Quite a frightening software

hazelnut

• Moderators

If you read this page, I think that like me, you will really hope that you don't know anyone who installs this.

You will feel very sorry for them if they do, especially when they try to uninstall it.

http://blog.spywareguide.com/2007/09/the_t..._messenger.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

That one is nasty....

Those hidden rootkits that are mentioned are scary. What are the favored Rootkit scanners? Right now, I'm using the one that comes with my Avira Premium AV trial. I know that Blacklight and the Sysinternals rootkit scanners are popular.

I would imagine that if any of the popular freeware programs that we all try ever had a rootkit, the word would spread pretty quickly on the security forums.

Notice that the first place the author looked for information was Symantec. Their site has the most detailed information on removing trojans and viruses manually. Am I correct in stating that Symantec doesn't maintain a customer forum for Norton? It's a pity because Norton always scores highly on the A-VComparatives.org tests, but because of a reputation of being resource heavy, it's not recommended in the security forums. Perhaps if they had their own forum and listend to complaints, they would put out a lighter program (although I've heard the 2007 version is a bit better in terms of less ram usage).

• Moderators
Perhaps if they had their own forum and listend to complaints, they would put out a lighter program (although I've heard the 2007 version is a bit better in terms of less ram usage).

Someone in the security field supposedly "trashed them big time" and they Symantec supposedly "responded by making NAV less of a hog." Sorry I don't remember what site it was or who trashed them, although I do remember getting to that site via a link on these forums.

I think, if I remember right, Norton put some pretty funky rootkits in my system. Some of them were hidden until I used a rootkit scanner.

I never heard of MSN skinner. I feel sorry for whoever downloads that. Sadly, it just shows something: people are willing to put spyware into a seemingly harmless piece of software.

Holy s**t. I totally can image my brother installing it... would mean some reformatting for me.

Why do people do these kind of programs? I'm sick of all this spyware and viruses. Haven't got one for a long time, but because of them, I constantly have to think what to do and whatnot =/.