AVG or Avast?

Canary

It will do automatic scanning. :)
Now by that do you mean Real Time Protection scanning or the stupid feature that you can set when to scan? <_<

In the past AVG gave me Update problems but now I believe I think they've fixed that.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

Stupid feature? No, its not a stupid feature, its one of the most useful ones actually.

Not having to remember to scan for viruses is a huge feature for 99% of average computer users. Antivir, AVG, and even that AOL thing all will do this, with avast you have to pay for it. :rolleyes:

• Moderators
Stupid feature? No, its not a stupid feature, its one of the most useful ones actually.

Not having to remember to scan for viruses is a huge feature for 99% of average computer users. Antivir, AVG, and even that AOL thing all will do this, with avast you have to pay for it. :rolleyes:

That's why when I knew I was going to have to be hospitalized last year I quickly removed Avast Home Edition, and then installed AVG Free since I knew it would carry out daily virus scans in my absence.

You can get the Avast Home Edition to do automatic scans by using Avast Quick Scanner which requires command line parameters via Task Scheduler. It won't load the full GUI but instead the small one like when right clicking and scanning a file.

Here's how to use it:

Avast Anti-Virus: Avast Quick Scanner------------------------------------------------------------------------Path to scanner:C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exeParameter that must always be used to scan a folder full of files,example (the quotes are required, also notice the asterick at the end):"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "C:\Temp\*"How to scan an individual file (the quotes are required, as is an actualfilename):"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "C:\Temp\setup.exe"How to scan a whole hard disk:"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "C:\*"------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright sorry my mistake but it's just a feature that I don't mind not having. I scan every two months for viruses anyhow but with the people I help I don't recommend that feature to be used. Just my opinion anyways.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators
Alright sorry my mistake but it's just a feature that I don't mind not having. I scan every two months for viruses anyhow but with the people I help I don't recommend that feature to be used. Just my opinion anyways.

Well I hope the people you help remember to scan their pc for viruses every now and then.

I set up computers to have virus scans to be run at a time when the person knows the computer will be on(and if they leave it on all the time, I let it run in the middle of the night). Its infinetely useful because if you set it up right you can make the computer basically take care of itself, which is what it should be doing.

Well I hope the people you help remember to scan their pc for viruses every now and then.

I set up computers to have virus scans to be run at a time when the person knows the computer will be on(and if they leave it on all the time, I let it run in the middle of the night). Its infinetely useful because if you set it up right you can make the computer basically take care of itself, which is what it should be doing.

Heh, computers aren't that smart yet but they will be one day lol. I do explain to scan every month. Now with Anti-Spyware Apps. I have them told to scan once a week or two. I've checked since yesterday and all the people I've worked with check for updates once every three days or even a week.

• Moderators

Computers are that smart though.(well, you can make them that smart)

1. turn on auto updates

2. Have your AV update and scan on its own.

3. Have CCleaner use /auto or scedual disk clean ups with windows

4. If you have a paid Antispyware like AVG have it do the same as the AV.

Thats it, the computer is more or less taking care of itself. Sure there are things that you may have to do now and then, but for the most part you wont.

:unsure:

I would uninstall avast. AVG is lighter on ram usage and it will do automatic scanning. :)

I have been unable to recieve updates for AVG Anti-Spware Free Version) since yesterday Wed. Apr. 11-2007. I click on updates and nothing happens. I don't receive a error message or anything. I have my Firewall confiurated for this program and never had any problems with updates until as of yesterday.

Haven't use AVG, but Avast is very good. There just came new program update (Version 4.7.981), where is, i.e. this fix that i like:

auto-updates now use much less CPU resources (should not interfere with other CPU-intensive programs running on the computer, e.g. games)

Full changelog: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-...on-history.html

Haven't use AVG, but Avast is very good. There just came new program update (Version 4.7.981), where is, i.e. this fix that i like:

auto-updates now use much less CPU resources (should not interfere with other CPU-intensive programs running on the computer, e.g. games)

I noticed that Issue. It's fix now Thx God! :)

• Moderators

This is the second time I've posted this reply today, first one disappeared. 1%20(11).gif

Anyway, thanks for the update tip CeeCee, just done that from Avasts program update function which I've neglected to check for a while.

Been using this for some time now, and like it a lot.

Thanks again.

:)

I use avast on my laptop and antivir on my desktop and like them both. Can't speak for avg now, but years ago when i used it, it always gave me problems. But i hear its awesome right now. To be honest, I think antivir us the best antivirus out there. i have had zero issues with it, and its easy to use.

• Moderators
Anyway, thanks for the update tip CeeCee, just done that from Avasts program update function which I've neglected to check for a while.

Just switched back to Avast myself very earily this morning since AntiVir still has update problems. No sooner did I download and install Avast and they updated the program version to 4.7.986 so you'll need to check for the program update again. Of course you'll have to restart Windows after it updates.

• Moderators

I use AntiVir and luckily have no update problems.

I liked Avast a lot, but it didn't seem to like my system too much, made heavy work of it, and the mail scanner I had to disable almost immediately, as I found racing pigeons would have been quicker. :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I use AntiVir and luckily have no update problems.

I liked Avast a lot, but it didn't seem to like my system too much, made heavy work of it, and the mail scanner I had to disable almost immediately, as I found racing pigeons would have been quicker. :)

lol

they updated the program version to 4.7.986 so you'll need to check for the program update again.

That is just a small update.

Version 4.7.986

April 18, 2007

-fixed the Outlook/Exchange provider on Windows 9x/ME

-solved incompatibility of memory scan with certain 3rd party applications

-fixed the boot-time scan under Windows NT 4.0

• Moderators
Just switched back to Avast myself very earily this morning since AntiVir still has update problems. No sooner did I download and install Avast and they updated the program version to 4.7.986 so you'll need to check for the program update again. Of course you'll have to restart Windows after it updates.

Thanks, done that.

:)