Is There A Means Or A Way To Set The Method Of Naming A File Or Folder In A Sequential Manner...? Please Read...

montecarlo1987

Hello. I have a question to ask you.

Is there a means or a way to set the method of naming a file or folder in a sequential manner (an suffix extension to the filename like “1”, “2”, “3”, etc.; or “A”, “B”, “C”, etc. .; or a user's own defined orderly sequence) when a user has copied or moved of a file or folder to a folder where the same file or folder name already resides or exists?

I am also hoping for the means for the user to ACTIVELY SET OR SELECT (‘customize’) the sequential manner of an extension to the file name and then ‘set it and forget it’ so NO query is raised (in the form of some GUI [Graphic User Interface] window to appear) during the process of moving or copying the file or folder to a folder where the same file or folder name already resides?

I am not sure if there is some third party program, application, or software to install that performs like what I am asking above; or if there is some system registry or system directory modification or change that allows for this (I would think that it has connections with Windows Explorer is some manner.)?

Please provide your own detailed written steps, facts, suggestions, hints, and tips; and/or the best possible well written, detailed and documented website links.

NOTE: For your information, I am using Windows 7 64-bit operating system which would be implicated with this issue.

Please reply.

Thank you!

• Moderators

In XP and I assume newer versions of Windows you can multi-select files and folders to rename them in mass in a numbered fashion.

I personally don't like the formatting it uses, however it's possible to do in mass so as to not be some lengthy tedious task.

You can practice in a temporary working folder to see how it works before messing with valid files and folders of your important stuff.

@ Andavari:

Hello. Nice to see you again. Thank you for your comment.

After reading your comment, I see I may of misconstrued my methodological instruction which after re-reading my initial post, I understand your perspective and I was not clear enough. Sorry about that! I see you suggestion regarding 'mass' renaming of files and folders and I see your inference where I would have a 'group of files and/or folders already' to rename.

What I am asking is when I add (key words) *one-by-one* (either a file or another folder) to a folder, it would assign a new file name extension?

Also I see you indicate you are not familiar with Windows 7's features and functions. I understand that. I do appreciate your help!

Again, thank you!

it would assign a new file name extension?

A new extension is a nono - Windows will not play ball if you change the extension which follows the last '.' period and is typically 3 characters.

A suffix to the name that precedes the '.' period is valid.

Incidentally, your initial request amused me, i.e.

Please provide your own detailed written steps, facts, suggestions, hints, and tips; and/or the best possible well written, detailed and documented website links.

It sounds like a homework assignment :rolleyes:

I am not sure, but I believe he is referring to adding an extension to the filename, a sequential numbering system.

I could be wrong however, but I do not believe he means the file name extension being changed, but only the addition of a numbering suffix after the file name.

@ Super Fast & Alan_B:

Hello. Nice to meet you both. I do not believe we have meet before.

Thank you both for your comments.

Yes, Super Fast, you are correct when I mean an 'extension to the filename'. Yes, not the 'file type' beyond the dot/period as Alan_B alludes too. I am sorry to confuse you Alan_B. Now, I seems I caught Super Fast in the similar trap that Andavari was previously in. I must be still confusing people. Again, I apologize. I thought my last comment above may of clarified that, but I see it must be still confusing to understand. Let me explain the best way I can in a different way and I will explain in it a simpler means...

Say I already have a folder named "vacation" without the quotes for simplicity that is residing on my desktop. Now INSIDE this folder "vacation" on my desktop, I have a file named "image" without the quotes. Also, I have on my desktop another file named "image" without the quotes. Now, what I want to do is to is place the "image file inside the "vacation" folder. There already is one file with the same file name "image" inside. If I drag and drop it into the "vacation" folder, Windows will alert me that a file with the same name is inside, and it does proceed AT TIMES (NOT ALL THE TIME) a series of windows with options leading up of whether or not I want to keep both files. When i select that I do want to keep both files, it will move the "image" file into the "vacation" folder and rename it according to my example as "image (2)" without the quotes. It adds the " (2)" extension to the file name with a space before the first parenthesis. Now if have another name of "image" file I have created say resting on my desktop, and I want to place it again in the "vacation" folder. I may get a same series of Windows asking if I want to keep both files when I attempt to place the "image" file in the "vacation" folder. If I do get the same series of Windows again and proceed, the "image" file will now be renamed "image (3)". So yes, Windows DOES HAVE a file "a numbering suffix after the file name". However, as I said, this is not always consistent. SO....

Question 1:

I am looking for another program that does this for me (WITHOUT the trouble of using a 'mass renaming' file system) as I add a file (or even a folder) that already has the same file name (or folder name) in the folder and keep adding new files or folders that already have the same file name or folder name ONE AT A TIME, besides Windows built-in feature which is not always reliable?

Question 2:

Where in the Windows 7 system (like the system registries and/or the system directories) can I modify or change the Windows 7 built-in file "numbering suffix after the file name" to a systemic sequential numbering system style I want like " - 2", " - 3", etc. instead of the Windows 7 default " (2)", " (3)", etc.?

I hope I have made this more sensible and understandable for you.

Please reply.

Thank you!

Actually I was not so much confused as uncertain :unsure:

I like to ensure full understanding.

Personally I have never noticed any variation in the way that Windows will rename by default.

I much prefer -2 or _2 instead of Windows (2), but I think we have little choice because :-

The name patch is probably determined by code within something like Explorer.exe,

and Windows File Protection will grab you by the throat if you tweak that.

If you did achieve a change and it affected automatic system file revisions you might break vital background services.

Also please note that if Windows is inconsistent with the existing (2) it would probably not be improved by a change to -2.

I suggest you either have to right click the file and rename it after you have dropped it to its new home,

or possibly look for a tool that will add to you right-click context menu a new tool option,

and when you select the file to be moved you right click and launch the tool which then asks for the destination,

and it then drops the file to the destination and suitably renames.

• Moderators

Also please note that if Windows is inconsistent with the existing (2) it would probably not be improved by a change to -2.

Frankly Windows does it rather poorly and with no way for the user to change to something more preferred, which is why I never bother with it!

I don't in particular know of any software to achieve the goal, you may even have to code such a program yourself or ask some developer for help in doing that.

I hope I have made this more sensible and understandable for you.

Please reply.

Thank you!

You actually haven't. You want a way to change extention names. That isn't possible. But feel free to destroy your computer at your own expense.

• Moderators
Yes, Super Fast, you are correct when I mean an 'extension to the filename'. Yes, not the 'file type' beyond the dot/period as Alan_B alludes to.

The original post confused me too, but that seems reasonably clear, Corona. I've never had the need or desire to do this so I don't have the solution.

@ Alan_B:

Hello again. Thank you for your recent comment!

Yes, it is 'possible' Windows Explorer 'may' have a 'lock' on this naming scheme I wish to change as part of Windows. Yet, I know many Windows functions and features can be suprisingly tweaked as well without impacting Windows File Protection feature. I just do not know?!?!?!?

@ Andavari:

Hello again. Thank you for your recent comment!

Yes, I appreciate your honesty and sincerity with the Windows perspective and a third party program controlling impossibility. Yes, I think I may need to seek "some developer".

@ MikeW:

Hello again. Nice to meet you! Thank you for your recent comment.

Your weblink has some pretty nice programs that are very nice I am going to look more into. I think you are alluding to ReNamer program on that weblink. This program and a few others will definitely be part of my program collection! Thank you! However, again, this program is a file or folder renaming program *AFTER* you put the file or folder into a folder for bulk file or folder renaming. Of course, WHEN placing a file or folder in a folder that already has the same file or folder name will trigger an issue with copying or moving it to that folder. So even though this is a GREAT program that I will keep to use, it does not address my issue.

I do think Andavari's second to last comment is the true answer and solution to my issue. I do see now that Alan_B and Andavari DO understand my issue.

I do appreciate your dedication and help however! Thank you!

...and thank you all!!!

Yes, I appreciate your honesty and sincerity with the Windows perspective and a third party program controlling impossibility. Yes, I think I may need to seek "some developer".

There be coders here :-

http://www.donationcoder.com/

http://www.donationc...forum/index.php

They like a challenge, and they may do it for free or a donation.

I have used one or two of their products.