Tarun

What version of the Antimalware Package  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What version of the Antimalware Package

• Lite
    • Full
    • Pro
    • Keep them all

I've recently been considering offering a few different versions.

• Lite: (Meant for Windows 9x/ME)
  • CWShredder
  • SpywareBlaster
  • Ad-Aware
  • Spybot
  • CCleaner
  • HijackThis

• Full:
  • CWShredder
  • SpywareBlaster
  • MSAS
  • Ad-Aware
  • Spybot
  • CCleaner
  • HijackThis

• Pro:
  • CWShredder
  • SpywareBlaster
  • MSAS
  • Ad-Aware
  • Spybot
  • CCleaner
  • HijackThis
    Including all *.def and *.ini files for things like Ad-Aware, Spybot, CCleaner, etc.

I figured maybe let the pro be for dialup users since it would have everything they would need.

Questions, comments?

Is there really any difference between the three packages, aside from MSAS?

In spite of its merits, Ewido isn't freeware, so should it be included?

Hey, lookie here - ridgely's sportin' a badge.  B)

The pro version will have all the latest updates as well, which saves time updating all the programs individually.

Ewido is freeware to a certain extent.

Edit,

Tarun, I think it is a good idea to have three different packages available.

rridgely, I have not submitted to the poll as that seems to be choosing one package over the other two, each package can have it's merits for different users.

• Moderators

I didn't vote for one simple reason if there'd only be a Win9x/Me version and a WinNT/2K/XP version I would've voted, since every program will probably be needed to clean up after a very serious malware infection.

I would also include in each package:

- A warning/notice about using Internet Explorer and other browsers that use IE's components, since it's a major cause of infections do to being so exploitable.

- A notice to update any already installed antivirus software.

- URL links in all of the packages to download a third-party firewall; Outpost Free, ZoneAlarm Free, etc.

- URL links in all of the packages for performing free online virus scans, and also include links to download freeware antivirus software that includes a resident shield such as AntiVir, Avast, AVG.

I would include in the WinXP package:

- A link to run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool with the Full Scan parameter which checks all files and all disks:

%windir%\system32\mrt.exe /f

I would include in the Win9x/Me package:

- A freeware on-demand DOS antivirus scanner such as F-PROT Antivirus for DOS, or Avast for DOS, since some infections are difficult to remove in Windows.

Tarun im not sure if its off course in terms of what type of software you put in the anti malware package but how about adding some sort of anti virus app? Also you could put in some links to on-line scanner such as ewido spyware scanner & trend micro on-line scanner.

Oops nearly forgot i voted for the full version as it includes MSAS i don't use it but i cant deny it is a good app and does a brilliant job.

I didn't vote for one simple reason if there'd only be a Win9x/Me version and a WinNT/2K/XP version I would've voted, since every program will probably be needed to clean up after a very serious malware infection.

Actually, there are. Lite is meant for Windows 9x/ME since MSAS won't work on those. I'm also considering adding a "Heavy" that includes the DAT files and such for the Win9x/ME versions.

I would also include in each package:

- A warning/notice about using Internet Explorer and other browsers that use IE's components, since it's a major cause of infections do to being so exploitable.

- A notice to update any already installed antivirus software.

- URL links in all of the packages to download a third-party firewall; Outpost Free, ZoneAlarm Free, etc.

- URL links in all of the packages for performing free online virus scans, and also include links to download freeware antivirus software that includes a resident shield such as AntiVir, Avast, AVG.

All of that is actually included in the PC Maintenance instructions. I plan to add a lot more to it, expanding and improving it.

A link to the SP2 antivirus links will appear soon with the Anti-Virus section.

Along the lines of firewalls I will be recommending Outpost Pro. I'm hoping Zonealarm fixes all the bugs in their recent software, as I will then add links to their firewalls.

I would include in the WinXP package:

- A link to run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool with the Full Scan parameter which checks all files and all disks:

%windir%\system32\mrt.exe /f

I would include in the Win9x/Me package:

- A freeware on-demand DOS antivirus scanner such as F-PROT Antivirus for DOS, or Avast for DOS, since some infections are difficult to remove in Windows.

I do intend to add the frequently updated Windows MRT. With the DOS based AV, I don't really know about how needed it will be. After all, a lot of these users are entry level to computers, so one has to consider if they would even know what to do if those were added. Perhaps for the Heavy and Pro versions I may add something like that. ;)

---------------------

I think it's well thought out Tarun. Have voted for all, but would like to see Ewido and Windows Malicious Software removal tool with links in the pro version.

I'm highly considering adding a link to ewido onto the PC Maintenance page, and I may very well add it into the Pro package.

What I'm trying to achieve with these different flavors is to allow dialup users to get what they need without mass bulk. ewido is a great application and who knows, further down the road I may very well add it.

---------------------

Tarun im not sure if its off course in terms of what type of software you put in the anti malware package but how about adding some sort of anti virus app? Also you could put in some links to on-line scanner such as ewido spyware scanner & trend micro on-line scanner.

Oops nearly forgot i voted for the full version as it includes MSAS i don't use it but i cant deny it is a good app and does a brilliant job.

As far as adding Anti-Virus, no. There will be links on the PC Maintenance page, allowing the user to choose. That's because there are far too many choices out there. Free or otherwise. I personally would see it as needless bulk that the user could go download separately and get what they like or feel is a nice recommendation.

The links for online scanners already exist in the PC Maintenance page. I will add more in the future. Anyone can post links that don't already exist on the PC Maintenance page and I can add them.

---------------------

i will vote for the PRO...

just download them all and use them to detect any left over... i think so...

The poll is just a tad off, but that was my mistake. I meant to ask if people would want to see different flavors/versions of the Anti-Malware package. See what happens when you post and you're tired/just waking up! :D