opt out of Google toolbar?

Jo-Anne

I'm using WinXP and just started to install version 3 of CCleaner. I got to a screen that says "free Google toolbar for Internet Explorer." My only option is to Install or Cancel. I cancelled. Am I misunderstanding what's happening? In the past, when CCleaner wanted to install the Yahoo toolbar, I could uncheck it--but there's nothing to check or uncheck here. Does this mean that the Google toolbar will automatically be installed with version 3? Is there a way to opt out of it?

Thank you!

Hi, Jo-Anne. :)

To test, I just downloaded and installed the latest version (3.00.1303). Got to the offer to install Google Chrome. Found out that if you uncheck the bottom box first, then the top one, you don't get the browser or toolbar. If you uncheck the top one first, the bottom one grays out, and I don't know what happens, it probably installs.

Make sure you downloaded ccleaner from an approved site, like filehippo:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

<<Found out that if you uncheck the bottom box first, then the top one, you don't get the browser or toolbar.>>

But there's nothing to uncheck on the Google toolbar page in the CCleaner setup. I downloaded the installation file from FileHippo. The Google screen I get during installation is attached.

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

post-40876-048685000 1288799820_thumb.jpg

<<Or you can download the Slim installer...>>

Thank you, Aethec! I suspect this is what I should do. I suppose the presence of the slim version means that everyone who installs the regular CCleaner, as I always have in the past, will automatically get the toolbar, whether they want it or not. Strange.

Jo-Anne

• Moderators

I think that, actually, your issue may relate to the resolution of you screen (How big things show up on the monitor) or the font size you've choosen for sytem-wide fonts and that the boxes are being pushed off the screen. If I get a chance I'll try a few resolutions and see if they make a difference.

It should look something like

post-21882-086238900 1288823711_thumb.jpg

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I think that, actually, your issue may relate to the resolution of you screen (How big things show up on the monitor) or the font size you've choosen for sytem-wide fonts and that the boxes are being pushed off the screen.

That makes perfect sense because most setup tools like NSIS and Inno Setup don't have a re-sizable setup window.;)

It does indeed make sense--but so far, making changes in font size and screen resolution hasn't worked. In Display Properties, I tried decreasing the font size from Large to Normal; that didn't do anything about the Google screen in the setup program. I then put the font size back to Large but lowered the screen resolution; still no change in the Google screen.

What surprises me is that, for most screens (e.g., System Restore), when the visible part shrinks, a slide bar appears. It doesn't in this setup program.

Any suggestions for things to change that I haven't already tried?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

Well, I'm curious now. Just installed the latest version, 3.00.1310, got the window shown below (w/o the red text) same as with the previous version. Using IE7, WXP home, screen resolution = 1024 x 768. Why is it different?

th_cclgoogleno2a.jpg

Edited by login123

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

Well, I'm curious now. Just installed the latest version, 3.00.1310, got the window shown below (w/o the red text) same as with the previous version. Using IE7, WXP home, screen resolution = 1024 x 768. Why is it different?

? different in what way, one is for chrome and one is for toolbar. toolbar has one checkmark because it isn't a browser :P

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Different:

1. your posted picture is different from mine.

. a. The colors are different

. b. The words are different

. c. Mine has more checkboxes

2. looks they are offering to install 2 different apps.

How'm I doing so far? That right? If so, then the question is:

If we both used the current installer for the full version, why did you get an offer to install a toolbar and I get an offer to install google chrome?

Not sure how this might affect Jo-Anne, its just that I originally thought she might have the wrong installer.

Boooooooo!! You removed the "Add Yahoo Toolbar" option not too long ago. Now you added a "Chrome option". Hmmmmmm. Not sure what to think? I am glad I saw it in time.

P.S. I still love the program. I am a DSL technician, and I go on numerous "Slow DSL" troubles every week. I always use CCleaner to clean up my customers computers. (I keep it on a USB stick). I get a real kick out of the look on their faces, when I restart the browser, and they see the drastic improvement.

Now I'm really confused. Is it possible Piriform is sending out three versions of its installation software--one without any boxes to check, one with both the Google toolbar and Google Chrome boxes, and one with just the toolbar box? I always download CCleaner updates from Filehippo. When I went to do the download yesterday, I noticed that there are two builds of version 3--but I had only been notified of the version 3 update by CCleaner yesterday, although I use it every day. The two builds are 3.00.1303 and 3.00.1310. I'm curious if some of the differences people are writing about are for different builds.

I've asked about this on a Windows XP forum, and someone there suggested that the different offers might be related to whether you already have one of the Google programs installed. As far as I can tell, I have neither Google Chrome nor the Google toolbar on the computer I'm using right now.

Someone here suggested that I simply install the slim build (not exactly sure what would be missing). But since I generally install from Filehippo and would prefer to do the simplest install, I'd rather not seek out a different version every time I need to install an update.

Any more ideas? Any way to ask Piriform directly about what's happening?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

1. Is it possible Piriform is sending out three versions...

2. ...3.00.1303 and 3.00.1310. [are] the differences...for different builds.

3. simply install the slim build (not exactly sure what would be missing)

4. Any way to ask Piriform directly about what's happening?

1. Not 2 versions of the full installer. Check sums are the same for both (Piriform and Filehippo).

2. No. I tried both. In between removed all traces of Ccleaner, Google, et. al., got the same offer window.

3. Best idea (from Pwillener). I just did it, slim looks just like, errr, plump. :P Have not tried updates.

4. This is about as direct as possible. Nergal is quite knowledgeable about ccleaner, as are all the moderators.

Don't worry. Try that slim version. Under Options > Settings there is a box to check for automatic updates.

In due time I'm sure someone will explain why the two install offers are different. And why yours looks different than Nergals.

• Moderators

Couple Things here

@login and @Jo-Anne There is only on installer for full version. It is possible to (within a single instance of an installer) have multiple instances of offers. I don't know much about this so I won't really get in to the hows, but from my testing if you use the same file on the same machine you'll get the same offer (i haven't yet tried to use the same exe on seperate machines)

@Jo-Anne the updater within ccleaner may only check occassionally for an update, I don't know how often though. There have been two releases of version 3 however the second was quickly released and was mainly a bug fix for a couple of prevelant bugs in the first release.

@sully you registered just to shout down the only way the the developers have to make any sort of money for their efforts and time spent on these wonderful FREE programs. How would you rather they go about it? Nagware is the software that tells you to buy every time you use it? Ads in the software. Maybe they should charge the $30 per install that other simular software charges?!?! In short the Developers are awesome and even provide it's users with a slim build (mentioned above). They even give the ability to not install the bundled software during the install, unlike other software that forces the bundled ware onto your machine whether you want it or not (as java did with the Open Office installer). Basically you perform a disservice to yourself and the community by acting in that manner #nuffsaid.

Thanks, Nergal. FWIW, I agree w/ you about the toolbar/browser issue, although some don't. All that extra clicking wears'em out, I guess.

Concerning Jo-Anne's current issue, do you remember when the Spybot TeaTimer popup was opening wrongly and users could not make selections?

It is documented here: SpyBot Forum. That sounds very much like Jo-Anne's issue to me, a non-tekkie.

That fix worked (for Spybot), I did it on old HAL here. However I would NOT recommend that most users to try it, too easy to goof up.

Thank you, everyone, for your help! I had also asked about the problem on a Windows XP newsgroup and found one other person who had gotten the same screen I did for the CCleaner update. He said he clicked on "Install" and it didn't install the Google toolbar. I decided not to take the chance, however, so I finally gave up and installed the Slim version.

For what it's worth, I just updated CCleaner on my netbook running WinXP. There I was offered Google Chrome but could uncheck the boxes for it. I think I already have the Google toolbar on that computer, although I don't use it--so that could be why it wasn't offered there.

Jo-Anne