Windows 11 ?

nukecad

For what it's worth, my experience going to Win 11 Home from Win 10 Home on one machine.  If there's only a local account on the computer and you upgrade via Windows Update or the Win 11 Installation Assistant, the local account is maintained and you're not asked for an MS Account.  The only setting changed was Focus Assist, which was turned on and easily turned off.  During an OOBE set up, only Win 11 Pro offers creation of a local account.  A clean install of Win 11 Home tries to demand an MS Account but there are ways around that.  However, the workarounds can be very confusing.  I used the Win 11 Installation Assistant to upgrade an Acer laptop that had a local account -- no issues.  My beast Windows desktop is staying on Win 10 for now.  My new iMac desktop with the M1 chip will be facing an upgrade to Monterey when it comes out before the end of the year.  Hopefully, that won't be problematic.

Of course, when using Win 11, there are lots of opinions and to be honest, there are some things which I think are just plain dumb -- but others may not care.  Yes, the live tiles are now static and News and Interests has been replaced with widgets.  An MS Account is needed to use the widgets.  Supposedly, widgets will eventually replace the tiles.

The start menu is loaded with nonsense but can be cleaned up by unpinning.  The Action Center, when opened, always shows the Calendar and when there is a notification, the volume for the sound alert is very, very low (even when App volume is set to 100%).  In addition, when there are notifications, Focus Assist Settings are always at the top.  The slider controls for screen brightness and volume are now accessible by left-clicking your internet, sound or battery (lappy only) icons.

One thing that's quite concerning now, optional updates in Windows Update are hidden in the WU advanced section.  What remains to be seen is when there is an optional update (I don't have any), will it show up on the main WU screen or will it require a search in the advanced section?  If the latter, many people are simply going to miss it unless they deliberately look.  Lots of people never even go to Windows Update for a manual check.

As for the operating system itself, so far it's been very smooth and error free -- how long will that last?  Finally, on the forums, the big issue is how to get around the hardware requirements for computers that don't meet them.  Easy solution -- unless you absolutely have to have the latest, just stay on Win 10 until EOL in four years.

• Moderators

I think that @crizalits the nail on the head.

Stay with Win10 unless you want to play about.

Win11 has been released too early.

Microsoft, and others, seem to have pushed beta-testing out onto users as a policy. (Looks good on accountants balance sheets, but it costs more in the long run).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

2 hours ago, Andavari said:

They now have a Win11 TV ad. I think they should have made the TV ad very confusing for people, pun intended! And where the ad reads "now available" it should also have text that reads "maybe not.";)

Understandable point.  There used to be a concept "truth in advertising".  

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update on Win 11 and this is very stupid on Microsoft's part.  If you have an optional update available, you're not going to know about it unless you deliberately go to Windows Update, then go to advanced options, and then optional updates.  At least with Win 10, if there's an optional update it's on the main WU page.  The machine I'm toying with had an optional update this morning and if I didn't go to the advanced WU section, I'd have missed it.  And, FWIW, the weather does not display on the lock screen, despite your settings.  Hasn't worked for a long time on Win 10 either so I guess that's not an important fix for MS.

• Moderators

@crizal

For interest could you tell us what Windows version CCleaner v5.86 says that you have?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

@nukecad  --  on the Win 11 machine, CCleaner v5.86 shows that I have Win 11.  On my main rig running Win 10, CCleaner shows Win 10.  I do not have the Win 18 issue.

The OP with the Win 18 issue is running CCleaner Pro.  I use CCleaner free if that makes a difference.  There was also a mention about the version issue on CCleaner for Mac.  MacOS Monterey comes out on Monday, October 25th.  Might be another thing to keep an eye on.

Edited by crizal
additional info

• Moderators

Thanks for that, it shows it's not a global issue but may be something specific to that user.

The issue with the Mac osx version is known about, Big Sur officially has two different version numbers (10.16 or 11.#) depending on where, and how, you ask it.
That was done for software compatibility reasons. It was originally going to be 10.16, but they changed it to 11 at the last minute so had to leave some references as 10.16 for softwares that had already been updated for that.
From what I've read Monterey was always going to be osx version 12.#, so software developers shouldn't be at the same risk of being caught unawares this time

52 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Thanks for that, it shows it's not a global issue but may be something specific to that user.

The issue with the Mac osx version is known about, Big Sur officially has two different version numbers (10.16 or 11.#) depending on where, and how, you ask it.
That was done for software compatibility reasons. It was originally going to be 10.16, but they changed it to 11 at the last minute so had to leave some references as 10.16 for softwares that had already been updated for that.
From what I've read Monterey was always going to be osx version 12.#, so software developers shouldn't be at the same risk of being caught unawares this time

Thanks for the info.  I'll pass it on to friends running CCleaner for Mac.  As mentioned above, I also have one of the new iMac desktops with the M1 chip.  I'm waiting for an updated version of CCleaner for Mac to come out before I decide whether to use it.  

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that w11 works without the tpm chip an "directx 33 + wddm 7" version. ;-)

At the moment ill stay with 8.1

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

On 08/10/2021 at 11:35, hazelnut said:

Perhaps they are starting to realise just how many users don't have the requirements.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-shares-windows-11-tpm-check-bypass-for-unsupported-pcs/

Also, perhaps they are starting to realize just how capable most linux distros are nowadays.

On this computer, in settings, I have a little note in the top right corner that says "This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11. . ."

Think for a moment about the hubris behind that statement.

In fact, windows 11 doesn't currently meet the requirements to run on this computer. Little bit of hubris there, too, I guess. :)

I suspect microsoft has gotten ahead of themselves (again) in believing that they have their most profitable clientele locked in.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Think of all the medical places that won't be using it such as computers in hospitals and dentist offices who's computers often run old OSes anyways. I know my dentist uses Win7 which isn't supported, and I've seen some doctors that are still rocking a WinXP system.

My laptop meets the requirements just barely on the CPU side whereas RAM and CPU cores is fine but I'm not that inclined to bother with Win11 anytime soon and it might be one, two, or more years, or on the death bed of Win10 when I'd switch but to be perfectly honest something more enticing is Linux Mint or Ubuntu Studio - that is if they work correct on the laptop which I don't currently know.

Well, yes to that.

Most folks don't think about who will be paying for all those upgrades. The customers will, of course.
Friend of mine with a very small medical office had to shell out $30,000.00 for new computers.

Several medical & business people I know have said that they cannot take a chance on running an unsupported OS.
Some plaintiff's lawyer would already have 2 strikes against them if they got hacked.

Another issue that most folks don't think about is why this new OS is necessary.
I have about a tenth the skills of most of the folks who post on forums, and I still run XP safely. Ran win 7 safely too, but the hardware failed.

So why is this successor to the last ever windows OS necessary?

I know, I know, this is all Captain Obvious stuff, but the core issues don't seem to get much air time.

End rant.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 6 months later...