Extremely weird problem with Firefox 3.5

razz

I've had FF 3.5 since it was in beta and now the final release and have had zero problems until yesterday. Now every time I launch FF, the home pages of over half of my add-ons open (I have 11 add-ons). Naturally this is not good :angry:

I have not tried to uninstall and then re-install. I would rather not because I would then need to download all my add-ons again.

Any ideas?

Hello,

This is not a bug

Allow time to time ...

We must adapt some add-on to the latest version.

It is true that when one is accustomed to using (for example QuickNote), it's very frustrating to be faced not compatible !!

Bye

Anything not given is lost

I've had FF 3.5 since it was in beta and now the final release and have had zero problems until yesterday. Now every time I launch FF, the home pages of over half of my add-ons open (I have 11 add-ons). Naturally this is not good :angry:

I have not tried to uninstall and then re-install. I would rather not because I would then need to download all my add-ons again.

Any ideas?

Reinstall won't delete your add-ons ;) . I did this when Update Notifier(cleansoft.org) has wrong program detection especially FF 3.5.

so far,all programs running well and updated.

Maybe check the browser.startup.homepage value in about:config ?

You can try using FEBE to backup your addons and then reinstall them, it takes only 2-3 minutes ;)

papayes, you didn't understand what he said, did you ? :P

Piriform French translator

Reinstall won't delete your add-ons ;) . I did this when Update Notifier(cleansoft.org) has wrong program detection especially FF 3.5.

so far,all programs running well and updated.

What exact procedure did you use to reinstall? I want to make sure I don't lose my bookmarks and addons.

Maybe check the browser.startup.homepage value in about:config ?

You can try using FEBE to backup your addons and then reinstall them, it takes only 2-3 minutes ;)

papayes, you didn't understand what he said, did you ? :P

Couldn't find about:config - where is it located?

What exact procedure did you use to reinstall? I want to make sure I don't lose my bookmarks and addons.

Use Opera Link and you never loose anything! ;)

Couldn't find about:config - where is it located?

Just type "about:config" in the address bar and hit enter.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

Any ideas?

It sounds like the normal process taking place when an addon updates. They always load their home pages, and it can take some time if there's more than one, so just let the process complete if you haven't tried that already.

I think that's what papayes may have been referring to above regarding time.

You can take control of this process from within Firefox settings. I don't have it installed at the moment, so I'm working from memory here (yep, with my memory :blink: ).

I think the default setting with this is for Firefox to check for, and automatically install, updates to addons and the program itself. You need to change that to inform you first about updates, so you can decide if it's convenient or not to install them.

Also, you may not want to install an update to a particular addon. Some time ago I had an extension which wouldn't work after updating, so I retained the version that worked for me, and didn't update it.

A good example of this at the moment is McAfee Site Advisor and Andavaris last "good" version.

As suggested use FEBE to back them up, that way if the worst happens you still have a backup of your bookmarks and addons.

Thank you JDPower for your tip. I was able to completely uninstall Firefox, then reinstall and then restore my bookmarks and add-ons via FEBE. The only thing I needed to do was re-enter my settings for my add-ons. All working great now.

I found FEBE to be fubar. Too complicated. I use MozBackup. Much quicker.

I got rid of FF3.5 and went back to FF3.0.11 yesterday. 3.5 started leaking memory like a sieve, I couldn't even reload pages. I turned FF off, opened up Process Explorer an it still showed FF eternally shutting down using 95+% ram. That's like a massive hemorrhaging no-no in my book. Not only did 3.5 cross that line...it threw up on it!

Simple step that I used is Reinstall over the top the older version and I still have my bookmarks /add-ons.As Corona said,FEBE too much complicated.

I don't need to re-enter the settings for add-ons.

Sorry for the late reply,Razz ;)