Hint: Show Overclock Computer

MrG

I tested Speccy and found some thing to be improved. I do not know the current to-do list, so filter out yourself :)

1. Error when Speccy is started multiple times, maybe only when you have no administrator rights

2. I do not know which things are not shown when there are no administrator rights, this would be very nice if you can see what cant be 'requested' because of the rights.

3. The drive sizes is 0GB, probably because there are no rights on C:\ in Windows Explorer.

4. Displaying Free Space on drives would be handy for a support desk.

5. Will there be a command line parameter to export to XML?

That was it for know. Besides this, thing look good. Looking forward for future versions. Good luck!

I tested Speccy and it gave me misleading results about my display setup. I have two displays, Samsung SM226BW (1680x1050) on DVI connection (primary) and LG L1510P (1024x768) on analog VGA connection (secondary).

Speccy shows only the secondary monitor (LG) and it incorrectly states that its resolution is 1680x1050.

Another area that needs improvement is optical drives section. Currently it looks just like a WMI dump, and there is absolutely no useful information about supported media and drive capabilities.

Check out Nero InfoTool, DISCInfo or ImgBurn (Tools > Drive > Capabilities) for a few examples of programs with useful output about optical drives.

Nice program. I like it.

1) For clarity, you should use different colors for clickable titles and non-clickable titles. I do like the soft baby blue though.

2) Ditto on more export options as poster above. I would like some kind of plain text format. I suppose RTF would be best since the information is formatted as a list.

3) Don't use the term "snapshot" (under the File Menu) because it suggests an image format. How about using "profile" instead?

Thanks for another great FREE product!

• Moderators
As above it would be nice to save as another sharable (xml/xls/html/txt) file-type.

+1

I tested Speccy and it gave me misleading results about my display setup. I have two displays, Samsung SM226BW (1680x1050) on DVI connection (primary) and LG L1510P (1024x768) on analog VGA connection (secondary).

Speccy shows only the secondary monitor (LG) and it incorrectly states that its resolution is 1680x1050.

Yup Running a laptop with a 2nd (extended desktop) monitor and Speccy only sees one of them (not sure which though both are dell;) )

I love that it's faster than PCWizard at loadup (loads instantly while pcwizard is slow as B)

and I love that I can click on each of the graphs to see a big live realtime.

Great Prod guys love to see more :) and I am now subscribed to this Board :) (Not available as RSS Please let us kn ow when it is THX)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Very nice software. I love the GUI! My only criticisms are very long scan times to detect hardware info, and not as much info for each item as competing tools (understandable considering it's an initial beta release). Overall though, very nice software!

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Great new program - here are my suggestions/bugs after testing it out:

1. I run a dual display. Each monitor goes into its own DVI connector on the single graphics card. Speccy doesn't see one of my monitors. Both are the same Sony SDM-X82 monitors. It only sees the primary display, not the secondary display.

2. Nowhere under my graphics card does it actually list "Nvidia" as the manufacturer of the chipset. Yeah sure it has NVxx under GPU - but it would be good if there was an entry that could say the full manufacturer name. The subvendor which to me looks like the manufacturer of the card (card brand) in my case XFX, should probably be the first item in the list, before getting into the specifics of the actual card.

3. I'm surprised it didn't show the brand name or model number of my optical drive or the full capability of it. It could easily be found in Device Manager -> Drive Properties -> Details -> Device Instance ID. This would give the manufacturer/model number and the specific type of device eg DVD-RW. In device manager my drive is shown as "CD-ROM Drive" so I guess this is what Speccy is taking (as that is how it was listed), but even that info in Device Manager is innacurate when the device is actually a DVD-RW drive. Windows Explorer/My Computer however lists my optical drive correctly.

4. "Operating System" looks a little sparce. Perhaps it should show all the accounts and type of accounts. It could also include the serial number etc.

5. In CPU - perhaps the "Name" and "Specification" which are the 2 entries that show the manufacturer name and model should be listed as the first and second items before all the technical info.

6. Onboard Network adapters (Ethernet/Wireless) could be a useful thing to see.

7. I presume at some point in the future there might be a "Software" category in the left menu that then lists all the software installed?

Speccy runs nicely on my laptop, but on my desktop it crashes before it can finish loading the main screen :'(

It gets as far as displaying the OS (MS Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2) as well as the Hard Drive and Optical Drive info, then crashes. The entry in Event Viewer says

Faulting application Speccy.exe, version 1.0.0.57, time stamp 0x4aa0f205, faulting module Speccy.exe, version 1.0.0.57, time stamp 0x4aa0f205, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00110d33, process id 0x55d0, application start time 0x01ca629a81edc371.

Is there any other info I can capture for you?

Same issue wit the dual monitor setup that is not being shown correctly.

In that same note it also detects only 1 of my 2 "audio devices" I have an onboard realtek chipset that is used for regular 5.1 output, and also an usb headset. It only detects the USB headset.

While in a remote desktop session it does detect the resolution but still says the video card is the actual video card instead of the RDP output driver that I expected it to find.

Overal it looks like a nice neat program, maybe it's nice to have an exe version of the portable directly available? So it's even more portable and can quickly be run (altough all newer versions of windows should just be able to open the zip I guess)

hi everybody, i tested speccy and its great=), exelent like ccleaner or recuva..

but i do have a problem, the app freezes for a sec or less and then it shows all the info, exept the graphics tab...

the video card is an onboard ATI 3200 "780g"

well any way it's still a beta release, keep doing things like this, exelent software, tiny, simple, and FREE

waiting for final release=)

bye!

(sorry for bad english, not my native language :P)

3. The drive sizes is 0GB, probably because there are no rights on C:\ in Windows Explorer.
I noticed the same thing...that it shows NO info on space, UNKNOWN manufacturer and also says SMART not supported when it is...I was running as user, not admin on an older W2K Dell laptop but almost all Win Expl type products are able to retrieve much/all of this info even when running as user...if nothing else, at least the drive size!

I's also add the basic properties of space used/space free here if not already done.

It also says "no audio card detected"...well, that may be true in one way as it's on the MB but there IS audio support on this system and other products can find it.

Update: Running as Admin shows "Crystal WDM" as audio device and the HDD capacity as well as the SMART info.

However, it would be good if it showed my CPU temp as well as the HDD temp as that is often more critical....and I would have also thought it would give me somewhat of a graph of CPU usage...graph of bus speed and core speed is nice but without CPU usage, seems a bit odd.

I noticed the same thing...that it shows NO info on space, UNKNOWN manufacturer and also says SMART not supported when it is...I was running as user, not admin on an older W2K Dell laptop but almost all Win Expl type products are able to retrieve much/all of this info even when running as user...if nothing else, at least the drive size!

I's also add the basic properties of space used/space free here if not already done.

It also says "no audio card detected"...well, that may be true in one way as it's on the MB but there IS audio support on this system and other products can find it.

Update: Running as Admin shows "Crystal WDM" as audio device and the HDD capacity as well as the SMART info.

However, it would be good if it showed my CPU temp as well as the HDD temp as that is often more critical....and I would have also thought it would give me somewhat of a graph of CPU usage...graph of bus speed and core speed is nice but without CPU usage, seems a bit odd.

Hi. Click on the small square graph of the CPU Usage and you will get a big graph :)

And CPU usage is detected over here, so probably your CPU is not (yet) supported.

For most part, very nice little applet. Compares well to MS Win7 advisor.

You should make it clear that the tool works best "running as admin". I've got a user class and admin class version running side by side. I'm surprised at difference info reported. When run under a user account display a clear message that reported information is limited. Graphics details is only place this is implied, with message "Error Access is denied", but strangely enough information displayed is identical, unlike other places like CPU and RAM.

From quote above, I must be running "newer" version since I do see separate temperatures for CPU and HD (in Admin ID). Including separate temps for my dual cores (NICE). On further reflection, it is because I'm running in Admin mode.

First time I ran it under user account, it showed no SMART info. When I tried to re-run it wouldn't start without admin rights, then when I finally did run it as admin it did show SMART info, said smart not supported

I too would like to see explicitly stated 32 or 64 bit OS running and 32 or 64 bit capable hardware. Granted 32/64 bit hardware capability is implicit in chip name and model info, but it is really hard to find specific breakdown on internet (for those of who are not up to date on chip specs), every source I looked at assumed you already knew.

Problem, in my 32bit Win Business it shows 1GB and 2GB RAM, but other tools report 2+2. I understand that 32bit Win only support 3GB and the info your tool reports is very detailed down to serial numbers and manufacture dates, so I'm inclined to believe you since I'm not inclined to open up the laptop.

I would also like to see 2 more "optional' hardware features: TPM security support and Virtualization support. List them as titles and say yes or no and degree of support. TPM hardware support is advantageous for Bitlocker (if you are "lucky" enough to be running Ultimate or Enterprise).

My dual monitors are not being reported also, but I can live without that info.

First of all - thanx for all your hard work and helpful apps!

So far I found 2 problems with Speccy:

1) Windows Server 2008 R2, Enterprise Edition is being reported as Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

2) HDD information is inccorect.

I have the following disk drives in my server:

Disk 0: 407.92 GB

Disk 1: 697.56 GB (Taken 'Offline' in Disk Management console)

Disk 2: 931.51 GB (this on is External USB drive)

Speccy shows 2 drives and both of them are reported to have size of 437 GB

I have attached screenshot for more information.

Again, thanks for your great software!

post-33131-1258099063_thumb.jpg

post-33131-1258099063_thumb.jpg

Please put your bug reports and suggestions for Speccy here. Thanks - MrG :)

Thank you for what looks promising new product. :)

I have just taken a quick whirl through Speccy v1.0.0.57. Running on Sony Vaio minitower Windows XP SP3.

A few suggestions/ideas:

1) please allow for a dark text on light (or light-ish) background. Having spent too many years on CRTs with only white, green or yellow text, my eyes seem to not like the current fad of light letters on dark background. I will say though, that your light letters on dark gray is less strenuous than those apps or sites that go for total black background. But my preference is for, like the forum pages here, dark text on light-ish background. Maybe a user preference for one or t'other?

2) I would suggest to put the memory type into the summary page. So instead of "2.0GB Micron Technology Single Channel DDR @ 200MHz (3-3-3-8)" which is not really that useful to me from a quick look point of view, and rather,

Summarize it as: "2.0 GB DDR PC3200" or "2 x 1 GB DDR PC3200". Since memory purchase is usually by the type and spec# (DDR, PC3200) and not so much by the MHz or GHz speed or cycle/latencyrating.

* the one interesting tidbit I found from this is that one of my DIMMs is from Micron, which I knew, but the other is from 'Melco'. And here I thought I had two both from Micron...

3) As suggested by others, a way to export in human readable form, either text, rtf or html would be WONDERFUL.

For me, with that kind of export as a new feature, Speccy may have a chance to take over from my use of Belarc Advisor, which has a nice html formatted export.

And while it is true that there are a number of system info tools, I've found that some are just too much detail (for me), and some (like my experience with SIW) are too heavy on the computer resources, sometimes crashing on older, less capable machines.

So I had settled on Belarc since it provided decent info and good output I could refer back to.

Speccy looks to provide a good bit MORE tech info than Belarc, yet without going into the TMI (too-much-information) zone.

SO in my mind, Speccy is on a good path of balance. ;)

As always, my suggestions are just my opinion, as a longtime computer user and person doing technical support off and on over the years. Thanks again. Best,

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)