corrupt "intelligent" cookie scanning

update

Last time I've installed CCleaner on a new system, I saw that CCleaner protects Cookies from *.piriform.com. So can somebody tell me the reason, why teh Cookies from Piriform shouldn't be deleted?

It would be fair if Piriform cleans it's own cookies. That's what I expect if I run CCleaner. I would be glad, if Piriform would offer a list with criterions to clean or not clean Cookies and they have to accept it themselves.

My English is not verry good, but I hope I can help. =)

• Moderators

Ccleaner does not, afaik, by default keep any cookie by default, it is more likely that you accidentally sent it to the cookies to keep column.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Your topic header says you ran the "Intelligent" cookie scan".

The object of that scan is to automatically find for you the cookies which may contain login data for sites, place them in the "cookies to keep" column, and for you to then decide which you would want to keep, or not.

That scan isn't actually deliberately protecting any cookie, and on a new installation where I assume the potential user is yet to have accessed any sites, then CCleaner is probably struggling to give an accurate response to the requested "Intelligent Scan".

Just my opinion, but under those circumstances I don't see it as a bad thing that CCleaner assumes that it's own cookie may be needed. It is used for the storing of site data.

On a new install, I don't understand why you are running "Intelligent Scan", unless you are reading that feature to be one that selects cookies to delete, which it doesn't.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-settings/choosing-which-cookies-to-keep

Hope that helps.

:)

In my experience the cookies that are kept after the "intelligent cookie scan" can only be removed by a new Windows installation.

I will never ever give permission for such a scan anymore.

• Moderators

In my experience the cookies that are kept after the "intelligent cookie scan" can only be removed by a new Windows installation.

I will never ever give permission for such a scan anymore.

It's very easy to remove them, CCleaner even goes as far as giving you two options to remove them:

1. Either via the button: <-

2. Or via right-clicking a cookie.

Screenshot (click to enlarge):

88b67f7d15a2.png

• Moderators

Yes, contrary to what Léon stated, intelligent cookie scan is not irreversible.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Leon, with respect no one got the chance to pursue that topic and try find a solution as a couple of days after hazel responded to your question you did a reinstall of Windows.

And I have to say that there isn't any real evidence that the Intelligent Scan actually caused the cookies to be difficult to remove. It simply scanned and displayed cookies on your machine which were deposited by your browsers. CCleaners inability to remove them could have been caused by something completely beyond it's control.

And please don't take this as me simply trying to defend the Intelligent Scan. I have no affiliation with Piriform, and if I believed it to be corrupt or preventing cookies from being deleted I would be the first to say so, but every now and again on here we see cookie removal problems popping up and it can be difficult to pin down why.

Your memory is worse than mine - you previously said that you needed the new installation to fix OTHER problems.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Because of some other computer-problems I completely re-installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

@update and @Leon: 

I would be interested to learn how this issue resolves, if you have time to post back. 

Thanks. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

OK, what I just wanted to say is this: I was seduced to do the "intelligent cookie scan". After that I had a lot of cookies that refused to go away.

I searched and searched on the internet and discovered that more people had problems after the "intelligent cookie scan". Because I could not find a solution I posted it on this forum. After 4 days or so, nobody came up with a solution.

Accidentally, I had to do a new Windows installation after experimenting with a Windows repair tweaking tool. The new Windows installation had nothing to do with the unremovable cookies. But in my conclusion that was the only way to get rid of the cookies and I will never do the "intelligent cookie scan" again.

My memory is is in good order, but life is full of misunderstandings, I know.

Thanks, Leon. 

I asked because I never have cookies anyway . . . oddball setup here . . . and just wondered if CCleaner was actually working as advertised. 

wonder if update worked it out?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.