CCleaner Community Forums

Microsoft Edge taking too long to clean?

• Moderators

What build of CCleaner, the latest one ? (5.710

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59246-ccleaner-v5717971/?tab=comments#comment-323561

Are you using Health Check or Custom Clean?

Does the same time issue happen if you clean Edge from within the Edge browser itself?

(Open Edge, 3 dots top right, select History )

• Moderators

is this new edge or legacy edge?

• Admin

To help us investigate further, can you please post the log file that is created when running CCleaner in debug mode, using the following steps?

1. Open the "Run" dialog in Windows (On the keyboard, hold/release the Windows (?name=Windows+Logo.png) and "R" keys simultaneously)
  2. Type: CCleaner.exe /debug > click OK
  3. When CCleaner opens, use Custom Clean to replicate the problem
  4. Close out of CCleaner

Afterwards, a log file will be generated in the C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder and it will be named in the format of "CCleaner_[version]_[date]_[time].log". Please attach this file.

Here's my log file.  I noticed that it's clearing a lot from Edge even though all i did was open and close it.  I also just noticed that it didn't seem to clear out Firefox, i mean, I was still logged into this website when I opened Firefox again, even though CCleaner is set to clear it.  I do have the Firefox options set so they don't clear cookies and history when closing, but i would think CCleaner should over-ride that?

CCleaner64_v5.72.7994_2020-09-23_20-35-49.log

Edited by markfleener
noticed new issue with Firefox so i ran the log again while also trying to clear Firefox.
  • Moderators

Would be interesting if you answered Nergal's question: is this new edge or legacy edge?

Legacy version = Originally installed with Win10.
New version (a Chrome/Chromium build) = Downloaded manually, or through the offer in the Start Menu/Tiles, or through Windows Updates.

The legacy version that originally installed with Win10 needed a workaround in CCleaner in order to be properly cleaned. Supposedly newer versions of CCleaner will prompt to allow it to enable the workaround. Even with the workaround enabled sometimes the legacy version causes CCleaner to take a long time to clean it and it doesn't matter how much performance your system has it's a bit of a wait. But wait there's more since Internet Explorer is also installed on the system sometimes it takes a long time to also clean it. Edit: Should also state it doesn't matter if you use those browsers or not, even if you never open them the system is using them in the background.

Edited by Andavari
  • Admin

Both of these log files show that it is taking an extended amount of time to clean the Legacy version of Edge, whereas the timestamps indicate that the Chromium version of Edge is being cleaned much more quickly. Specifically, I believe this is attributed to the following:

[20:36:16::792][INFO ] CreateJetEdgeManager: DllHost Cache running but not locking database - Counts=101
[20:36:16::792][INFO ] CreateJetEdgeManager: too many attempts (101) trying to unlock

This means that there was 101 failed attempts to unlock the ESE/JET Blue database (i.e. the spartan.edb file) -

CreateJetEdgeManager: Trying to unlock(C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb)

Furthermore, I saw the following error in both of the logs:

[07:49:51::297][DEBUG] Open database - Error: -1032C:\Users\[USERNAME]AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb for REV

I'll be investigating this but meanwhile, can you please see if the problem persists when running CCleaner with administrative privileges?

Simply right-click CCleaner > click "Run as Administrator".

• Moderators

Not sure if it's relevant but there is a known issue with legacy Edge causing a general slowdown of Windows on some systems following a recent KB update.

It's supposed to have been fixed by a further KB update, but ...

Microsoft's suggested solution is to download/install/use Edge Chromium.

6 hours ago, MeganCCleaner said:

Both of these log files show that it is taking an extended amount of time to clean the Legacy version of Edge, whereas the timestamps indicate that the Chromium version of Edge is being cleaned much more quickly. Specifically, I believe this is attributed to the following:

This means that there was 101 failed attempts to unlock the ESE/JET Blue database (i.e. the spartan.edb file) -

Furthermore, I saw the following error in both of the logs:

I'll be investigating this but meanwhile, can you please see if the problem persists when running CCleaner with administrative privileges?

Simply right-click CCleaner > click "Run as Administrator".

After "Run as Administrator" it made no difference at all.

• Admin

Would you be willing to disable the legacy version of Edge, using the following steps, to see if this would be a viable workaround?

1. Open the "Run" dialog in Windows (On the keyboard, hold/release the Windows (?name=Windows+Logo.png) and "R" keys simultaneously)
  2. Type: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ > click OK

3. Right-click on the folder named as "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe"

4. Click "Rename"

5. Type "LEGACY" at the end of the folder name (i.e. Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbweLEGACY) > click Enter

9 hours ago, MeganCCleaner said:

Would you be willing to disable the legacy version of Edge, using the following steps, to see if this would be a viable workaround?

2. Type: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ > click OK

3. Right-click on the folder named as "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe"

4. Click "Rename"

5. Type "LEGACY" at the end of the folder name (i.e. Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbweLEGACY) > click Enter

I tried disabling the "legacy version of Edge" as above.

I rebooted and tried again but still the same issue present.

Attached are new logs.

CCleaner64_v5.72.7994_2020-09-30_08-27-27.log

• Admin

Can you please follow the instructions below to see if this generates the same -1032 error we see in your logs and/or can you please attach a screenshot of the results?

• Right-click the Windows Start button > click Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  • Type and enter: 

esentutl /mh "C:\Users\REV\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb"

Additionally, can you please see if the CCleaner issue exists when using Windows in Safe Mode with Networking?

Instructions on how to boot into Safe Mode with Networking can be found here.

Error -1032 means "JET_errFileAccessDenied - The file cannot be accessed because the file is locked or in use" as described at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/extensible-storage-engine/extensible-storage-engine-error-codes