The Vista illusion

JDPower

Interesting article on Vistas System Restore/Previous Versions feature:

Vista Home and Home Premium do not support Previous Versions. Although the data for Previous Versions is on your hard drive, Home users have no access. This is not magic, it's the Sorcerer's apprentice gone wrong and using magic he has not yet fully perfected. If you are storing my data on my hard drive, shouldn't I be able to look at it and access it?

This is where the real sorcery comes into play. If one upgrades to Vista Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you can get access to all of your data. Bill Gates dons the pointy hat with moons and stars and magically gains the status of Wizard. He has now turned my data into money for him. Seriously. We have gone back and tested on multiple machines that only through upgrading can you access Previous Versions of your precious data.

Sorry Wizard Gates, I think that your magic spell may be a curse. What if we want to permanently delete a file? There is now a hidden copy of that file, that we are now unable to erase. Worse yet, if someone wanted to see my hidden file, they could upgrade my computer and see what I want deleted!

Full article here

I don't see how people need huge hard drives. I am using currently about 30 gigabytes, and I have more than enough stuff on my computer. I guess the big thing is that I don't download music (or when I do, it gets deleted or the album comes home one day, hehe).

IPB Image

i have a 40 gb and 2 250 gb drives, and they are all pretty full. i have more than 30 gb of just family pictures alone. and probably a hundred gbs of videos of the kids. :)

• Moderators
i have a 40 gb and 2 250 gb drives, and they are all pretty full. i have more than 30 gb of just family pictures alone. and probably a hundred gbs of videos of the kids. :)

Sounds like you need another 500 GB of storage. When I was at Staples the other day getting a new printer/scanner I looked at the hard drives and thought they were at a good in-store price (for people that didn't know any better), although I know they'd be even less money online.

Oh dear, will it never end. We'll all end up having to put our recycle bins onto externals drives at this rate!

:lol::lol::blink: you can do that?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

It sounds like it started off as a good feature but then they stunk it up at the end by locking it in premium home and basic.

I've had files where I wished I could go back to a previous version after I didn't like the changes made, and it would be cool to be able to do so. But to record everything I do and then not give me access to the files is more than annoying and might be enough to drive me away when it gets down too it. I'm constantly moving around music and movies on my pcs and if its going to keep a copy of everything I delete, my HD is going to be full in under a week. :blink:

Sounds like you need another 500 GB of storage. When I was at Staples the other day getting a new printer/scanner I looked at the hard drives and thought they were at a good in-store price (for people that didn't know any better), although I know they'd be even less money online.

(I work at Staples)

The ad this week is pretty crummy, I'd check again on the fifteenth.

IPB Image

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...