How to disable 'Software Updater'

Hello,

Ccleaner (64bit) 6.23.11010 PORTABLE FREE version installed on Windows 10, simple cable modem setup, nothing else.

I disabled my internet, installed Ccleaner. I've got a problem though.

Even when I use run CCleaner context menu from the recycle bin, it ALWAYS tries to create an outbound connection and connect to the internet. I've created a simple firewall rule to block it, but it's annoying me that I can't figure out why it's trying to connect.

I don't have driver updater.

The only thing I can think it is, is software updater feature, which I thought wasn't supposed to run unless I press update or refresh?

1) Is there any regedit or ini setting I can use to disable 'Software Updater'?

2) Why is CCleaner64.exe trying to connect to the internet, especially when it's the portable version?

Here are the destination IP addresses:

I figured it out:

Use regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner

Create string value:

(Cfg)SoftwareUpdater

0 is OFF
1 is ON

Now, can someone tell me how to remove the "Health Check" main tab so it's just "Custom Clean", Registry, Tools, and Options?

• Moderators

I have merged your two threads about the same topic.

Firstly:- The Portable is not meant to be installed - (the clue is in the word "Portable").
If you do install it then it will behave like the CCleaner installed versions.
Except that as you note it doesn't have UI buttons for Driver Updater or Performance Optimiser, because those need an installed CCleaner and the Portable is not meant to be installed.

Note that the Software Updater, whether the one in Health Check or the one in Tools, cannot update anything in the Free CCleaner versions anyway.
In Portable (not installed) it can't even check for new sofware versions because it doesn't 'phone home', HC ignores that in Portable (not installed) but if you try to use the seperate Tool to do a software scan then you get an error.

Second: As for your above registy tweak*, and whether you can remove the Health Check button from the UI:

Removing the button from the UI can be done but isn't meant to be done, (and you neeed to change more than simply one reg entry), but if you do that then it will just come back again next update.
*As no doubt your registry tweak above will also revert to default with the next CCleaner update.
There is also no guarantee that those reg entries will not be altered (or even renamed or removed) in future.

It's much easier all round to simply install the correct CCleaner and then ignore Health Check if you don't want to use it.

You can easily set CCleaner so that it always shows you Custom Clean on opening, and then you can toally ignore Health Check if you want to.
(I have mine set like that).

Options>Settings>CCleaner Home Screen
image.png

PS. If you do block CCleaners' outgoing connections then certain functions will not work properly or not work at all.
CCleaner needs those connectons to function properly, you either accept that or don't use CCleaner. Your choice.

(But if you do block any/all of the connections then please mention that fact if/when coming back here for help because your CCleaner is then not working as it should do).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi Anony2000:

I am a long-time user of CCleaner Free Portable that I run from a removable USB stick and I have never installed CCleaner on my computer.  See my 21-Jul-2023 post on page 5 of Wisewiz's Welcome Back to CCleaner Professional ???  about the registry entries at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Piriform that CCleaner Free Portable creates on my system.  I sent a support request to Avast / Piriform in July 2023 asking why a portable app would have to create all these registry entries, and if there was any way to prevent their creation in the first place, and never received a response.

That July 2023 topic of Wisewiz's is seven pages long but you might find some useful information in pages 4 to 7.  The OP Wisewiz posted <here> on 18-Oct-2023 that they switched to using a modified version of CCleaner (ccPortable) from PortableApps.com that does not create these registry entries.

I haven't made that switch to ccPortable yet, but I have a 64-bit OS and whenever I update CCleaner Free Portable I unzip the zipped file (e.g., ccsetup6xx.zip) and delete every file except CCleaner64.exe, portable.dat and License.txt - see my 26-Nov-2023 post <here> on page 7 of Wisewiz's topic for further details (NOTE: I also and keep the ccleaner.ini file from the previous that stores my custom configuration settings - the \Log and \Setup folders are created the first time CCleaner64.exe is launched) .  I have no need for the extra bloat that Avast / Piriform has added to CCleaner in recent years (e.g., Health Check, Software Updater, Driver Updater,etc.), and Custom Clean and the registry cleaner (which I rarely us) still work correctly on my system.

CCleanerv6_23FourEssentialPortableFiles06May2024.png.46f17efeddf549a764cce6542d6145e3.png

I have also disabled automatic updating at Options | Updates | Keep CCleaner Updated Automatically,  deleted the CCleaner Update task from the Windows Task Scheduler (my image below is from Sep 2022 when I was using CCleaner Free Portable v5.89, but I'm guessing newer versions of CCleaner Portable v6.xx still create this  scheduled task in Task Scheduler), and created a firewall rule to block all incoming and outgoing traffic by CCleaner64.exe through my Windows firewall) to eliminate as much unwanted (and completely unnecessary) background activity by CCleaner Free Portable as possible.

CCleaner5_89ScheduledTaskCCleanerUpdateCCUpdate_exeDeleted18May2022.png.54ac8d9f7594b39b7be3cf5cf2450724.png

------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4291 * Firefox v125.0.3 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24030.9-1.1.24030.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.3.110-1.0.1219 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010

On 06/05/2024 at 03:25, nukecad said:

I have merged your two threads about the same topic.

Firstly:- The Portable is not meant to be installed - (the clue is in the word "Portable").
If you do install it then it will behave like the CCleaner installed versions.
Except that as you note it doesn't have UI buttons for Driver Updater or Performance Optimiser, because those need an installed CCleaner and the Portable is not meant to be installed.

Note that the Software Updater, whether the one in Health Check or the one in Tools, cannot update anything in the Free CCleaner versions anyway.
In Portable (not installed) it can't even check for new sofware versions because it doesn't 'phone home', HC ignores that in Portable (not installed) but if you try to use the seperate Tool to do a software scan then you get an error.

Second: As for your above registy tweak*, and whether you can remove the Health Check button from the UI:

Removing the button from the UI can be done but isn't meant to be done, (and you neeed to change more than simply one reg entry), but if you do that then it will just come back again next update.
*As no doubt your registry tweak above will also revert to default with the next CCleaner update.
There is also no guarantee that those reg entries will not be altered (or even renamed or removed) in future.

It's much easier all round to simply install the correct CCleaner and then ignore Health Check if you don't want to use it.

You can easily set CCleaner so that it always shows you Custom Clean on opening, and then you can toally ignore Health Check if you want to.
(I have mine set like that).

Options>Settings>CCleaner Home Screen
image.png

PS. If you do block CCleaners' outgoing connections then certain functions will not work properly or not work at all.
CCleaner needs those connectons to function properly, you either accept that or don't use CCleaner. Your choice.

(But if you do block any/all of the connections then please mention that fact if/when coming back here for help because your CCleaner is then not working as it should do).

1) I did not install it. I unzipped it, put in Program Files folder and then got deleted everything except the ccleaner64.exe. The only files in that folder are CCleaner64.exe, portable.dat, ccleaner.ini, Winapp2.ini. The log and setup folder get recreated every time ccleaner runs.

2) How do I modify the registry to get rid of the health check tab?

3) Why are the following connections being made? What, specifically, is making those connections? I have everything unchecked in options (except for Save all settings to INI file).

On 06/05/2024 at 08:18, lmacri said:

Hi Anony2000:

I am a long-time user of CCleaner Free Portable that I run from a removable USB stick and I have never installed CCleaner on my computer.  See my 21-Jul-2023 post on page 5 of Wisewiz's Welcome Back to CCleaner Professional ???  about the registry entries at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Piriform that CCleaner Free Portable creates on my system.  I sent a support request to Avast / Piriform in July 2023 asking why a portable app would have to create all these registry entries, and if there was any way to prevent their creation in the first place, and never received a response.

That July 2023 topic of Wisewiz's is seven pages long but you might find some useful information in pages 4 to 7.  The OP Wisewiz posted <here> on 18-Oct-2023 that they switched to using a modified version of CCleaner (ccPortable) from PortableApps.com that does not create these registry entries.

I haven't made that switch to ccPortable yet, but I have a 64-bit OS and whenever I update CCleaner Free Portable I unzip the zipped file (e.g., ccsetup6xx.zip) and delete every file except CCleaner64.exe, portable.dat and License.txt - see my 26-Nov-2023 post <here> on page 7 of Wisewiz's topic for further details (NOTE: I also and keep the ccleaner.ini file from the previous that stores my custom configuration settings - the \Log and \Setup folders are created the first time CCleaner64.exe is launched) .  I have no need for the extra bloat that Avast / Piriform has added to CCleaner in recent years (e.g., Health Check, Software Updater, Driver Updater,etc.), and Custom Clean and the registry cleaner (which I rarely us) still work correctly on my system.

CCleanerv6_23FourEssentialPortableFiles06May2024.png.46f17efeddf549a764cce6542d6145e3.png

I have also disabled automatic updating at Options | Updates | Keep CCleaner Updated Automatically,  deleted the CCleaner Update task from the Windows Task Scheduler (my image below is from Sep 2022 when I was using CCleaner Free Portable v5.89, but I'm guessing newer versions of CCleaner Portable v6.xx still create this  scheduled task in Task Scheduler), and created a firewall rule to block all incoming and outgoing traffic by CCleaner64.exe through my Windows firewall) to eliminate as much unwanted (and completely unnecessary) background activity by CCleaner Free Portable as possible.

CCleaner5_89ScheduledTaskCCleanerUpdateCCUpdate_exeDeleted18May2022.png.54ac8d9f7594b39b7be3cf5cf2450724.png

------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4291 * Firefox v125.0.3 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24030.9-1.1.24030.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.3.110-1.0.1219 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010

Thanks for the resources. Yeah, that's pretty much what I do except have it on the SSD driver.

One good point that I saw mentioned was why would a portable app install anything to the registry, when you can't obviously uninstall it (unless revo does it).

Sad that a program that used to be privacy and cleaning focused has turned into this. The fact that this is the only program I have to turn off my internet in order to install, just so it won't re-bloat itself, even with portable, is insane.

Literally, the only two programs I had ANY problem with or had to block in firewall was this & nvidia, but nvidia actually was way easier to figure out how to debloat & get rid of telemetry. Would go to bleachbit, but that program is too much for me and the one thing it does or didn't have was whitelisting cookies not to be deleted, that's essential for me.

• Moderators

I'd suggest the same as lmacri, try using the version that you can download at portableapps.com

It isn't 'official' of course because it's a repackage, (but Piriform/CCleaner currently turn a blind eye to that).

As for those four IP's 'whois' will tell you who there are, https://who.is/
But to save everyone reading this searching:
The second one is Google LLC.  https://www.globaldata.com/company-profile/google-llc/
The others are Akami tecnologies inc. - A content delivery  service: https://www.akamai.com/

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

On 08/05/2024 at 02:58, nukecad said:

I'd suggest the same as lmacri, try using the version that you can download at portableapps.com

It isn't 'official' of course because it's a repackage, (but Piriform/CCleaner currently turn a blind eye to that).

As for those four IP's 'whois' will tell you who there are, https://who.is/
But to save everyone reading this searching:
The second one is Google LLC.  https://www.globaldata.com/company-profile/google-llc/
The others are Akami tecnologies inc. - A content delivery  service: https://www.akamai.com/

I tried portable apps and it's bloatware with all the crap included.

How do I disable software updater? You said you knew.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Anony2000 said:

How do I disable software updater? You said you knew.

Sorry,
As a moderator I am not going to post unofficial tweaks on the open forum.

If users were meant to be able to do things like that themselves then there would be an option for it in the CCleaner settings.

I have already given you quite a big clue in that it can be done, and as you say that you are familiar with the registry editor then that should be enough for you to be able to work it out yourself.
(One more clue - there are now 2 different Software Updaters in CCleaner).

Frankly anyone who is unable to work it out for themselves shouldn't be 'playing about' in the registry at all, they are liable to break something important.

Note to everyone reading - Don't mess with the Windows Registy unless you know what you are doing - You could break something or even 'Brick' your machine.

15 hours ago, Anony2000 said:

I tried portable apps and it's bloatware with all the crap included. How do I disable software updater?...

Hi Anony2000:

Could you just confirm that you wiped all traces of the "regular" CCleaner off your system (e.g., HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Piriform registry keys plus all Windows Task Scheduler tasks related to CCleaner; also look for any orphaned Piriform / CCleaner folders in C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86) and the hidden C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData if you've ever installed a "regular" version of CCleaner Free or Pro on the hard drive of your computer in the past) before you tested ccPortable?  I doubt that would remove all the unwanted bloat from ccPortable like Software Updater but it would give you a fresh start without any CCleaner registry entries.

Also confirm that you always delete the highlighted files and subfolders shown below immediately after you unzip any ccsetup6xx.zip file (i..e, before CCleaner64.exe is launched), including files like CCleanerBugReport.exe, CCleanerDU.dll, and wa_3rd_party_host_32.exe / wa_3rd_party_host_64.exe (two new executables in the \x86 and \x64 subfolders that were added some time around the release of CCleaner v6.18 in Nov 2023; I believe they are components of the OESIS V4 SDK developed by OPSWAT, Inc. that might be associated with Software Updater - see TheOwner's 23-Nov-2023 topic What is wa_3rd_party_host_64.exe in CCleaner Folder).  Note that you must keep the \Lang subfolder if you use a non-English version of CCleaner.

CCleanerv6_23ccssetup623_zipAllUnzippedFiles10May2024.png.b2b67a5a2d678525d38f610702bed4f8.png

Could you also explain how you know that it is Software Updater (i.e., the CCleaner feature at Tools | Software Updater that checks for updates for third-party software installed on your system) and not another CCleaner feature like automatic background checks for available CCleaner program updates (or even those annoying system tray pop-up ads nagging me to upgrade to CCleaner Pro that sometimes appear when I launch CCleaner Free Portable) that is making connections through your firewall?  Note that I don't use Winapp2.ini, so that adds a whole extra layer of complexity to your CCleaner configuration.

I'm not a computer hardware expert and I don't normally monitor every attempted connection through my firewall using a utility like TCPView, so if you've deleted files and subfolders shown in the image above then the only CCleaner-related .exe or .ddl file on your system should be CCleaner64.exe.  If you've created firewall rules to block all incoming and outgoing traffic by CCleaner64.exe through your firewall then how do you prove that it is CCleaner that is still making connections to the four IP addresses you listed <above>?
----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4291 * Firefox v125.0.3 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24030.9-1.1.24040.1 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.4.112-1.0.1233 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010

• Moderators

I did post above what those 4 IPs are:

On 08/05/2024 at 10:58, nukecad said:

13 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi Anony2000:

Could you just confirm that you wiped all traces of the "regular" CCleaner off your system (e.g., HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Piriform registry keys plus all Windows Task Scheduler tasks related to CCleaner; also look for any orphaned Piriform / CCleaner folders in C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86) and the hidden C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData if you've ever installed a "regular" version of CCleaner Free or Pro on the hard drive of your computer in the past) before you tested ccPortable?  I doubt that would remove all the unwanted bloat from ccPortable like Software Updater but it would give you a fresh start without any CCleaner registry entries.

Also confirm that you always delete the highlighted files and subfolders shown below immediately after you unzip any ccsetup6xx.zip file (i..e, before CCleaner64.exe is launched), including files like CCleanerBugReport.exe, CCleanerDU.dll, and wa_3rd_party_host_32.exe / wa_3rd_party_host_64.exe (two new executables in the \x86 and \x64 subfolders that were added some time around the release of CCleaner v6.18 in Nov 2023; I believe they are components of the OESIS V4 SDK developed by OPSWAT, Inc. that might be associated with Software Updater - see TheOwner's 23-Nov-2023 topic What is wa_3rd_party_host_64.exe in CCleaner Folder).  Note that you must keep the \Lang subfolder if you use a non-English version of CCleaner.

CCleanerv6_23ccssetup623_zipAllUnzippedFiles10May2024.png.b2b67a5a2d678525d38f610702bed4f8.png

Could you also explain how you know that it is Software Updater (i.e., the CCleaner feature at Tools | Software Updater that checks for updates for third-party software installed on your system) and not another CCleaner feature like automatic background checks for available CCleaner program updates (or even those annoying system tray pop-up ads nagging me to upgrade to CCleaner Pro that sometimes appear when I launch CCleaner Free Portable) that is making connections through your firewall?  Note that I don't use Winapp2.ini, so that adds a whole extra layer of complexity to your CCleaner configuration.

I'm not a computer hardware expert and I don't normally monitor every attempted connection through my firewall using a utility like TCPView, so if you've deleted files and subfolders shown in the image above then the only CCleaner-related .exe or .ddl file on your system should be CCleaner64.exe.  If you've created firewall rules to block all incoming and outgoing traffic by CCleaner64.exe through your firewall then how do you prove that it is CCleaner that is still making connections to the four IP addresses you listed <above>?
----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4291 * Firefox v125.0.3 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24030.9-1.1.24040.1 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.4.112-1.0.1233 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.23.11010

Other than these two places, no settings in regedit. I have no clue what the acqsrv line is.

Here is exactly what I have in registry:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner

One dword here:

AP - 1

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner

(Cfg)HealthCheck - 0

(Cfg)LastUpdate - 05/10/2024 07:20:12 PM (It didn't connect cause it's blocked, but it sure does try, lol).

(Cfg)QuickClean - 0

(Cfg)SoftwareUpdater - 0

AcqSrc -mmm_ccl_oth_007_745_m

DataFolder - C:\Program Files\CCleaner\

GD - 85817c94-4b03-401d-9306-4eedb5d9bd42

ProgramFolder - C:\Program Files\CCleaner\

ccleaner.ini (Removed most of the (Apps) to shorten it & the long letter/number combination after STS cause I don't know what that represents:

[Options]
DAST=05/10/2024 19:20:11
T8062=5
HomeScreen=2
DefaultDetailedView=2
UpdateBackground=0
FTU=03/05/2024|51|1
AcqSrc=mmm_ccl_oth_007_745_m
WipeFreeSpaceDrives=
LatestICS=6.23.11010
CookiesToSave=twitch.tv|twitter.com|www.twitch.tv
RunICS=0
Monitoring=0
LTR=05/10/2024 19:20:12
WINDOW_LEFT=0
WINDOW_TOP=0
WINDOW_WIDTH=1280
WINDOW_HEIGHT=885
WINDOW_MAX=1
PrefsPrivacyShowOffers1stParty=0
HelpImproveCCleaner=0
BackupPrompt=0
DelayTemp=0
UpdateCheck=0
BCD=0,
WipeMFTFreeSpace=0
SecureDeleteType=1
FinderInclude1=PATH|C:\|*.*|RECURSE|0|0|24
FinderIncludeStates=1
AnalyzerTypes=1|1|1|1|0|0|0
SystemAnalyzerDrives=C:\
(App)Missing Shared DLLs=False
(App)Invalid File Extensions=False
(App)ActiveX and Class Issues=False
(App)Interface=False
(App)Applications=False
(App)Fonts=False
(App)Application Paths=False
(App)Help Files=False
(App)Installer=False
(App)Obsolete Software=False
(App)Run At Startup=False
(App)Start Menu Ordering=False
(App)MUI Cache=False
(App)Sound Events=False
(App)Windows Services=False
(App)Mozilla - Bookmarks Backup=True
(App)Mozilla - Saved Form Information=True
(App)Notepad++=True
(App)DNS Cache=True
(App)Windows Error Reporting=True
(App)Edge Chromium - Session=True
(App)Edge Chromium - Saved Form Information=True
(App)Edge Chromium - Saved Passwords=True
(App)Edge Chromium - Bookmarks Backup=True
(App)Autocomplete Form History=True
(App)Saved Passwords=True
(App)Recent Documents=True
ShowCleanWarning=False
STS=
cmp_t=00-tips
cmp_tv=304
SplitterPositionCleaner=405
UpdateKey=05/08/2024 01:34:42 AM
CountryCode=US
LastCheckCountry=05/07/2024 11:01:41 AM
CheckTrialOffer=0
PrefsPrivacyShowOffers3rdParty=0
SkipUAC=0
JumplistTasks=0
(App)Microsoft Edge Login Data *=True
(App)Microsoft Edge Bookmark Backup *=True
LastCleaningScan=05/10/2024 19:20:12
AmountToClean=0
NumOfItemsToClean=0

In "Setup" folder I have one file, config.def

[common]
DumpReporting=1

portable.date file with contents

#PORTABLE#

and that's ALL I have related to CCleaner.

19 hours ago, nukecad said:

Sorry,
As a moderator I am not going to post unofficial tweaks on the open forum.

If users were meant to be able to do things like that themselves then there would be an option for it in the CCleaner settings.

I have already given you quite a big clue in that it can be done, and as you say that you are familiar with the registry editor then that should be enough for you to be able to work it out yourself.
(One more clue - there are now 2 different Software Updaters in CCleaner).

Frankly anyone who is unable to work it out for themselves shouldn't be 'playing about' in the registry at all, they are liable to break something important.

Note to everyone reading - Don't mess with the Windows Registy unless you know what you are doing - You could break something or even 'Brick' your machine.

Jesus, calm down. I'm not gonna brick my computer by messing with string values in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner

"Frankly" anyone who is unwilling to help someone improve their user experience with a program shouldn't be a mod.

Welp,

Figured out almost everything (except how to remove the registry tab. The (Cfg)HideRegistry changing to 1 just unchecked all options under Registry Cleaner).

I just used the installer version of Ccleaner for the first time in ages (WOW what a bloatware trash program Avast turned it into) and now I have access to all the registry options that I can now export and use for the portable version. Of course, would've been a lot easier if someone had just posted them.

For future reference, CCleaner Portable doesn't create all the registry keys that the installer does. SO, I had no idea about these keys in:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner

I'm not 100% sure about this, but it seems that the IPM in (Cfg)QuickCleanIpm stands for Internet Page Menu. Hopefully, if I add all those back in after getting portable again and disabling them, that might stop CCleaner from trying to make as many internet connections, idk though.

Place where people can get some of the registry tweaks: https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=1065800&st=280

Also, in regards to their being two software updaters, I now see:

(Cfg)OPSWATSoftwareUpdater

(Cfg)OPSWATSoftwareUpdaterHC (don't know what the HC means yet)

(Cfg)SoftwareUpdater

Can't figure out following entries yet.

(Cfg)PC

(Cfg)PE

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Anony2000 said:

"Frankly" anyone who is unwilling to help someone improve their user experience with a program shouldn't be a mod.

Helping people to use the software correctly is one thing.

Tweaking/hacking a software so that it works differently than intended is something else entirely.

(YOU may be competent in the registry, but remember that others who may be reading and who are not so competent can get in trouble when following, we do see it happen).

As I said above if such a modification was intended for a user to make then it would be included in the options/settings so that they can do it easily.

BTW You may have noticed that we don't usually remove such hacks when they do get posted by general users.
However being a moderator has responsibilities, and so we are not normally going to post them ourselves. (Unless maybe if such a tweak is needed as a temporary fix to a problem).

When Opened to Custom Clean, two connections are made (on port 80, the IP address to connect can change, port 443 stays the same):

104.103.68.113 - port 80
104.103.68.73 - port 80

23.207.41.41 - port 443

When using the context menu "run ccleaner" Recycle Bin, only one connection is attempted, on port 80 (one of the two IP addresses above). I tried this multiple times and so far it's only tried to connect to 104.103.68.73

When clicking on the tab Easy Clean (or when selecting to open to tab), an additional connection is made to:

34.111.24.1 - port 443

After closing and reopening for a while, I waited a bit longer between times and got a new IP address:

199.232.146.172 - Fastly

I think this is the licensing verification website, to check if I have a verified license, not 100% sure. I think that though because that IP address never came up over hours, just once.

I also changed dump reporting to 0 one time to get a new file, unp31106044868866574i-unhandled.mdmp
Lots of jargon but going through it as a text file seeing if there's any info on there.

THREE THINGS:

1) What to put in regedit to remove either the 'Registry' tab or the 'Easy Clean' tab?

2) Is there any way to stop those two connections being made on 'Custom Clean' tab?

3) Any way to stop the 'LOG' folder from being created every time I open CCleaner64.exe

• Moderators

@Anony2000

Before I open  CCleaner  I always disconnect from the internet, then I use CCleaner custom clean.

I close CCleaner when finished and then switch the internet back on.

Takes no time at all and it is something I have done for a long while now.

But that's just me.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If anybody knows, PM if you don't wanna post here:

1) What to put in regedit to remove either the 'Registry' tab or the 'Easy Clean' tab?

2) Is there any way to stop those two connections being made on 'Custom Clean' tab?

3) Any way to stop the 'LOG' folder from being created every time I open CCleaner64.exe

I figured out, with portable, if you add to (Cfg)DumpReporting=0

to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\CCleaner]

*That gets rid of the config.def file and folder that's created.

• Moderators

Easiest way to disable it is to create a block on the .EXE files (CCleaner.exe, CCleaner64.exe) in Windows Firewall (or other software firewall).

Note that blocking .EXE files that are typically always trying to phone home which you have no control over via their GUI can cause them to have an unreasonable delay when opening the program each and every time. Using the now very old version of CCleaner Portable (official portable, not the one from PortableApps.com) that I continue to use I haven't encountered that at all, however with Recuva Portable it's a rather massive delay before the GUI displays.

On 11/05/2024 at 23:26, Andavari said:

Easiest way to disable it is to create a block on the .EXE files (CCleaner.exe, CCleaner64.exe) in Windows Firewall (or other software firewall).

Note that blocking .EXE files that are typically always trying to phone home which you have no control over via their GUI can cause them to have an unreasonable delay when opening the program each and every time. Using the now very old version of CCleaner Portable (official portable, not the one from PortableApps.com) that I continue to use I haven't encountered that at all, however with Recuva Portable it's a rather massive delay before the GUI displays.

Which version of CCleaner Portable are you using?