Internet explorer 9 RC1

Nergal

• Moderators

Released RC1 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/home

Vista (x32 x64)

Windows 7 (x32 x64)

Windows Server 2008 (x32 x64)

Tries to bounce through an atdmt.com so if you have a altered host file which blocks that site you'll need to delete the first bit of the address when you download the file

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I just installed it, and I have to say, it's the best and fastest version of IE by FAR.

Any idea why atdmt.com is blocked by hosts files and why downloads from microsoft.com are associated with it?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

I just installed it, and I have to say, it's the best and fastest version of IE by FAR.

Any idea why atdmt.com is blocked by hosts files and why downloads from microsoft.com are associated with it?

I have the problem downloading IE 9. So I'm now at the Host file but I've scanned the drivers more than once and can't find the file "atdmt" There dozens of files and maybe this old man's eyes are playing tricks. Are they in any order or do I just play pot luck and hope I can see it. Help please.

Mudd

I have the problem downloading IE 9. So I'm now at the Host file but I've scanned the drivers more than once and can't find the file "atdmt" There dozens of files and maybe this old man's eyes are playing tricks. Are they in any order or do I just play pot luck and hope I can see it. Help please.

Please disregard. I found my way!!

Mudd

• Moderators

I just installed this on my win 7 64bit system.

I have to say that I'm really impressed with it. Its super fast(feels noticably faster than firefox), but its missing two killer features: adblock plus and spell checking.

I really like the interface and its blazing fast, but without those its a no go for me. (and I've gotten pretty tired of firefox)

I have to say that I'm really impressed with it. Its super fast(feels noticably faster than firefox), but its missing two killer features: adblock plus and spell checking.

I really like the interface and its blazing fast, but without those its a no go for me. (and I've gotten pretty tired of firefox)

In fact, it is definitely noticeably faster than Firefox. I ran a Peacekeeper test with the latest versions of both browsers, and these were the results (very startling):

Firefox 4 Beta 11: 2870.

Internet Explorer 9 RC1: 3357.

That's an impressive improvement over Firefox.

Here's a set of result screenshots:

Amsv2.png

PqaSX.png

ARs7P.png

I don't know about you guys, but these results are quite convincing.

I apologise for the double post, but I just had to ask this question about "Simple Adblock". What does this mean:

The Free and Pro version includes the same features, but the free version is limited to blocking 100 adrequests per day. When installing the Free version there is a 30 day trial period, where the adblock limit is removed.

That's quoted from the website of Simple Adblock itself--does that 100 limit mean that Simple Adblock will only block 100 ads per day if you're using the free version? Because that just seems stupid if that is the case.

• Moderators

Spell Check I use is ieSpell(only issue is it doesn't the familiar red lines under misspelled words, so you have to remember to check the spelling manually.

It took me a little while to get the search to work (I think you have to have autocomplete (with no other needed options) and search from address bar checked)

As Far as I can tell CCleaner (as well as my chosen internet tracks cleaner) seems to have no issues cleaning it, as opposed to the many complaints we saw from beta testers that ie9 wasn't being cleaned. Can someone who uses CCleaner as there tracks deleter work on this and make sure that it functions, if it doesn't please post aDETAILED post in ccleaner bugs.

There is to be a few incompatibilities with the forum software, but I'll expect ipBoard to update soon to fix them.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

Speckie can show the "red lines", but it looks like it doesn't support IE9 RC yet.

Doesn't support? or doesn't work. I ask this because ieSpell has not changed (literally 0 updates) since ie6

Well, Speckie's creator said a week ago on the Neowin forums that he was waiting for the RC to be released before updating Speckie, so I guess it will soon be updated.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

Let me know if he releases it, i'll def check it out. thanks

I'd never thought I'd do this, but I've actually started to use IE now. I uninstalled FF Beta 11 and switched to IE9. It definitely works faster than FF Beta 11. Interface looks nice and minimalistic, and everything is working great. Now if only there was some sort of css style fixer that would remove the gaping holes that the MVPS hosts file leaves on websites with ads.

Now if only there was some sort of css style fixer that would remove the gaping holes that the MVPS hosts file leaves on websites with ads.

That's a big reason why I continue to use Opera. I use both HostServer and the CSS Element Filter that works with Fanboy's adblock list.

EDIT: For some reason HostsServer only works in other browsers, not Opera. That's why I initially started to use the Fanboy adblock list and his CSS filter in Opera. HostsServer works great in IE, Firefox, Chrome/Iron, etc though.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

ROFL @ Rouget. He complains about the IE Test Drive being non-representative (of course it isn't - if Rouget actually took the time to read what is written above the chart, he'd know that), and then quotes html5test.com and caniuse.com, which are testing drafts and non-standards such as Web Sockets, IndexedDB and WebGL.

I don't think a company that describes their product as "the World's Best Browser" (source: http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/#feature-personalization ) can be trusted when talking about its competitors :rolleyes:

PS : There is a way to add your own CSS style in IE; however, it does not support per-domain or per-site rules.

Piriform French translator

Of course Mozilla will make themselves look better lol, it's their test after all.

And likewise Microsoft would want their products to appear bigger and better than anyone else.

IE9 maybe faster on selective web sites but it's no secret that Internet Explorer sucks at web standard compliance and furthermore cannot be installed on Windows XP machines.

Richard S.

And likewise Microsoft would want their products to appear bigger and better than anyone else.

IE9 maybe faster on selective web sites but it's no secret that Internet Explorer sucks at web standard compliance and furthermore cannot be installed on Windows XP machines.

Richard S.

Meh, IE9 is much faster and works better for me than FF Beta 11, that's all I can say.

Could someone cut and paste this text to a .html file and open with IE8 or IE9 please :)

(already tested and failed with IE6 and IE7)

<hrml>

<body>

<style type="text/css">

.firefox:before {content: "IE9 can't do this code";}

</style>

<span class="firefox"></span>

</body>

</html>

Richard S.

Could someone cut and paste this text to a .html file and open with IE8 or IE9 please :)

(already tested and failed with IE6 and IE7)

Richard S.

I don't see your point. Opens fine with me. Unless you're trying to brag about Firefox. :huh:

There's nothing to brag about Firefox this code was to verify whether Internet Explorer 8/9 implements css style "before" and "after" since I have neither installed on my machine.

If Internet Explorer 9 displays "IE9 can't do this code" then it would appear Microsoft have improved on their css style support.

Richard S.

There's nothing to brag about Firefox this code was to verify whether Internet Explorer 8/9 implements css style "before" and "after" since I have neither installed on my machine.

If Internet Explorer 9 displays "IE9 can't do this code" then it would appear Microsoft have improved on their css style support.

Richard S.

Oh, there's text to display? I thought it was a blank. :lol: My apologies about that. Does it display this message on other web browsers besides IE?