Microsoft Edge taking too long to clean?

markfleener

• Moderators

What build of CCleaner, the latest one ? (5.710

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59246-ccleaner-v5717971/?tab=comments#comment-323561

Are you using Health Check or Custom Clean?

Does the same time issue happen if you clean Edge from within the Edge browser itself?

(Open Edge, 3 dots top right, select History )

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

is this new edge or legacy edge?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Guest MeganCCleaner

To help us investigate further, can you please post the log file that is created when running CCleaner in debug mode, using the following steps?

1. Open the "Run" dialog in Windows (On the keyboard, hold/release the Windows (?name=Windows+Logo.png) and "R" keys simultaneously)
  2. Type: CCleaner.exe /debug > click OK
  3. When CCleaner opens, use Custom Clean to replicate the problem
  4. Close out of CCleaner

Afterwards, a log file will be generated in the C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder and it will be named in the format of "CCleaner_[version]_[date]_[time].log". Please attach this file.

I also have the same problem when I run a clean. Edge take a long time while the other browsers are ok.

When I run Ccleaner on my virtual machines its no problem.

The only difference I can see in the main system is that I do run RamCache. Could that be a problem in this case.

I have attached a log as per above.

CCleaner64_v5.72.7994_2020-09-24_07-49-21.log

Here's my log file.  I noticed that it's clearing a lot from Edge even though all i did was open and close it.  I also just noticed that it didn't seem to clear out Firefox, i mean, I was still logged into this website when I opened Firefox again, even though CCleaner is set to clear it.  I do have the Firefox options set so they don't clear cookies and history when closing, but i would think CCleaner should over-ride that?

CCleaner64_v5.72.7994_2020-09-23_20-35-49.log

Edited by markfleener
noticed new issue with Firefox so i ran the log again while also trying to clear Firefox.

• Moderators

Would be interesting if you answered Nergal's question: is this new edge or legacy edge?

Legacy version = Originally installed with Win10.
New version (a Chrome/Chromium build) = Downloaded manually, or through the offer in the Start Menu/Tiles, or through Windows Updates.

The legacy version that originally installed with Win10 needed a workaround in CCleaner in order to be properly cleaned. Supposedly newer versions of CCleaner will prompt to allow it to enable the workaround. Even with the workaround enabled sometimes the legacy version causes CCleaner to take a long time to clean it and it doesn't matter how much performance your system has it's a bit of a wait. But wait there's more since Internet Explorer is also installed on the system sometimes it takes a long time to also clean it. Edit: Should also state it doesn't matter if you use those browsers or not, even if you never open them the system is using them in the background.

Edited by Andavari

Guest MeganCCleaner

Both of these log files show that it is taking an extended amount of time to clean the Legacy version of Edge, whereas the timestamps indicate that the Chromium version of Edge is being cleaned much more quickly. Specifically, I believe this is attributed to the following:

[20:36:16::792][INFO ] CreateJetEdgeManager: DllHost Cache running but not locking database - Counts=101
[20:36:16::792][INFO ] CreateJetEdgeManager: too many attempts (101) trying to unlock

This means that there was 101 failed attempts to unlock the ESE/JET Blue database (i.e. the spartan.edb file) -

CreateJetEdgeManager: Trying to unlock(C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb)

Furthermore, I saw the following error in both of the logs:

[07:49:51::297][DEBUG] Open database - Error: -1032C:\Users\[USERNAME]AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb for REV

I'll be investigating this but meanwhile, can you please see if the problem persists when running CCleaner with administrative privileges?

Simply right-click CCleaner > click "Run as Administrator".

• Moderators

Not sure if it's relevant but there is a known issue with legacy Edge causing a general slowdown of Windows on some systems following a recent KB update.

It's supposed to have been fixed by a further KB update, but ...

Microsoft's suggested solution is to download/install/use Edge Chromium.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

6 hours ago, MeganCCleaner said:

Both of these log files show that it is taking an extended amount of time to clean the Legacy version of Edge, whereas the timestamps indicate that the Chromium version of Edge is being cleaned much more quickly. Specifically, I believe this is attributed to the following:

This means that there was 101 failed attempts to unlock the ESE/JET Blue database (i.e. the spartan.edb file) -

Furthermore, I saw the following error in both of the logs:

I'll be investigating this but meanwhile, can you please see if the problem persists when running CCleaner with administrative privileges?

Simply right-click CCleaner > click "Run as Administrator".

After "Run as Administrator" it made no difference at all.

Guest MeganCCleaner

Would you be willing to disable the legacy version of Edge, using the following steps, to see if this would be a viable workaround?

1. Open the "Run" dialog in Windows (On the keyboard, hold/release the Windows (?name=Windows+Logo.png) and "R" keys simultaneously)
  2. Type: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ > click OK

3. Right-click on the folder named as "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe"

4. Click "Rename"

5. Type "LEGACY" at the end of the folder name (i.e. Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbweLEGACY) > click Enter

9 hours ago, MeganCCleaner said:

Would you be willing to disable the legacy version of Edge, using the following steps, to see if this would be a viable workaround?

2. Type: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ > click OK

3. Right-click on the folder named as "Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe"

4. Click "Rename"

5. Type "LEGACY" at the end of the folder name (i.e. Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbweLEGACY) > click Enter

I tried disabling the "legacy version of Edge" as above.

I rebooted and tried again but still the same issue present.

Attached are new logs.

CCleaner64_v5.72.7994_2020-09-30_08-27-27.log

Guest MeganCCleaner

Can you please follow the instructions below to see if this generates the same -1032 error we see in your logs and/or can you please attach a screenshot of the results?

• Right-click the Windows Start button > click Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  • Type and enter: 

esentutl /mh "C:\Users\REV\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb"

Additionally, can you please see if the CCleaner issue exists when using Windows in Safe Mode with Networking?

Instructions on how to boot into Safe Mode with Networking can be found here.

Error -1032 means "JET_errFileAccessDenied - The file cannot be accessed because the file is locked or in use" as described at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/extensible-storage-engine/extensible-storage-engine-error-codes

6 hours ago, MeganCCleaner said:

Can you please follow the instructions below to see if this generates the same -1032 error we see in your logs and/or can you please attach a screenshot of the results?

• Right-click the Windows Start button > click Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  • Type and enter: 

Additionally, can you please see if the CCleaner issue exists when using Windows in Safe Mode with Networking?

Instructions on how to boot into Safe Mode with Networking can be found here.

Error -1032 means "JET_errFileAccessDenied - The file cannot be accessed because the file is locked or in use" as described at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/extensible-storage-engine/extensible-storage-engine-error-codes

1. In relation to running the command line in PowerShell (Admin) I get the following output.

Extensible Storage Engine Utilities for Microsoft(R) Windows(R)
Version 10.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Initiating FILE DUMP mode...
Error: Access to source database 'C:\Users\REV\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb' failed with Jet error -1811.

Operation terminated with error -1811 (JET_errFileNotFound, File not found) after 0.0 seconds.

2. I also tried CCleaner when using Windows in Safe Mode with Networking to see if the problem still exists and it worked fine.

I have attached the log file from "Safe Mode"

CCleaner64_v5.72.7994_2020-10-01_07-55-57.log

Guest johnccleaner

Hi,

Thanks for providing us with the information your testing revealed. 

So, what you found in PowerShell is that the spartan.edb file is not accessible even to other software (as the esentutl program is part of Windows, not a part of CCleaner or other products you may have installed).

This suggests one of a couple of things; 

• Something could be blocking access to this file (security software, perhaps? an app using legacy Edge's components and not releasing them?)
  • The file could be damaged and not able to be read

I see we're still getting the -1032 error when you ran CCleaner in Safe Mode, based on the log you sent along. 

That seems to imply the latter possibility as being, at the least, much more likely - since the point of Safe Mode is to have as few processes (programs, apps, etc) running as possible, which would, among other things, reduce the chances of anything trying to use Microsoft Edge's database or components.

It's possible that running 

esentutl /R "C:\Users\REV\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb"

may unlock the database so that it can be accessed by other software, such as 

If that still does not take care of the issue, you might want to use Windows' SFC and DISM tools, as listed in this article: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image 

After that, it may be necessary to get in contact with Microsoft directly on this matter, as this may be getting beyond options available to the user (short of reformatting and reinstalling Windows, anyway). 

Hi,

I went and tried both process you mentioned:

1. Running the command the below command which failed -

esentutl /R "C:\Users\REV\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb"

2. I also went down the path for - Windows' SFC and DISM tools, as listed in this article: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

I did have some repair that did occur but still the same problem presented after completing the full procedure.

That being said I reviewed the CCleaner logs and made a couple of notes.
I do have Edge Chromium and Edge Chromium Beta but no longer have an active version of the core Legacy Edge 44 except for the C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe which has been renamed.

In CCleaner I still have "Microsoft Edge" and "Edge Chromium" able to be selected.

However, when I go to the logs, I see CCleaner looking for the path:

CreateJetEdgeManager: Trying to unlock(C:\Users\REV\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb)

However, that doesn’t full exist.

C:\Users\REV\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\ (exists)

- \nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb (does not exist)

If it is looking for this path and it doesn’t fully exist should it be looking for something different.

The only folders available within default are:

- BrowserImport
- Favorites
- ImageStore
- RACShare
- Recovery
- TemporaryFiles

Hoping that might make a difference.

When I exclude the check boxes for Microsoft Edge Legacy - CCleaner is super-fast, but wondering what Cleaner looks for to determine there is an active browser?

Guest johnccleaner

That's very curious. I've got the Chromium build of the software as well, however, I still have the \nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb file and structure - it's not even a hidden file or anything like that (as I had thought might have been the case).

Went and checked on all the other computers that I've got and they also all have the spartan.edb file, right where it's looking. Also checked with some of my coworkers and they're seeing it right where it belongs as well, so I'm inclined to believe that it is supposed to be at that location, anyway. 

It also seems odd that it would be giving the sorts of errors that you're describing if the file wasn't there at all - you'd think it would list a 'file not found' error instead saying it can't unlock the file. 

In regards to looking for Microsoft Edge (non-Chromium) specifically, I believe the Rule is simply to look for if the computer is Windows 10, as these files are supposed to be present on all Windows 10 computers. 

If the spartan.edb file is legitimately not present on your computer, though, I can't think of much harm in unchecking the Microsoft Edge Legacy Cleaning Rules, since that's the main file that they work with. I'm just curious if not having that file would cause problems with other apps (mostly Microsoft Store ones) that would be expecting to use components of Edge Legacy, or if Microsoft was slick enough to 'redirect' those to Edge Chromium.