Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10

YoKenny

Go to Add/Remove Programs and un-install the old version first

Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10

Publisher's Description:

Java Platform, Standard Edition (also known as Java 2 Platform) lets you develop and deploy Java applications on desktops and servers, as well as today's demanding Embedded and Real-Time environments. Java SE includes classes that support the development of Java Web Services and provides the foundation for Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE).

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Java_...RE/1011824317/1

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Sounds like the bloated and useless services iTunes installs, that just "hang around" using up your memory in case you might one day want to connect to a mobile device.

Or another one "hanging around" in memory to launch iTunes as soon as an iPod is connected, to kindly save you the time-taking and tiresome job of clicking on an icon.

Thankfully, these "helpful" services can be disabled as this one will be.

Thankfully, these "helpful" services can be disabled as this one will be.

Unfortunately some of these services that these POSIMO apps put in are required for the app to run. It doesn't sound like it in this case though but I wonder if there is a big performance hit from disabling it.

• Moderators

It's disabled, and it's staying disabled. It's called "jqs" for java quick start.

I always surf with Java disabled until I ocassionally hit a site which needs it, and more often than not, it's some form of Internet Security site which runs an applet to check you out.

The number of times I have to activate Java is very very small.

Edit: Home page change was coincidence.

The service is active on my XP Pro system.

I guess running Secunia Online Software Inspector without the service active to see what effect it has on Java runtime:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

That service was hardly using anything on my system, a measly 1.3 MB but I did disable it.

It can very easily be disabled in all Windows versions by going into Control Panel, clicking Java, then in Java do the following:

1. Click the Advanced (tab)

2. Go to the very bottom and expand Miscellaneous.

3. Untick Java Quick Starter.

4. Click Apply, then click OK to exit. Now Java Quick Starter is disabled and won't start with Windows anymore.

disabling_jqs328.png.xs.jpg

Does this version still work ok with Firefox 2? Only I spotted this in the release notes:

Note that as of this release, the next generation Java Plug-in is provided. The next generation Java Plug-in is the default for IE and Firefox 3. The original (old) Plug-in remains the default for Firefox 2. On Windows, you can switch between the old and new Plug-ins by using the Java Control Panel.

It seems JavaRa doesn't catch the update via the Java Update Checker? (which means this isn't an official release yet, as the Java Updater still thinks JRE6_7 is the latest?)

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Does this version still work ok with Firefox 2? Only I spotted this in the release notes:

What it looks like is that it does, indeed, work with Firefox 2, it just doesn't, to quote, use the next-gen plug-in, rather, it sticks with the old one.

[edit] : However, I use Firefox 3.0.3 and 3.1 (portable), so I wouldn't be able to give an educated guess, as I gave 2 up when beta 5 of 3 came out. :(

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

It seems JavaRa doesn't catch the update via the Java Update Checker? (which means this isn't an official release yet, as the Java Updater still thinks JRE6_7 is the latest?)

It is an official release, just for some reason the latest version is always released on the Sun site a few days/weeks before being put up on the main Java site (and therefore not available as an update through the program till then)

It is an official release, just for some reason the latest version is always released on the Sun site a few days/weeks before being put up on the main Java site (and therefore not available as an update through the program till then)

It also seems it doesn't take over Update 7's spot as main Java runtime. :blink:

Nothing was changed, 'cept for it being placed on my Add/Remove Programs list. Update 7 is still the show-in king. Anyone having this problem, on Vista?

It also seems it doesn't take over Update 7's spot as main Java runtime. :blink:

Nothing was changed, 'cept for it being placed on my Add/Remove Programs list. Update 7 is still the show-in king. Anyone having this problem, on Vista?

I downloaded it from Sun using JavaRa.

Then I installed it.

I ran JavaRa to remove Sun Downloader, Startup entry and old version.

Checked out JavaRa log.

Rebooted.

6_10 is in and 6_7 is gone.

Ran Java in Control Panel and did as explained by Andavari.

Everything seems OK for me.

WinXP Pro SP3 IE7 w/IE7Pro .

:) davey

Just deleted Update 7, and now Update 10 isn't even being recognized. No applet off the web (IE7 and FF3), no verification off their website). Something went wrong somewhere D: