CCleaner index.dat files

michaelsmith664

Hello,I mostly use google chrome to surf the internet and I was looking to completly remove all traces of my browsing history to make it completly irrecovrable by anyone. I was wondering if ccleaner can do this because I read on some online forums that it does not delete all the hidden index.dat files and other temporary internet files and leaves some of the files behind and this worries me.May you please reply quickly this is very important

• Moderators

what does index.dat (the title of the question) to do with chrome? as far as i know only internet explorer using index.dat files

you need to switch to the second tab and make sure chrome has it's checmarks

post-21882-0-89909800-1362986519_thumb.png

(note you may not want all of the items i have checked to be checked (and some items come from the community winapp2 file

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I thought Google chrome stored hidden browsing history files just like IE did and I couldn't delete it because it was a locked system file, I called them index.dat files because I didnt know what Google chrome called them. Anyway I heard that windows stores a hidden database of all the webpages you've ever visited and this cant be deleted normally because its a locked system file and runs all the time. Some websites said ccleaner erases the contents of the hidden file on reboot while others said it does not delete the contents of all the browsing history files on the computer.

I have another question.I found a .DAT file in C:/Users/[user]/Appdata/local/microsoft/Windows entititled "UsrClass.dat".It hasnt changed in size since I last ran ccleaner and I'm a little worried that its contents can be recovered.I cant view its contents with a index.dat cleaner nor can I delete it using standard windows deletion methods(it says it cant be deleted because the file is open in system) Can you tell me whether the contents of the file are deleted or gibberish. Also I'm running windows 7

• Moderators

I have another question.I found a .DAT file in C:/Users/[user]/Appdata/local/microsoft/Windows entititled "UsrClass.dat"

That's part of the Windows Registry. I'd recommend leaving it alone unless you wish to reinstall Windows!

thanks,alse did you find the Usrclass.dat file I was talking about

It's fine to ask questions, but it is not Hazelnut's or anyone else responsibility to find out what a particular file is for on your computer especially when the info is widely available in a search engine.

Edited by Andavari

ok,I wasnt saying it was their responsibility nor did I expect them to do the research for me.I just wanted to see if they knew the answer to my question so I could get the important information I needed without having to read several pages of garbage before I got what I needed