browser session ccleaning = Buggy default setting imho

yorada

I got quite upset after I ran ccleaner's last update&cleaning - my current sessions from Google Chrome and Firefox disappeared.

This seems to be default setting in the latest version.

Obviously - it is wrong to assume that user's session in a browser is something they don't need. It is like a cleaner coming to my house, throwing away my mail, just because it lies on the floor in front of the door.

I consider this a bug.

CCLEANER v2.35.1219

behaviour mentioned also>

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=29386&st=0&p=176021&hl=session&fromsearch=1entry176021

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=29651&st=0&p=177269&hl=session&fromsearch=1entry177269

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=29473

• Moderators

This is not a bug, it's a feature. You need to uncheck sessions sections

Mozilla Chrome - Session

Google Chrome - Session

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

A Firefox/Chrome session has nothing about privacy issues...unless a) you do things you don't want others to know, B) you were doing them when closing the browser and without using Private Browsing, c) there are people you don't trust with physical access to your computer, and d) they have your password.

The session cleaning is done to gain some free space.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

Its wrong for a privacy cleaner to remove possible privacy issues by default????

Bit of a stupid statement if i ever did see one.

Bit of a tetchy statement if I ever did see one.

It may be a difference in opinion, or a different interpretation of what CC should do, but still a valid comment. Remember Lately.....

This is not a bug, it's a feature. You need to uncheck sessions sections

Mozilla Chrome - Session

Google Chrome - Session

for the love of new features, from my point of view having this option ON as DEFAULT is a bug - [discussed below]

Bit of a tetchy statement if I ever did see one.

It may be a difference in opinion, or a different interpretation of what CC should do, but still a valid comment. Remember Lately.....

I consider ccleaner an amazingly dumb-proof one-click tool for removing garbage from a computer.

For me the genius of CCleaner is that it NEVER deletes anything CRITICAL (unless told to, anyway)

When it deletes OLD (backed up) browser sessions - that's OK, that counts as privacy measure (most people will struggle to even find the files)

But when it deletes my WORKING DOCUMETS [ie web pages] just because i am not looking at them right now, that just feels wrong.

Or maybe I AM werid - because after I close a browser with 15 tabs open, I do expect them to BE there next time i lanuch the browser. Maybe it's because I've been using 'tabs' for ten years?

Of course, it is a workflow preference. Someone else may prefer all open tabs to disappear automatically when they close a browser. Fine - but surely it's kind of weird do it with 3rd-party app, when you can easily[three clicks?] set it in most browsers? [some even ASK you about it!]

As of now it appears that CCleaner "by default" assumes we, users, are too lazy (forgetful, busy, etc...) to close/organize our own browsing session.

Seriously, if I found my girlfriend had cleared&binned my desk in the name of "cleanlines" & "privacy", it wouldn't make me happy, would it?

A compromise maybe, like CCleaner with optional, separate CLEARING & NET-PRIVACY pre-settings? Just an idea...

I can see the real-life practicality of the default setting - but I can also hear couple of hundreds of people scream in disbelief after their sessions disappeared... by the way, do YOU use sessions?

All in all, it's the eternal developer<->user communication loop :-) never perfect...

I recommend CCleaner every week, especially to not-so-geeky-people. Now I will be adding a little warning...

PS> of course... always remember: backup backup backup anyway ;-)

Yes, I agree with Yorada. I had saved various Web Pages that would open by default that saved me from opening them all up individually. I had them all set-up and saved them each time I shut-down Firefox. Each time I re-booted and then started Firefox the web pages would all load automatically. This went on for months. Then one day the normally well-thinking writers of CCleaner decided to add a new feature of cleaning Session information of both Firefox and Google Chrome. This was fine but they also made it the default setting with no warning. If they had included a warning of this and advised those like me who did not want to lose my Session information that would have been fine. I don;'t use Ccleaner as a Privacy Cleaner, I use it to eliminate unwanted files and clean my unwanted cookie History.

It took me a while to find the source of my loss of sessions. I almost thought it was a bug of the latest version of firefox itself.

I implore the makers of Ccleaner to rectify this oversight.

A session cleaner is a good idea in my opinion, but it should be located in Tools or Options with an option to delete all but the most recent one or individually.

The way it is now, what is happening with people losing their sessions was bound to happen. People should read the change log for each new update but the reality is a lot don't. Losing a session isn't as bad as some things but it's still annoying. The way Session is set up now, I think it should be off by default.

Great I have just lost around 1000 tabs across my different Firefox profiles. My point is CCleaner have always be very careful deleting files/registry now I have lost the hughe trust I had. I?m going to have to review every chagelog (consuming time) before updating because there may be a new feature that could delete useful info, in other words I?m going to update less often.

A Firefox/Browser session is info the user choose to save when closing Firefox -> useful info for the user -> something CCleaner shouldn?t delete by default or without a warning.

Thanks god there are older sessionstore files along with some backups and "bookmarked sessions" but still I?m loosing the last weeks work.

Please I think CCleaner is a very finest application and I?m sorry to say the above, but right now I?m only hoping the rest of the users don?t loose important info.

I agree with others that a new default should not make any changes without warning that it will clean more vigorously, but on the other hand I suppose the reason for VOLUNTARILY updating is to have more vigorous cleaning ! !

But a warning would be nice where it changes what has been experienced with the previous installed version.

I trust CCleaner, but I also verify.

Before I update CCleaner I refrain from cleaning for a few days and let the junk accumulate.

I even run a few applications I almost never need.

Then I download the latest Portable CCleaner to a "pending" location and update its *.INI files from the old "active" location.

I can then run both "active" and "pending" versions to analyze only without cleaning.

I compare the analyze results screens side by side.

If the results are identical I upgrade "active" anyway in case there may be some useful improvement in speed or in security against Windows random gotchas.

If the results are different I research all the changes.

If I conclude that a change is not desirable for my specific system I will attempt to reconfigure,

and then upgrade "active" and included my reconfiguration fix.

Actually I have never yet needed to reconfigure,

upgrades have never done me harm - but I want to stay in control.

Alan

• 10 months later...

I registered just to complain about this setting. I use session manager extention for Chrome and Firefox. Its like bookmarking, It saves the webpages I need to visit later on. Thanks to the default setting of ccleaner, it erased all of my bookmarks/sessions. Why on earth would you make that a default setting!

I currently disabled ccleaner update check because frankly im afraid of updating this program then finding out the hard way again that ccleaner destroyed my data again because the progam default was to erase it.

This has got to be the worst mistake you guys made.

CCleaner's had browser session cleaning for awhile now and it's always been on by default. Even after loud complaints it looks like it's business as usual. This is one reason why my opinion of CCleaner has dropped quite a bit.

One should always be careful not to just let programs run as they please once updating them. You're at least a bit at fault for not checking to make sure nothing new was added before letting it run.

So true.

Everyone wants to update and get some extra cleaning power - but there can be consequences to anticipate.

Before using the latest I always run both old and new simultaneously side-by-side,

and analyse (only without cleaning) to check out compatibility with my system and its organisation.