Updating Flash?

What is the correct procedure to updating Flash? Is it OK to simply install the new version over the existing one or should I uninstall the current one and then install the new one? Apparently the latter approach is better but was applicable for much older versions. With the frequent updates to Flash, uninstalling, restarting, installing is starting to get on my nerves.

• Moderators

There are many posts such as yours across the internet. The flash updates seem to come thick and fast don't they.

Everyone seems to do it slightly different. All I can do is tell you how I do it (and I have no problems) other posters will have different ways I am sure :)

I go to Filehippo flash download page and download the IE version and the non IE version to my desktop or downloads folder (I also use Opera) The none IE version is just a bit lower down the page.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

Then I remove the installed flash versions using add/remove programs on XP, or Programs and features on Win 7.

Then I install new versions.

The only thing in Flash's favor is the uninstall and install are so fast.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hazelnut has her way, and I also have a slightly different way:

1. Download the Adobe Flash Uninstaller - you'll need the newest version everytime Flash is updated.

2. Download the Adobe Flash Player Installer(s) from FileHippo.com, or from the official Adobe Flash Player website.

3. Run the Adobe Flash Uninstaller.

4. Restart Windows. For some reason this can help the Internet Explorer ActiveX version.

5. Install Adobe Flash Player.

6. Restart Windows. For some reason this can help the Internet Explorer ActiveX version.

7. Open your web browser(s) and go to the Adobe Flash Player Test Installation website to make certain it's installed correctly.

I never had a problem with flash updates.

Although you can download the flash updates from filehippo & install them without problems most of the time, let me tell you a story.

Back when firefox was young, & I was knee high to a grasshopper, I used to simply run firefox updater.

This worked for a while, but after several kinda major version changes, things began to go awry.

A missing toolbar button (where one should have been), & one button overlapping another (incomplete button) along with a few strange behaviors.

Firefox would still work, oh yes! Just with strange things happening from time to time.

So from then on, I got where every now & then, I will just uninstall the old version of firefox (being sure to leave the user data in %appdata% folder) & update to the new one. Works much better.

Flash? Security? Holes? I am not sure I trust just installing on top of it. You can safely uninstall both of them using CCleaner uninstaller, then install both of them again (being sure Internet Explorer & Firefox are both closed while you do it).

For the most part, I don't think you have to worry about rebooting after the updates, although there may be a few people running apps that attach a flash container in use to memory somewhere (thence the need for reboot)...

Hope this helps!

Remember that Flash now puts itself in your control panel. You can do settings from there, and also if you click on the advanced tab it will tell you what version you have installed.

Hazel, I don't know if your interested or not, but if you hate all those extra programs in the control panel, you can navigate to your system32 folder & group the files by type. Look for the ones with the .CPL extension. You should be able to easily see what they do by the name they carry, but if you want to be for sure & don't know a lot about them, you can try them by clicking them to open. When you find the right one, delete it.

Open your control panel, that CPL entry will now be gone.

• Moderators

Hazel, I don't know if your interested or not, but if you hate all those extra programs in the control panel, you can navigate to your system32 folder & group the files by type. Look for the ones with the .CPL extension. You should be able to easily see what they do by the name they carry, but if you want to be for sure & don't know a lot about them, you can try them by clicking them to open. When you find the right one, delete it.

Open your control panel, that CPL entry will now be gone.

I cannot think of a single reason why I would want to delete entries from my control panel (and please don't suggest any :))

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Your funny, Hazel. I like your humor. :P

Ok, you might not, but I did it because I just wanted to see what I can do. Hey, I am nosey. I like breaking things so I can fix it. How else can you learn?

Plus, when you test thousands of apps, the CPL entries cascade in ever increasingly long scrolling control panel items. De-simplifies finding things!

Hahaha!

B)

If I may, I request that this thread be locked, since I feel the user's question has been more than thoroughly answered. I feel there would be no further need of replies to this thread.

Thread may be re-opened per user request. Thank you!

• Moderators

If I may, I request that this thread be locked, since I feel the user's question has been more than thoroughly answered. I feel there would be no further need of replies to this thread.

Thread may be re-opened per user request. Thank you!

That usually will only happen if the original poster requests it, or if it gets really old and someone pulls a thread resurrection. For now, it's a no.:P

• Moderators

I may request this thread be dipped in chocolate. :)

request granted.

back on subject.

flash will overwrite itself (plugin & ax version) so long as your browser (& sometimes certain gadgets or side bar items or ie rendered programs) are closed else it will leave the old versions.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com