ATDMT

AliceZ

I have AVG 9 installed and set the Resident Shield to search for Tracking Cookies. Now, whenever I open my Hotmail and in other IE8 searches, I get a AVG pop-up stating it has found a Tracking Cookie for ATDTMT. I keep removing it, but it keeps coming back.

If this 'cookie' dangerous to my computer? If I turn off the AVG Resident Shield for Tracking Cookies, will CCleaner pick it up so when I clean out the cookies after each session, the ATDKT cookie will also be cleaned out?

I looked in CCleaner several times when I got the pop-up, but I never saw the ATDMT cookie in the Cookie area.

Can someone please help as I don't know that much about computers and don't know if this ATDMT is going to ruin my computer.

Does CCleaner check for and remove Tracking Cookies, such as this ATDMT?

Thank you

Alice

• Moderators

There seem to be a lot of hits on a google search for this ATDMT cookie, such as this one

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?threadID=348991

Perhaps follow some of the suggestion and tighten up your cookie management. Do you use Spywareblaster or a hosts file(apart from the MS one)?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Can someone please help as I don't know that much about computers and don't know if this ATDMT is going to ruin my computer.

Take a deep breath. A cookie is only a cookie. A text file. It can not do any harm what so ever to your computer. All they are good for is generating marketing statistics. It is incapable of performing any tasks or functions on your computer.

Many even more advanced users still panic about tracking cookies. NO Tracking they do can be personally identifiable to you.

Remember cookies are stored with a specific web address. Which means they can only get information they put therein the first place. I wont bore you with details on how they do generate information which leads to tracking (things like double click) The simple solution is turn off third party cookies.

No fate but what we make

There seem to be a lot of hits on a google search for this ATDMT cookie, such as this one

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?threadID=348991

Perhaps follow some of the suggestion and tighten up your cookie management. Do you use Spywareblaster or a hosts file(apart from the MS one)?

Spyblaster; SpyBot; and AVG9

Take a deep breath. A cookie is only a cookie. A text file. It can not do any harm what so ever to your computer. All they are good for is generating marketing statistics. It is incapable of performing any tasks or functions on your computer.

Many even more advanced users still panic about tracking cookies. NO Tracking they do can be personally identifiable to you.

Remember cookies are stored with a specific web address. Which means they can only get information they put therein the first place. I wont bore you with details on how they do generate information which leads to tracking (things like double click) The simple solution is turn off third party cookies.

Will CCleaner pick-up Tracking Cookies?

I've read that "Tracking cookies are the same as regular cookies because they install on your computer server when you navigate to certain websites. The only difference is that tracking cookies are used in unlawful ways to attempt to steal personal information. Atdmt is a tracking cookie that secretly installs on your computer and should be dealt with as soon as it's detected."

Tracking cookies are cookies, so yes, it will.

However, I don't think saying "installs" when talking of a cookie is an appropriate word. A cookie is simply a text file.

Piriform French translator

Will CCleaner pick-up Tracking Cookies?

I've read that "Tracking cookies are the same as regular cookies because they install on your computer server when you navigate to certain websites. The only difference is that tracking cookies are used in unlawful ways to attempt to steal personal information. Atdmt is a tracking cookie that secretly installs on your computer and should be dealt with as soon as it's detected."

Any web site can create a cookie.

Look try and reach your own mind here. There is so much rubbish that floats around the net about tracking cookies, and i blame people like Norton and mcafee using scare tactics on users like your self who don't really understand what a cookie even is.

A cookie is simply as we keep saying a text file that contains TEXT DATA. Each cookie is tired to an address.

Cookies that attempt to track you like double click are third party cookies that come from clicking banners and adverts.

The way they track you (not actually you is because they have sod all clue who you are) is when you may click an ad on another page and it's possible for your browser to send the information from a previous click back because it contains the same domain.

All cookies can only be read by the sender. They can not read each other. Servers will only send out the data to the match domain.

Summery of what that means, they can only identify that someone who visited a page also visited another page.

Thats it. No personal details.

The only time a cookie can contain personal details is if you enter your personal into that site. No third party cookie could access that information.

If a tracking cookie wants to be on my machine it can feel free to.

After all that if you are still worried about cookies i'l give you a little task you can do.

Step 1: Open up note pad and type some random text in there

Step 2: Save it to desktop

Step 3: Get a stop watch and time ten minutes while you watch the text file

Step 4: Report back and suspicious behavior by that text file

No fate but what we make

Tracking cookies are cookies, so yes, it will.

However, I don't think saying "installs" when talking of a cookie is an appropriate word. A cookie is simply a text file.

The reason I asked if CCleaner would delete ATDMT tracking cookie is that when I got the AVG Resident Shield pop-up about an ATDMT tracking cookie notice, I just closed (x) the box, thinking I would clear it out when I do my usual CCleaner after every session. However, when I looked in the Cookies when I was doing the CCleaner Cleaner, I didn't see a ATDMT mentioned there.

• Moderators

CCleaner is not a security product. It will clean any cookie you do not explictly tell it not to clean.

RE this particular cookie: it is a Advert cookie (like google-analytics and 2o7.net) you can safely remove them, block them or stop your computer from even replying to them.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

CCleaner is not a security product. It will clean any cookie you do not explictly tell it not to clean.

RE this particular cookie: it is a Advert cookie (like google-analytics and 2o7.net) you can safely remove them, block them or stop your computer from even replying to them.

And turn off third party cookies all together

No fate but what we make

And turn off third party cookies all together

That means seriously damaging your Internet experience. In fact, I don't think you could use that forum without cookies, as it needs you know who you are.

That means seriously damaging your Internet experience. In fact, I don't think you could use that forum without cookies, as it needs you know who you are.

Turn off third party cookies. Not cookies.

How do you think i'm here if it "damaged" my internet experience.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

I block at the host level with MVP host file

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Turn off third party cookies. Not cookies.

How do you think i'm here if it "damaged" my internet experience.

What's your definition of "third party" ones ? The one that don't come from the website itself ?

Then you'd have not to visit Google, Bing, or any other site that uses its own cookie to "track" you ;)

You can within the CCleaner program itself choose which cookies to clean and which to keep.

Most browsers can be configured to accept some and reject others. If you use one of the Gecko browsers, SeaMonkey, Firefox, Flock, or K-Meleon, you can install Cookie Monster, CS Lite, Permit Cookies, Cookie Safe, or some other cookie management extension. I use these aforementioned Gecko browsers and use CS Lite on some and Cookie Monster on others.

You find more danger from Flash cookies, why I have the BetterPrivacy extension in SeaMonkey, Firefox, and Flock. I have Clearflash extension in K-Meleon. Read about flash cookies here. With the BetterPrivacy extension you can observe, manage, and delete the flash cookies. For the other browsers you can get the NirSoft program FlashCookiesView.

saint satin stain

Qui bibit, dormit; qui dormit, non peccat; qui non peccat, sanctus est; ergo qui bibit sanctus est.