Smileys

grits2

I tried to copy/paste my question about this from an earlier post but couldn't complete the operation sooo, in my post at The Lounge, titled Am I getting senile?, post #4, 4/15/12, am repeating here:

How does one know just what the Smiley means? I'd hate to insert one thinking that it's just a type of a 'happy smile', then find out that it really meant 'smart@$$" or something similar.

Sorry to be a pest like this but I really don't know. Oh, and I promise that I won't overload my posts with them.

Thanx,

grits

• Moderators

I'd hate to insert one thinking that it's just a type of a 'happy smile', then find out that it really meant 'smart@$$" or something similar.

That'd be a first, a smart--- emoticon. :lol:

However there aren't any emoticons on here to elude such a feeling. Most of them are self-explanatory, for the others just read the emotion you see in the image as if it were a human face to determine if it's proper.

• Moderators

Hi grits.

I usually add a smiley if I'm replying to a new poster as it confers the spirit in which the help is given, which I hope will make a first time poster feel welcome.

By gum, that sounds good, I impress myself sometimes. :lol:

And I laugh at my own comments ... in case I'm the only one. :(

You'll get the idea as you go along, and we'll promise to keep you right.

That's why I was wondering, 'cuz I remember one time was gonna download from a site I kept seeing until I did some research & found it to be baadd. But "thanx" will just have to 'let my fingers do the walking', carefully tho'.

• Moderators

Here's a couple of sites I've used a few times, which get a full house of "green circles" from WOT (Web Of Trust).

You'll get the usual cookies you get from most other places, but as far as I can tell, they're OK sites and simple to use. I always download a couple of the gifs off these sites and scan them with a couple of programs before I use them.

post-8751-0-36012000-1355266762_thumb.jpg

Click the smiley, and then click once in the box, it turns blue, and the code is copied automatically to your clipboard. Then paste straight into your post. If you "preview post", you should see the smiley.

http://yoursmiles.org/t-nysanta.php

This one is slightly different ...

post-8751-0-07263400-1355267218_thumb.jpg

You would right click in the box and select "copy". Then paste into your post ...

www_MyEmoticons_com__fishing.gif

http://www.pic4ever.com/index.php

Just a couple of ideas, and you might get some other suggestions from the other guys, but you do right to leave a site alone if you're not sure.