Made my day

DennisD

• Moderators

This just shows how little things can have a big effect.

I was in a shop with my good lady this morning, and I inadvertently blocked the aisle while stooping to look at something.

I stood up to let this senior citizen past, and apologized for blocking his way.

What was his reply? It's OK son.

SON. :lol:

Made my day.

I can relate to that as I am a youngster in the apartment here and I'm 63 :lol:

Yesterday I helped one of the sons of one of my friend here with problems with his XP Home system.

The son has a 13 year old daughter that knows everything except to not click on stuff that people send her that is Kewl

It was a mess with just about every piece of malware know to mankind and they were complaining that the system had become very slow.

I said that the only safe cure was a FORMAT and re-install of XP Home and with all of the CDs at hand I booted the CD then watched as the 80GB hard drive FORMATed then proceeded to install XP Home.

Then I had to install all of the motherboard drivers to enable the LAN card to get the Internet working then activate XP then download and install SP3 then the applications I like.

It was a great time listening to the young lady mouthing off to the parents WhatEver! bringing back memories of when my daughter was that age.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Haha! I'm 18 and still feel like I'm not an adult. I can grow a decent beard, but, my parents hate it.

Sorry I'm hardly on any more. I worked most of the summer, and Facebook consumes a decent amount of time now

Oh, BTW.. I go off to college on Tuesday the 19th. My classes start the 25th. Four years, and then the "real world" starts for me.

AJ

• Moderators
Haha! I'm 18 and still feel like I'm not an adult. I can grow a decent beard, but, my parents hate it.

Sorry I'm hardly on any more. I worked most of the summer, and Facebook consumes a decent amount of time now

Oh, BTW.. I go off to college on Tuesday the 19th. My classes start the 25th. Four years, and then the "real world" starts for me.

AJ

Good luck at college AJ, enjoy.

Hehe, I see you. I am 36, and a couple of weeks ago I was buying some beers. Here in Norway you have to be 18 to buy beer...and the lady behind the counter asks me for legitimatation! Hehe, I felt young then and thanked her with a big grin on my face when she saw how old I was :D

You look younger than that.

Same thing used to happen to me but at 36, I can't remember.

Thought I would show you what has been making my day(night) !!!

I might even start a new topic.

Can you beat this 101 to 1 ratio ? For your sake I hope not. This is high-speed DSL in the beautiful Wash.,D.C. area.

Both speed figures were 3 times as high last week. I have been a happy "speedy camper". :lol:

t1443_20080816055313.png

Off to buy some postcards and such. This speed thing is "wracking" my nerves. :(

Hope my ISP "speedy" repair service is a bit "speedier" this time.

I may have a new Desktop soon.

:) davey

• Moderators
Hope my ISP "speedy" repair service is a bit "speedier" this time.

If my ISP was that slow they'd have to fix it or I'd dump them in a hurry. I've been through more ISP's than I can count. My current one Qwest DSL has not given me any headaches whatsoever, and I've been using them since November 2006 and haven't once had to put up with any b.s., that and they have a very good customer service center.

• Moderators
Thought I would show you what has been making my day(night) !!!

I might even start a new topic.

Can you beat this 101 to 1 ratio ? For your sake I hope not.

That must be driving you up the wall, as I remember you mentioned this in another post.

You might reap some benefit from starting a new topic in case anyone with positive suggestions has missed the tail end of this one. You never know.

Go for it.

I can relate to that as I am a youngster in the apartment here and I'm 63 :lol:

Yesterday I helped one of the sons of one of my friend here with problems with his XP Home system.

The son has a 13 year old daughter that knows everything except to not click on stuff that people send her that is Kewl

It was a mess with just about every piece of malware know to mankind and they were complaining that the system had become very slow.

I said that the only safe cure was a FORMAT and re-install of XP Home and with all of the CDs at hand I booted the CD then watched as the 80GB hard drive FORMATed then proceeded to install XP Home.

Then I had to install all of the motherboard drivers to enable the LAN card to get the Internet working then activate XP then download and install SP3 then the applications I like.

It was a great time listening to the young lady mouthing off to the parents WhatEver! bringing back memories of when my daughter was that age.

I'm just returning from helping them remove a blinking Zango infection.

MBAM to the rescue!

It took them 5 days to get infected so my protection worked fairly well but it sure ain't safe out there.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm just returning from helping them remove a blinking Zango infection.

MBAM to the rescue!

It took them 5 days to get infected so my protection worked fairly well but it sure ain't safe out there.

WHATEVER!

That's the key in this situation.

5 days is amazing !!! Unless the young lady was restricted from using the PC for 4-5 days.

If so, then next time you will have to bring out the big guns of "permissions" to limit her meanderings for a little longer time period. By the time she figures a way around your restrictions, she will have leaned enough to "disinfect" the PC herself. :lol:

Good Work and Good Luck Dr. YoKenny,

• Moderators
5 days is amazing !!! Unless the young lady was restricted from using the PC for 4-5 days.

Probably had to reinstall Windows. :lol:

If someone was getting infected that quickly I'd set up a restricted user account for them, and name it something like Web Surfing, that way any malware wouldn't have admin rights.

She was on it the instant I left the keyboard and was really angry that I had set up a Logon password so that she could not use it without knowing it but I fear that they gave her the password just to shut her up.

If someone was getting infected that quickly I'd set up a restricted user account for them, and name it something like Web Surfing, that way any malware wouldn't have admin rights.

I think I'll do that tomorrow.

That &nastyword system refuses to install Microsoft XML Core Service 4.0 SP2 KB936181 and that darn little yellow triangle keeps popping up insisting that the update has to be installed but it refuses to install.

Another weird thing is that an alert keeps popping up insisting that a Norton Service is missing and I think it may have something to do with the motherboard monitor that comes with the system.

What I think I'll do is insist that I bring the system unit up to my apartment with the CDs and do a complete install in the quiet of my apartment as having my friend and his young son with his daughter hovering over my back offering advice and trying to type on the keyboard while I'm using the mouse drives me nuts.

I have enough problems trying to think what to do without listening to three conversations at the same time.

If I get a call back after this I will give them the phone number of the local PC store that I deal with and say that I can't fix it and they have to take the system there.

IE7Pro user

I have the system now and I'm installing a fresh copy of XP Home.

Start time 12:05PM EDT

IE7Pro user

I have the system now and I'm installing a fresh copy of XP Home.

Start time 12:05PM EDT

I'm almost done 3:15PM EDT

IE7Pro user