runawayhorses

Someone using WebTV told me that my Avatar wasn't showing up on the forum. I can see it fine with my computer, but how about the rest of you? I'm curious how to correct this for WebTV. Why can't they see it? They said they saw other posters avatars, just not mine. :(

I can see it fine. Maybe it's the image format.

Mines jpeg.

Am I on TV? B)

No I don't think it's the format because it's a jpg too. I do know however, that webtv has a lot of limitations with different kinds of coding, but why it wouldn't read a jpg is beyond me. Oh well.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Yes, that's the Webtv I was referring to. I guess we should call it MSNTV since MSN owns it now.

Thanks for the reply :)

Bizarre as this sounds - get them to check their Java settings ......

At work, we have had occasions when the settings of 'higher' spec graphics cards make the Java settings confuse graphic issues with lower (i.e. small jpegs / apps) images.

Try disabling the Direct3d and / or OpenGL (mainly D3d usually)

I honestly have no idea what or how WebTV works but if it use Java then this may be why.

If it is only your avatar that is missing then I'm afraid your friends may have selective blindness and may not like u :lol:

(btw daft as it sounds - it is a suggestion, so try not to slate me pls !!!)

B.

Bizarre as this sounds - get them to check their Java settings ......

At work, we have had occasions when the settings of 'higher' spec graphics cards make the Java settings confuse graphic issues with lower (i.e. small jpegs / apps) images.

Try disabling the Direct3d and / or OpenGL (mainly D3d usually)

I honestly have no idea what or how WebTV works but if it use Java then this may be why.

If it is only your avatar that is missing then I'm afraid your friends may have selective blindness and may not like u :lol:

(btw daft as it sounds - it is a suggestion, so try not to slate me pls !!!)

B.

Hello burtman, Webtv is just a Internet browser, and not a computer. It's much like a cable box of the internet. The users of webtv have no way of making any operating adjustments of any kind. It's actually very limited in what it can do. Some websites are litterally impossible to access with webtv because of the script codes the site is using, or other more advanced scripts that Webtv can't read. Also, if a webpage is too large i.e. (to many pictures..ect,) webtv won't access that page. It will often times time-out trying to load it. It's mostly used by beginners or 'newbies' to the world we call the Internet. I had one years ago for a short period of time, and I must tell you, I couldn't WAIT to get a computer. :)

It's also my understanding that webtv doesn't have java either. So, maybe that could be why the jpg is not showing up for them. Who knows??.lol

Here's a pic of WebTV

webtv02.jpg

when I first had access to the internet at home (many years ago) it was through a form of WebTV, it was accessed through my set top box with the former UK cable company NTL and was aclled Open Internet Access. It was impossible to load some websites and for the first 6 months I didn't even have a keyboard and instead had to type any email etc using the hand set and an on screen keyboard. Very slow and cumbersome, but I did buy an infra red keyboard eventually which sped things up.

However, some websites just didn't look right and I was glad to eventually get a proper internet connection - even though it was just a dial up AOL account, until I eventually got broadband!

• Moderators
but why it wouldn't read a jpg

Possibly because many free image viewing and editing programs don't make 100% compliant and compatible JPG/JPEG images, hence even some DVD players can't read the images created by some programs.

I know Microsoft Paint (believe it or not) which everyone has that uses Windows will make 100% complaint and compatible JPG/JPEG images - but at the serious cost of quality since you can't set the quality in it, and it does degrade the overall quality of an image when saving it.

Possibly because many free image viewing and editing programs don't make 100% compliant and compatible JPG/JPEG images, hence even some DVD players can't read the images created by some programs.

I know Microsoft Paint (believe it or not) which everyone has that uses Windows will make 100% complaint and compatible JPG/JPEG images - but at the serious cost of quality since you can't set the quality in it, and it does degrade the overall quality of an image when saving it.

Yes, that makes sense. However, the image was originally a jpg, and I only resized it using Microsoft Paint. Seems that it shouldn't have that much of a degrade effect to make it unreadable for webtv, but, it's certainly a possibility. Anyway, I'm using another program now 'IrfanView' which has a quality setting. CeeCee told be about this freeware image editing program that's really nice.

However, some websites just didn't look right and I was glad to eventually get a proper internet connection - even though it was just a dial up AOL account, until I eventually got broadband!

Yes, I read somewhere that Webtv has broadband available now for it's subscribers. That should definitely speed things up a bit. The dialup is just too slow, and quite frankly, is outdated.

Runaway, the image you posted at the bottom of post number 7, (here is an image of webTV), I cannot see it.

What was it?

hmmmm that's strange. It's a picture of webtv. Are you sure you're not using WebTV ? :D

Actually, WebTV can even see that picture, because I viewed it myself with my friends webtv. That's really strange you can't see it. Oh well.

Here is the image he posted not embedded: http://www.wtv-zone.com/runawayhorses/forumpics/webtv02.jpg

Nicer images are available here: http://www.msntv.com/pc/

Now THAT'S a possibility. The simple fact that the images are 'embedded' could be the degrade factor that makes it unreadable to Webtv.

Only problem with that theory is, WebTV can see the Image on my post n.7 of the Pic of WebTV, it just can read the Avatar

• Moderators

Firery, even this link you put

http://www.wtv-zone.com/runawayhorses/forumpics/webtv02.jpg

I cannot see :huh:

Using opera.

Will pop over to IE7 and have a look.

EDIT...

No, cannot see it in IE7 either. Using sandboxie , hosts file and Online Armor, any ideas?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Anyway, I'm using another program now 'IrfanView' which has a quality setting.

IrfanView has never made complaint JPG's, and even using it's best quality to save them they still end up looking like crap. Now Paint.net makes some nice quality JPG's - I haven't tested if they're compliant yet though.

• Moderators
No, cannot see it in IE7 either. Using sandboxie , hosts file and Online Armor, any ideas?

It's probably something that's getting blocked because of the filename or something, I used to always have problems with that kind of blocking when I used to CookieCop and had it configured via some wildcards.

IrfanView has never made complaint JPG's, and even using it's best quality to save them they still end up looking like crap. Now Paint.net makes some nice quality JPG's - I haven't tested if they're compliant yet though.

I take it you're not a 'Fan' of IrfanView. Well, it may not be "compliant" but it's good enough for me. I mean seriously, how good does it have to be? or maybe I should say, how good is good?

Thanks for saying my pic looks like "crap". :lol:

Have a nice day, Tyler

Yes, quality of the saved images, is not the best possible, but otherwise IrfanView is good program. Quality is good enough for me. Mostly i use IrfanView for pasting and saving screenshots, resizing- and cropping images. It's also my default image viewer.

Btw, if you save to GIF format, image is not so blurry, than when saving to JPEG format. Though quality is not perfect in GIF format either, but like i said, less blurry/messy.

• Moderators
Btw, if you save to GIF format, image is not so blurry, than when saving to JPEG format. Though quality is not perfect in GIF format either, but like i said, less blurry/messy.

Both GIF and JPG stink if you ask me, sure GIF can be animated but that's all it really has going for it and having transparency capabilites is really no saving grace for it either. JPG gets very pixelated in a hurry even at maximum quality, which is crap. Use PNG whenever possible for high quality with transparency!