I'm confused about rules

grits2

I was looking for some sort of help 'cuz when I posted my earlier one concerning Event Viewer, I clicked on 'Preview' to make sure it was correct but then couldn't get back to it to click 'Post' so had to start over. Anyway . . . . I read something that's 'pinned' about posting images & read something about a 'limit on posting images' but can't find what the limit is. Or on the other hand, I was blonde before all the gray showed up :D & may have mis-understood what I read?

I have to upload images quite often to get my point across. So . . . is there a limit?

Thanx.

If you reached your limit, you can delete some of your oldest images before uploading new ones.

I don't use the forum uploader, preferring instead to have my images hosted thru imgur. There is no limit, and you don't have to register.

Drag your image to http://imgur.com/, upload and copy the BBC code into your post.

I've had no difficulty previewing and editing my forum posts.

Limit is based on size, not number of pics. Ideas to increase number of pics you can post:

_____

1) Use .JPG -> Other formats, such as .BMP/.PNG can be far larger than you need.

2) Use black & white when possible -> This will reduce picture size.

3) Use fewer colors. 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 16, 256, etc. Fewer colors take less space, decreasing pic size.

4) Use lower resolution when possible -> 800 by 600 pic takes far less space than 1600 by 1200. And 640 by 480 is even smaller.

5) Use lower quality when possible -> Some picture resizers & editors offer capability to reduce quality of pics. This reduces size of pics.

6) Use drawings instead of photos -> Less information to display, so pics are much smaller.

7) Links instead of picture attachments -> Upload to picture site, then link it here.

_____

Use some of these ideas, & watch your picture count capability increase!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I came here about an hour ago to post but ended up reading kroozer's 'test', then several links from it & am now on 'overload' :lol: . Sooo, yes, somehow I managed to figure out how to reduce the size of my shots using FastStoneCapture v 5.3 which I love 'cuz it's simple for someone that's 'simple minded' :( .

I have however discovered a problem with it but don't know if it's due to Windows 7 or what? It worked fine all the while I had XP. Have been on Windows 7 since mid February. The problem is that it won't capture Scrolling Screen. Are there any users of FSC 5.3 out there using W7 that can help me??

Thank you,

grits

I've used it on Vista, but Win7 is not included in system requirements.

Try this: while the screen is rolling tap the Print Screen key. Open Paint, paste.

Then use FastStone to capture that Paint image (or you could simply use Paint to crop, edit and save your image).

What's puzzling is that FastStone works perfect for all other captures, all the stills. Guess I'm gonna have to learn how to use Paint. I assume it captures scrolling window?

• 2 weeks later...

What's puzzling is that FastStone works perfect for all other captures, all the stills. Guess I'm gonna have to learn how to use Paint. I assume it captures scrolling window?

I know of a program that captures a window that scrolls off the screen.

But Nergal stated earlier that it is bad form for someone who is not a mod to recommend, so I decided against posting.

Do hope you get it sorted out. :)

• Moderators

But Nergal stated earlier that it is bad form for someone who is not a mod to recommend, so I decided against posting.

To clarify this unwritten forum rule (should be a written forum rule by the way). The only recommendations we mods were told not to allow were those of products competing against or similar to a Piriform product.

Do hope you get it sorted out. :)

Sounds like you got an 'ok', Super Fast, so whatcha got to recommend?

• Moderators

Yea, lets here it SF.

Piriform don't make anything like that so as Andavari says, you're fine with this one.

Interesting about FastStone not doing the scrolling thing with Win7. That's a cool feature, so it's a real shame.

-> http://www.websitescreenshots.com/

Scroll to the bottom of the page, & look at sample webpage captures.

As always, be careful with the options when installing, because a lot of freeware programs come bundled with helpful adware.

Use custom (if available) during installation, & watch your options. And I believe you can avoid installing the toolbar/adware.

Let me know whatcha think!

• Moderators

Have you downloaded and installed this yourself recently SF?

And I believe you can avoid installing the toolbar/adware.

You need to be positive before recommending something. I would look at it myself, but I can't open that link with either Opera or Firefox.

Just being cautious for grits.

:)

No offense, Super, but I wouldn't try it.

It looks too complicated for a simple soul like me.

Freeware version is very limited. Paid version is $55, $110 for the server version. Too much for me for infrequent use. In the FAQ it says this:

"Does it support multiple browsers such as Firefox, Chrome or Safari?

- It only supports Internet Explorer's rendering engine."

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Thanks for the extra support, Dennis & login. Guess I'l just have to do some searching on my own. I am looking for 'freeware', hate to be a 'cheapskate' but am on limited monthly income.

You need to be positive before recommending something. I would look at it myself, but I can't open that link with either Opera or Firefox.

I just downloaded it with my Firefox Browser. Not sure why yours won't download.

I chose Custom & unchecked the 3 offers, then it installed normally.

I copied & pasted Yahoo to the source url box, then clicked the link box beside it to add it, then hit start & it generated an image of the entire yahoo page.

Worked for me! Not sure why it is so complicated to simply copy & paste the url you want into it, then click the link button (beside import) & click start.

So far as features, they do have more for the paid, but I don't use the command-line anyway for that.

Basic webpage screenshots seem to be free (works for me!).

Edit: You sure your not using something that may block it (ad blocker/link checker/etc.)?

• Moderators

So at last I can have a look at SF's program, and it does do a decent job of capturing a full size web page ...

post-8751-0-82957100-1356283420_thumb.jpg

There aren't too many free options out there which can capture a "scrolled" page, and even then some of them don't do a very good job at all.

The negative is that it's a large install, 40mb, when grits only needs the one feature that FastStoneCapture can't do with Win7.

I would add that there wasn't anything at all during the install in way of extra's to be avoided.