Windows XP Home Vs Vista Home

xxxxsh4d0wxxxx

Hey everyone, I'm going to order a laptop.. and however (as I'm sure you all know by now), you can't really buy a computer without Vista. Right now I have XP Home because I like it a lot more than any of the other XP's. The laptop I'm getting has Vista Home Basic. I was told by my friend that it is basically like XP Home, but a little more RAM usage. Part of the reason I don't like Vista is the fact that there is so much stuff that's on it that I will not use. I like XP Home because on a fresh install, It literally has nothing.. which I like (as well as the low RAM usage). I was told that even Vista Home is loaded with useless junk. What are your opinions on this topic?

• Moderators

XP Home for sure. Vista basic is just as the name implies basic.

You don't get any of the really cool stuff that vista has. I've also been reading lots of stories that vista is worse on battery life on laptops(which is a big deal if you plan to use it outside of your house. :P)

If your laptop isn't top of the line(which I assume it isn't if its coming with vista basic) then your going to see a faster computer in xp.

I think you should try vista since its coming with it but if you don't like it and don't mind spending an extra 100 bucks for xp then you should switch. :D

It's actually somewhat high end. It has 2GB of RAM, dual core AMD processor and 120GB HD. I could upgrade the Vista, however why would I upgrade it if I hate it as it is. Yeah, I was thinking try it, and if I don't like it buy XP Home. Thanks for the input though. :D

• Moderators

Oh if you have that much ram and a dual core processor then you should be able to run vista fine.

Are you sure your computer isn't going to come with vista home premium and not basic? They are 2 very different things.

Vista home premium has lots of new features.

You pc will still run faster with xp though but you should at least play with vista to make sure you don't like it before spending the money on an xp key.

Yeah, I'm sure it comes with Vista Home (I do have the choice to get Premium though, or Business). I just have heard some bad things about Vista. However, I never use all that extra junk (as I call it) Microsoft adds. I will try Vista Home to see if I like it though. :P

I was in a computer store the other day and playing around with a machine that had Vista on it. Seems more like XP than different. Not enough of a change to make me want to upgrade. The thing was using almost half a gig just sitting there with the desk top showing. Bloated XP. When it's time for a new machine I think I will get a Mac. If I ever do go to Vista it will be several years and service packs later.

Hi xxxxsh4d0wxxxx. :)

My 2 cents:

Rridgely is right (of course), XP is faster, and by now, more secure, but AMD dual core + 2 gig ram will run most anything.

I have never installed a new OS over an existing one, but I would several questions if I had to make the decision you are considering.

1. If I install XP on my new computer, then thats it, right? Microsoft contends that it is stuck on that computer forever. I don't intend to try to hack it so that I can use it on more than one, don't even know how.

2. If I install my XP on my new computer, does that prevent me from reinstalling Vista on my new computer if I want to later?

3. If I do reinstall vista, will Microsoft registration still think that my copy of XP is associated with my new computer (now running vista again), so that it is now uninstallable?

4. Is vista capable of running everything you need?

5. What undiscovered glitches exist in vista? XP is still releasing security patches, updates, etc.

6. Whats the rush? If it runs OK, fine. If not, you can decide to install XP at any time if you have a copy. (Thats just me, conservative approach, I have a copy of windows 3.1 :lol: .)

I have a copy of XP Pro in a box, just in case the next windows release is a clunker, or I want to build my own computer. Your post made me think about it, thanks. Will probably get another copy before the windows guys come to all the stores and get them like they did for W98.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

A Dream PC but no Vista

Before you read any further, note that I am about to describe a PC that costs upwards of $9000. The custom paint job for the case alone costs $930. So for most people, this post is like one of those describing a $30 million home in Beverly Hills, entertaining to read about but not a guide to a purchase. The details are given at PC Magazine. The PC is made by Falcon and has the newest Intel quad core chip overclocked to run at 3.7 GHz. PC Magazine says:

Such overclocking will get you your money?s worth in performance. The Mach V?s scores of 17,730 on 3DMark06 at 1,280-by-1,024 resolution (and 12,595 at 2,560-by-1,200), 123 frames per second on Prey at 2,560-by-1,200, and 48 fps on Company of Heroes (also at 2,560 by 1,200) are all the highest scores I?ve seen yet. Likewise, its Windows Media Encoder (50 seconds) and Adobe Photoshop CS2 (25 seconds!) scores are the fastest I?ve seen on those tests.

What amuses me is that this ultra-machine comes with Windows XP. It?s much slower with Vista installed. To be fair, it must be noted that the souped up graphics cards don?t have drivers optimized for Vista. Still, it makes you wonder.

Article

I knew I wasn't going to be impressed with Vista when I first used IE7. All the time MS took to develop IE7 and it was already 5 years outdated when it was released. IE7 was a step backwards in many ways compared to IE6. I thought to myself if this is what I can expect from Vista after all these years in development than I won't be impressed and I'm not.

I have Vista Premium on my laptop and xp home on the desktop. I think xp on the desktop might be a bit quicker, but hard to tell. Personally, i dont notice a huge difference between the two. a few bells and whistles, but if you have a lot of ram, no worries.

Personally, i dont notice a huge difference between the two. a few bells and whistles, but if you have a lot of ram, no worries.

Exactly what I think. As some one said Vista is XP service pack 3. It only took MS what 6 years to come up with this.

Wow, tons of good points brought up. I'm sure I will not like Vista though. I do have a copy of XP Home on hand too. I heard that within this year (before 2008) they will totally stop updating XP.. which leads me to think I should stick with Vista, as it will be more secure if they decide to stop updating XP.

Just so you know, on select Dell systems you can get XP installed instead of Vista.

Laptops: Link (Scroll down)

Desktops: Link (Scroll down)

Yeah, and also unbuntu. personally, I vista is between. When it comes to appearance ,vista obviously better, others are the same. If you are a business person, i think you should get vista because it probably more secure and more opion choices for networks. Unbuntu's wireless network is execelent too! ;)

• Moderators
Unbuntu's wireless network is execelent too! ;)

Since when?

It works but thats about it. Setting up a home network with xp is 10x easier. (sharing printers, scanners, folders, ect)

Its only been since edgy that you didn't have to manually install drivers from the command line.

To anyone wanting to get ubuntu on their new PC I recommend you to buy a computer with windows on it and then try ubuntu if you want later. Ubuntu is free and can be installed at any time but if you have to buy windows later its probably going to cost you a good bit more for an off the shelf copy instead of the one you would get from Dell.

I heard that within this year (before 2008) they will totally stop updating XP.

No, they are just aiming to phase out the sale of new computers with XP pre-installed by 2008. XP will be supported and updated for a few years yet.