Tips and tricks

Eldmannen

Text output of running processes

If you open up the "Command Prompt" and type "tasklist" then it lists tasks on the system.

C:\>tasklistImage Name				   PID Session Name	 Session#	Mem Usage========================= ====== ================ ======== ============System Idle Process			0 Console				 0		 16 KSystem						 4 Console				 0		224 KSMSS.EXE					 388 Console				 0		372 KCSRSS.EXE					460 Console				 0	  2 828 KWINLOGON.EXE				 580 Console				 0	  6 448 KSERVICES.EXE				 632 Console				 0	  4 168 KLSASS.EXE					644 Console				 0	  1 256 KSVCHOST.EXE				  824 Console				 0	  4 456 KSVCHOST.EXE				  892 Console				 0	  3 824 KSVCHOST.EXE				  964 Console				 0	 18 512 KSVCHOST.EXE				 1128 Console				 0	  3 104 KEXPLORER.EXE				1168 Console				 0	  9 268 KSVCHOST.EXE				  776 Console				 0	  4 024 Kcmd.exe					 1404 Console				 0	  2 460 Ktasklist.exe				 988 Console				 0	  3 968 Kwmiprvse.exe				 560 Console				 0	  5 376 K

Kinda like the Windows Task Manager, but from the console with data that can you copy and paste, write on forums, etc.

I wonder why the Windows Task Manager doesn't have any "Export to data to text file" option.

More detailed information in Windows Task Manager

Open the Windows Task Manager, select the "Processes" tab, select the "View" menu, then choose "Select Columns...", from here you can choose to enable more columns that present more data about the processes that are running on your operating system.

Which process runs what services?

Open "Command Prompt", type "tasklist /SVC".

C:\>tasklist /SVCImage Name				   PID Services========================= ====== =============================================System Idle Process			0 N/ASystem						 4 N/ASMSS.EXE					 388 N/ACSRSS.EXE					460 N/AWINLOGON.EXE				 580 N/ASERVICES.EXE				 632 Eventlog, PlugPlayLSASS.EXE					644 ProtectedStorage, SamSsSVCHOST.EXE				  824 DcomLaunch, TermServiceSVCHOST.EXE				  892 RpcSsSVCHOST.EXE				  964 AudioSrv, CryptSvc, Dhcp, dmserver,							 EventSystem, Netman, Nla, RasMan, Schedule,							 seclogon, SENS, SharedAccess,							 ShellHWDetection, srservice, TapiSrv,							 winmgmt, wscsvc, wuauservSVCHOST.EXE				 1128 DnscacheEXPLORER.EXE				1168 N/AFIREFOX.EXE				 1108 N/ASVCHOST.EXE				  776 stisvccmd.exe					  952 N/Atasklist.exe				 816 N/Awmiprvse.exe				1340 N/A

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

This may be helpful for people who maintain a collection of HOSTS files.

I use three rather large hosts files; my homemade hosts file, hpHOSTS, and MVPS and to combine all of them, and install them, and reboot Windows (although I use my own written restart program), I do this via a command prompt:

This is just how to combine them:

copy "my hosts file.txt"+"hpHOSTS file.txt"+"MVPS hosts file.txt" "HOSTS"

This of course works with other files as well, e.g.;

copy "text file a.txt"+"text file b.txt" "text file.txt"

I believe it also works on mp3's according to some old audio forum discussion from years ago, but immediately afterwords you'd have to rebuild the mp3 header information in something like foobar2000 or vbrfix.

• Moderators

Tasklist.exe is installed by default in windows xp pro, not the home edition.

XP home edition users can download it here.

http://www.computerhope.com/download/winxp.htm 2nd one down.

Place in your window/system32 folder, do a comand prompt (cmd.exe) and type in

tasklist /m > tasklist.rtf ( note the spaces) and press enter, and an .rtf list of .dlls on your computer will be generated in documents and settings /username. Here is some of my list. This function could be useful for spotting ones that have been put there by nasties.

svchost.exe 1188 ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, ADVAPI32.dll,

RPCRT4.dll, ShimEng.dll, AcGenral.DLL,

USER32.dll, GDI32.dll, WINMM.dll, ole32.dll,

msvcrt.dll, OLEAUT32.dll, MSACM32.dll,

VERSION.dll, SHELL32.dll, SHLWAPI.dll,

USERENV.dll, UxTheme.dll, IMM32.DLL,

LPK.DLL, USP10.dll, comctl32.dll,

comctl32.dll, NTMARTA.DLL, WLDAP32.dll,

SAMLIB.dll, rpcss.dll, Secur32.dll,

WS2_32.dll, WS2HELP.dll, xpsp2res.dll,

termsrv.dll, ICAAPI.dll, SETUPAPI.dll,

WINTRUST.dll, CRYPT32.dll, MSASN1.dll,

IMAGEHLP.dll, AUTHZ.dll, mstlsapi.dll,

ACTIVEDS.dll, adsldpc.dll, NETAPI32.dll,

ATL.DLL, REGAPI.dll, rsaenh.dll,

CLBCATQ.DLL, COMRes.dll, Apphelp.dll,

WTSAPI32.dll, WINSTA.dll, msv1_0.dll,

iphlpapi.dll

svchost.exe 1484 ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, ADVAPI32.dll,

RPCRT4.dll, ShimEng.dll, AcGenral.DLL,

USER32.dll, GDI32.dll, WINMM.dll, ole32.dll,

msvcrt.dll, OLEAUT32.dll, MSACM32.dll,

VERSION.dll, SHELL32.dll, SHLWAPI.dll,

USERENV.dll, UxTheme.dll, IMM32.DLL,

LPK.DLL, USP10.dll, comctl32.dll,

comctl32.dll, rpcss.dll, Secur32.dll,

WS2_32.dll, WS2HELP.dll, xpsp2res.dll,

rsaenh.dll, mswsock.dll, VetRedir.dll,

hnetcfg.dll, ISafeIf.dll, wshtcpip.dll,

DNSAPI.dll, iphlpapi.dll, winrnr.dll,

WLDAP32.dll, wshbth.dll, SETUPAPI.dll,

rasadhlp.dll, CLBCATQ.DLL, COMRes.dll

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Ever changed your AV or uninstalled some other security app.

More than likely they have left behind ghost drivers that can't be seen even with show hidden devices ticked.

Still had Vet,ZAP,Nod32 and a few other ghost drivers here.

Some greyed out ones are MS default and won't be deleted.

Two types of devices are hidden in Device Manager: non-plug and play devices and ghosted devices (nonpresent).

Right click My Computer and click Properties.

From the Hardware tab, click Device Manager. Select Show Hidden Devices from the View menu.

Forcing Device Manager to show ghosted devices requires a little more work.

Right click My Computer and click Properties. From the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables. Under System Variables, click the New button.

Type "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" - no quotes - for the Variable Name. Under Variable Value, type ?1? and click OK. Click OK twice more to apply your changes and exit the System Properties dialog box.

Now open Device Manager again and from the View menu, click Show Hidden Devices.

Right click any belonging to any apps that you know you have got rid of and uninstall.

• Moderators

Two little tips I use are,

1. If I am posting in a thread and I need to look back at another ccleaner page for info, I press Ctrl + N this brings up another ccleaner page where I can look back without losing my post on the original one ( applies to all web pages)

2. When surfing and I find a page I want to save to favourites, I just click, hold and drag the little blue icon in front of the address in the address bar, and drop it in favourites just above to the right.

I use Internet Explorer.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Two little tips I use are,

1. If I am posting in a thread and I need to look back at another ccleaner page for info, I press Ctrl + N this brings up another ccleaner page where I can look back without losing my post on the original one ( applies to all web pages)

With FF you can also middle click Ccleaners tab which will put two Ccleaner page tabs side by side making it easy to navigate between the two.

If you want to search for a word or phrase from a site instead of copy and paste you can left click to highlight then right click and "search google for".

I use that quite often in help forums for error messages or codes.

I think the extension "tab mix plus" adds 10 or so search engines to the left click highlight, right click search function.

lokoike Tip #1:

Never pet a burning dog.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

2. When surfing and I find a page I want to save to favourites, I just click, hold and drag the little blue icon in front of the address in the address bar, and drop it in favourites just above to the right.

I use Internet Explorer.

I didn't know that! Hey it works in Firefox too. :)

• 3 weeks later...