Longest Uptime

Parvez

Less than 48 hours.

Some people seem to think it is "cool" to have an high uptime, and compete with others about who has the highest uptime.

But it unnescesary to have the computer on, when it's not in use. People should think about electricity, and save nature and money on their power bills. Computers are taking up alot of electricity in the world.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Mine is on for probably about 16-17 hours a day. I cut it on and check out a few things before I leave for the day and cut it off when I go to bed. If you dont have a ups hooked up to your pc than its probably not a good idea to leave it on all the time(Luckily I do have a pretty good one hooked to my machine). This will save your files when the power goes out and will help if you have lightning storms a lot.(it wont completely protect you but it does shield your pc considerably).

• Moderators

The reason I turn mine off when I'm not using it is simple, and it isn't to save nature, or mother earth since that'll be here long after humans have been extinct for millions of years. I turn mine off because of power outages and power spikes -- I don't want to mess up the OS with a bad shutdown due to an electricity loss, or have the power supply zapped. Both problems I've dealt with before.

Well.. most of the time i am on the computer and i don't like turning it on everytime i sit on the computer and wait few seconds. But yeah i always check the Weather :P incase of any hurricanes or thunderstorms so i can shutdown my computer before it hits my town!! Some people says it's better to get a Cyberpower or a Surge Protection.. what does it actually do? Protects your computer from electricity failure ?

288olaow8888cq2.jpg

Well.. most of the time i am on the computer and i don't like turning it on everytime i sit on the computer and wait few seconds. But yeah i always check the Weather  :P incase of any hurricanes or thunderstorms so i can shutdown my computer before it hits my town!! Some people says it's better to get a Cyberpower or a Surge Protection.. what does it actually do? Protects your computer from electricity failure  ?

my laptop is basically on all the time, i don't have a phone so i use my msn as an answering machine of sorts. one question, when i am not using my comp i close the lid and the screen goes black, but i have this feeling that i can still see whats on the screen, very faintly, for instance, if i just hold down the button, then it appears to be almost completely black, but i can still kinda make out what was there. anyway, i know this badly writen, but hopefully someone understands what i'm saying, anyway, the question is, will the screen ever go completely black, over time if i leave it closed?

thankx

• Moderators
Your going to be searching for a while then because all of those programs are junk. Most of them are even bundled with adware.

Personally the only one I have ever liked is a commercial one which is Download Mage. The only problem is Download Mage hasn't had a new release since Feb 2002.

• Moderators
have you tried to contact the company of download mage?

No, they used to update it all the time before 2002, however it seems as though development has freezed. Although no updates may seem like a "problem" the program has no bugs that I've ever encountered, it works flawlessly on my Win98 and WinXP system.

If you want to protect your files from getting corrupted when your system inexpectedly shutdowns, then there are journaled file systems. For Windows this include NTFS, for Linux it includes ext3, JFS, etc.

If you use FAT32, your files may get corrupted.

As for surge protector, see the Wikipedia article for information about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector

Most download managers are as mentioned above crap. Wget is the best. :)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators
Most download managers are as mentioned above crap.

I agree most of them are crap, actually all of the freeware download managers I've tried and used over the past seven or so years have all been crap. I assume for people with high-speed connections a download manager isn't of much use unless there's a need for queuing a large list of downloads. However for people like me who won't spend approximately twice the money on a high-speed connection and instead use a relatively inexpensive dial-up connection a download manager with resume functionality in many cases is the only way to get larger downloads (10 MB and above) to complete successfully. Without a download manager I wouldn't even attempt to download a 10 MB and above file since I know the failure rate is rather high.

Opera 8x versions can resume broken downloads but unfortunately unlike a download manager Opera can't queue a download list, nor does it automatically resume broken downloads which must be done manually.

Hopefully Opera will improve upon the resume capability by making it automatic without manual user intervention.