not necessarily.

I frequently have 2 to 800 tabs open on firefox (or more).

I also tend to test a lot of programs (leaving a lot of files in temp directories).

It just depends on what you do on the computer!

So lets settle this with customizable background color plus a redesign of the new icons for CCleaner v.3 on future releases.

I personally think that new versions of CCleaner are released faster than other software, but I really want less version updates but with more innovations and improvements on every update. Someone had suggested that, actually. There isn't much significance between CCleaner versions maybe 4 or even 5 updates apart if you are not using the programs that gets supported by CCleaner on the newer version.

But I say the UI needs a tweak.

I personally think that new versions of CCleaner are released faster than other software, but I really want less version updates but with more innovations and improvements on every update. Someone had suggested that, actually. There isn't much significance between CCleaner versions maybe 4 or even 5 updates apart if you are not using the programs that gets supported by CCleaner on the newer version.

But I say the UI needs a tweak.

Couldn't agree more.

Simplicity is hard.

• Moderators

Updates are released frequently

1) to fix bugs (these are the same week releases such as ccleaner v3.00.1303 (28 Oct 2010) to v3.00.1310 (03 Nov 2010). Which cause features of the program not to work right)

2) to cover new programs for which are released often themselves (usually these releases are on a 1 month basis as in v2.35.1219 (25 Aug 2010) to v2.36.1233 (27 Sep 2010) )

I don't think this is too frequent and I (for many) would much rather see often releases that cover new programs that UI update and "with more innovations and improvements". I do see what you mean by: "(t)here isn't much significance between CCleaner versions maybe 4 or even 5 updates apart if you are not using the programs that gets supported by CCleaner on the newer version", but, isn't that the point of ccleaner to add programs that others might be using in order to have them cleaned?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Updates are released frequently

1) to fix bugs (these are the same week releases such as ccleaner v3.00.1303 (28 Oct 2010) to v3.00.1310 (03 Nov 2010). Which cause features of the program not to work right)

2) to cover new programs for which are released often themselves (usually these releases are on a 1 month basis as in v2.35.1219 (25 Aug 2010) to v2.36.1233 (27 Sep 2010) )

I don't think this is too frequent and I (for many) would much rather see often releases that cover new programs that UI update and "with more innovations and improvements". I do see what you mean by: "(t)here isn't much significance between CCleaner versions maybe 4 or even 5 updates apart if you are not using the programs that gets supported by CCleaner on the newer version", but, isn't that the point of ccleaner to add programs that others might be using in order to have them cleaned?

I am saying that updates often have minimum changes (in my perspective). I want more changes on every update.

With newer and newer versions of CCleaner released on every 2 or 3 months, we still get bug reports after that right??? We still have apps that needed cleaning support. I believe that longer update releases will give more time for the devs to to fix even more bugs and put more improvements in general on every release. And hey, this will also give them more time to add support to even more and more apps that should be cleaned. MORE applications gets supported, more bug fixes, more improvements in general. I think updates done on every 4 or 5 months would have more significance.

And I think the update with a new UI redesign or tweak will be thrilling and fun.

but, isn't that the point of ccleaner to add programs that others might be using in order to have them cleaned?

I think this is great! CCleaner is no doubt, wonderful.

I just think it would be awesome if it had a few minor tweaks such as the way things are grouped.

I agree... Small tweaks such as having all 3rd party apps under Applications tab, all web browsers under Internet tab, & all windows locations under Windows...

It is slightly confusing to see web browsers listed on both tabs... etc...

Course, this might be making a mountain out of a mole hill, but that's my 2 cents worth right now.

But yeah, guess I can't really complain, cause it is a great app!

* On the + side of things, it may take effort to get this implemented, but once implemented, I would think that this would make development updates easier as well, since every web browser would be under the internet tab, which would make it easier to see what you had/what needed updating.