What's your #1 Commercial Anti-Spyware Pogram

KS-FINN

• Moderators
Never used, and never needed, commercial anti-spyware programs.

Same here. The freeware ones never find anything on my system so I see no compelling reason to ever purchase one that won't find anything either. The same goes for anti-virus, and software-based firewalls.

Same here. The freeware ones never find anything on my system so I see no compelling reason to ever purchase one that won't find anything either. The same goes for anti-virus, and software-based firewalls.

Staples is currenty offering Webroot's Spysweeper plus AV for free after rebate.

My general feeling is that there are plenty of free programs that do a great job, but once these programs start being offered for free after rebate (usually a few months before new versions are about to come out), it's time to buy them. I probably won't load it, bit if I do, I'll pull the exe's and dll's out of startup. However, it's excellent to have them sitting in your security library. Spy Sweeper is continually rated among the top two of pay anti-spyware programs. One problem is that it used to be resource heavy. I don't know if that's still the case - but since it's free AR....

Ad-aware (not commercial, but otherwise my #1). I used to scan quite often, but now a days i scan just every now and then. Why? Because i realized, that i can really trust my system (to be crap-free). Crap really don't get through, if you use safe browser like Opera (or FF), and when you don't install suspicious programs. Of course you also have to use up-to-date antivirus and firewall.

Trust your system, if you really know that you can trust it. If your scans always comes up with clean result, then you know that you can trust your system.

If your antispyware program always or often founds something crappy, your system is not safe or your actions are not safe. So first: make your system safe!

Never used, and never needed, commercial anti-spyware programs.

I have all the recommended free anti-spyware programs. AVG>SUPERAntispyware>Spybot>AdAware and Spyblaster.

Why will my commercial Anti-Spyware programs find spyware etc. and all the FREE one's won't.??????? : :huh:

• Moderators
Why will my commercial Anti-Spyware programs find spyware etc. and all the FREE one's won't.??????? : :huh:

Which programs are you talking about? (free and paid for)

Paid and free versions of the same software usually have the same detection signatures.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Which programs are you talking about? (free and paid for)

Paid and free versions of the same software usually have the same detection signatures.

Paid for Anti-Spyware> XoftSpySE>NoAdware v 5.0. They both always find spyware that the FREE the versions won't. I run the FREEWARE first and they don't detect anything and I then run both my PAID ATS and and I would say they will detect spyware approx. 50% of the time.

• Moderators

Its not like I have a vendetta against them or something but that program used to be considered harmful(it was fake and they made different programs out of the same code just to make more money. Read the link I posted). Sure they have tried to make it better but it still has lots of problems. They still have all of those spammy websites and ads all over the net too.

Just because a program says it has detected spyware doesn't actually mean what its detected is a spyware/virus. None of the programs are perfect but if 1 program is saying something is infected and 4 other known valid programs are saying it isn't infected you need to re evaluate things. Sure those 4 could be wrong but more often the case is that the 1 is wrong. Especially when the 1 has had a questionable past and the others have always been 100% trust worthy.

Its not like I have a vendetta against them or something but that program used to be considered harmful(it was fake and they made different programs out of the same code just to make more money. Read the link I posted). Sure they have tried to make it better but it still has lots of problems. They still have all of those spammy websites and ads all over the net too.

Just because a program says it has detected spyware doesn't actually mean what its detected is a spyware/virus. None of the programs are perfect but if 1 program is saying something is infected and 4 other known valid programs are saying it isn't infected you need to re evaluate things. Sure those 4 could be wrong but more often the case is that the 1 is wrong. Especially when the 1 has had a questionable past and the others have always been 100% trust worthy.

Thanks for the very informative information.!! XsoftSpySE will be expiring in a month and I was going to renew my subscription. I changed my mind. That's not going to happen. CAN YOU RECOMMEND A PROGRAM WITH REAL TIME PROTECTION.? How about taking my FREE SUPERAntispyware program and getting the paid version.? I was thinking about AVG but with all their update problems and poor support it leans me away from getting the paid version. Maybe you have another suggestion. If so please let me know. THANKS AGAIN.!! ;)

• Moderators

If I had to pick a commercial antispyware program it would be one of the following:

AVG Antispyware

Superantispyware

Webroot Spysweeper

Try them all and see what you like the best. I would probably get Webroot or AVG if I was going to pay.

Super is great but I'm not sure if I like it better then the other 2.

Don't you feel that you need a program that offers real time protection. ??????? :unsure:

Not for spyware, unnecessary (for me) waste of resources. Spyware Blaster and Spybots immunise function gives all the protection I need. Plus only browsing with Firefox and running CCleaner after every browsing session. I only run a scan (with AVG AS and Spybot) occasionly cos I never have any kind of malware for them to pick up, and haven't for 4 years.

My computer came with the full version of Webroot's Spysweeper installed, and it's a superb program.

Previously I had relied on AdAware and Spybot but although these two freeware programs are good as far as they go they fall a long,long way behind Spysweeper.

One advantage is that it's on all the time-it will even block access to sites where it knows there will be spyware (this block can be removed at your own risk)

The other thing I do for both spyware and virus protection-and this is available free for all users-is NEVER,EVER use Internet Explorer for browsing.I use Firefox but there are other good browsers available too.It's also a lot more capable and adaptable browser.

I've seen one security expert state that Firefox without virus/spyware protection is still safer than Internet Explorer with.