Firefox Extensions REBOOTED

rridgely

Firefox Share:

A replacement for Mozilla F1, apparently it is an addon version of a future firefox feature (like many other Mozilla Labs projects, such as Personas)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/firefox-share-alpha/

PDF.js:

Another future feature for firefox, HTML5 PDF viewer.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pdfjs/?src=search

Oneliner:

Puts the tabs and the URL bar on the same line. I like it a lot, your milage may vary.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-oneLiner/

• Moderators

Some cool extensions for Opera now, which anyone can post about here, as it was decided a little while back not to start a separate Opera extensions thread.

YouTube Downloader:

Download any video as 240p*(FLV), 360p*(FLV,MP4,WebM), 480p*(FLV), 720p*(MP4,WebM), 1080p*(MP4) and Original*(MP4).

Ghostery:

Ghostery sees the "invisible" web, detecting trackers, web bugs, pixels, and beacons placed on web pages by Facebook, Google Analytics, and over 400 other ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers - all companies interested in your activity.

Translator:

Translate typed text, selected text, the active page.

This extension uses Google Translate, Bing Translator, Promt Translator(Yandex), Pragma Translator or Babylon Dictionaries (optional).

I've been using these three for some time, and so far, I can't fault any of them.

Edited by DennisD
Moved from the "Which Browser" thread.

• Moderators

I'm using Opera at the moment and it's smooth operating. I had found Ghostery as well DennisD. It can also use Dr.Web LinkChecker (now without having to manually edit any settings files), and WOT. The Opera Internal Pages extension is also rather nice. And since I'm using the Fanboy Opera Adblock I'm not missing Firefox at all at the moment.

Edit:

For a "YouTube Downloader" there's VSO Downloader, I've been using it for months and it works in any browser!

Some cool extensions for Opera now...

+1, will soon be Opera for my main browser.

Probably will just keep ie8 as is, for windows updates.

Thank you for the updated info.

Edit: The VSO downloader is on the list of banned software here at the "Downloadaholics Clinic".

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

The new Opera 12.01 version released yesterday is even faster on my machine than the last version was.

Is there any adblock style plugin for Opera? I hate to use anything that doesn't block ads... I figured ud know since you use it a lot.

Interesting... XP/Vista/7 all use the Opera application data folder to store the files in.

XP uses C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Opera while Vista/7 use C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Opera

Do you suppose I could automate the process by downloading the files & using WinRar SFX maker to automatically extract them to %AppData%\Opera?

Using the relative path means it will automatically locate the current users application data folder & drop it into it in XP/Vista/7.

This would be easier than trying to compile a script to make it detect whether it is using the documents and settings path of XP, or users path of Vista & 7.

Using a relative path extractor means that it would automatically be extracted to the right location across XP/Vista/7.

Hmmmmm... What do you think?

• Moderators

Interesting... XP/Vista/7 all use the Opera application data folder to store the files in.

Hmmmmm... What do you think?

I'm not sure how relevant this would be to your idea, but bear in mind that Opera uses the %LocalAppData% folder for some important user files, such as the bookmark favicons, speed dial thumbnails and extensions (the last stored in the "Widgets" folder).

Least ways I class them as important user files, and always back up the "Icons" and "Thumbnails" folders. They have been screwed up before. Once by an updated CCleaner.

Maybe your script couldn't cover both %AppData% and %LocalAppData%, and maybe I'm talking out of the top of my head and it would be easy peasy for you to do that. :)

• Moderators

+1, will soon be Opera for my main browser.

Probably will just keep ie8 as is, for windows updates.

Thank you for the updated info.

Edit: The VSO downloader is on the list of banned software here at the Clinic.

You should come to my clinic. As I mentioned in another thread, it's brilliant. We spend the entire time exchanging links.

• Moderators

The Opera Internal Pages extension is also rather nice.

added to my portable thanks

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

You should come to my clinic. As I mentioned in another thread, it's brilliant. We spend the entire time exchanging links.

I saw that. :lol: You would never get away with it here at the PiriformClinic. The moderators are quite strict. First offense and they revoke your shuffleboard privileges. Its for our own good. <_<

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

I'm not sure how relevant this would be to your idea, but bear in mind that Opera uses the %LocalAppData% folder for some important user files, such as the bookmark favicons, speed dial thumbnails and extensions (the last stored in the "Widgets" folder).

Least ways I class them as important user files, and always back up the "Icons" and "Thumbnails" folders. They have been screwed up before. Once by an updated CCleaner.

Maybe your script couldn't cover both %AppData% and %LocalAppData%, and maybe I'm talking out of the top of my head and it would be easy peasy for you to do that. :)

Sounds complicated! So far as messing with other files, this will only import the .ini responsible for ad blocking & not touch any other files.

If worse comes to worst in testing, I can always eliminate XP from my final output as I use 7 a lot since I got the XP image viewer working in it so I can view my animated .GIF & smoothly enlarge pics without (much) graininess.

• Moderators

Is there any adblock style plugin for Opera? I hate to use anything that doesn't block ads... I figured ud know since you use it a lot.

There's a few ad block programs on the Opera Extensions page. Note that in testing three of them for whatever reason while I was in their settings it caused very high resource usage, so those I had tried all got dumped in favour of using Fanboy Opera Adblock.

The only thing with Fanboy's is you have to manually move them where you want them, I put them in my Opera profile folder in a folder named "adblock" that way when I'd backup the whole profile it would also backup the adblocking.

Since posting about Opera the other day I've had to dump it yet again. Strange that since version 7 that it just doesn't run correct on my system after awhile such as websites not loading at all, and URL links having to be clicked umpteen times before they open.

• Moderators

Do you suppose I could automate the process by downloading the files & using WinRar SFX maker to automatically extract them to %AppData%\Opera?

Using the relative path means it will automatically locate the current users application data folder & drop it into it in XP/Vista/7.

Just use a batch file that you have stored somewhere such as in the Windows folder that will move the urlfilter.ini file from your downloads folder to where you want it. It may be easier to just store it in the Opera program files folder instead of having umpteen copies in all profiles, such as this which is a dead simple batch file:

md "%ProgramFiles%\Opera\adblock"
move /Y "C:\Downloads\urlfilter.ini" "%ProgramFiles%\Opera\adblock"
cls
exit

@ Andavari:

Edit: The VSO downloader is on the list of banned software here at the Clinic.

Please elaborate.

That was a joke, going along with the notion of downloadaholics and their treatment clinics.

I am very sorry if it caused concern. If it is inappropriate delete it and please accept my apologies.

The VSO Downloader is a very nice software.

edit: I changed that post a bit to make that more clear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! As far as I see here is no one using very usefull extension to FF and Chrome - Xmarks. This extension restores all plugins, bookmarks, history and other preferences of your browser after reinstallation of crash of system. It stores data in the cloud so you will have no headashe how to store and how to restore all your familiar environment. I like it very much!

• Moderators

don't both of those browsers have a simular built in feature already?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com