Sony rootkit on CD

Eldmannen

• Moderators
I will never ever even consider to buy anything from Sony.

21972[/snapback]

I will.

I love my...

51 inch tv

MP3 player(2)

dvd players(3)

surround sound system

PS2

PS1

Walkman cd player(cd/mp3)

Stereo

Car CD/MP3 player

25in tv

A couple of more things that no one cares about. :lol:

I'm seriously considering to go and buy a Vaio laptop in the near future.

Sony makes quality products that last. They made a mistake but all companies do.

• Moderators

Speaking of the whole DRM issue, I remember reading awhile back where broadcast television in the future will be able to block and not allow devices such as hard drive recorders and dvd recorders from recording certain programs. The strange thing is I've already encountered this twice on my JVC home dvd recorder when it has stated that some parts of a broadcast couldn't be recorded.

• Moderators
How would that work though? I don't see how there is anyway to stop a device from recording off of the tv.

22040[/snapback]

I don't know exactly how it will/does work, however it's probably a chip in the units that allow for such behavior. Also my JVC home dvd recorders user manual also states that some broadcasts may only be recordable once or not at all due to copying limitations.

Edit:

It's probably the copy-protection chip in the units. Unlike old VCR's when you'd try to dub a VHS tape in your collection the picture would be distorted, well with many modern digital recording devices it won't let you dub such copy-protected programs at all from for instance a VHS tape.

A senior Homeland Security official cautioned entertainment companies against discouraging piracy in ways that also make computers vulnerable. Stewart Baker, assistant secretary for policy at DHS, did not cite Sony by name in his remarks Thursday but described industry efforts to install hidden files on consumers' computers.

Yahoo News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - People who attempt to copy music or movies without permission could face jail time under legislation proposed by the U.S. Justice Department on Thursday. The bill, outlined by U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales at an anti-piracy summit, would widen intellectual-property protections to cover those who try but fail to make illicit copies of music, movies, software or other copyrighted material.

Yahoo News

• Moderators
The bill, outlined by U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales at an anti-piracy summit, would widen intellectual-property protections to cover those who try but fail to make illicit copies of music, movies, software or other copyrighted material.

Now stuff is really getting to sound more like piracy is being considered like murder. I can only imagine watching the news when someone is convicted of Attempted Piracy and give 25 years to life for it. Captain James Hook must be laughing in his grave at the sound of such two words: Attempted Piracy

Yes, it is also avaible for Mac users, however due to the nature of the security of the Mac operating system, it needs to be privileged with extra rights. Those rights can only be granted by passing the password to it.

So basically, the spyware is saying "Please, type your password in this box so I can get administrator privilegies and install the rootkit."

About the DRM on the TV, that is "the broadcast flag".

See the EFF, http://www.eff.org/

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

"Sir, you're under arrest for the attempted thinking about copying of Neil Diamond's new CD. This violates Statute 114.987.63 Section 3 Subsection 4 Paragraph 2 of the Patriot Act which I'm sure you realize is a 7th Class Felony."

"God, is this ever embarrassing!"

"How so? That you were caught trying to take food from the mouths of Neil Diamond's children?"

"No Sir, it's that someone knows I listen to Neil Diamond! Besides, I never actually tried to copy it."

"But you THOUGHT about it, didn't you?"

"No sir! What gave you that idea?"

"Your computer works for us as an undercover agent to infiltrate the minds of unAmerican scum like you that would pervert the wholesome goodness that is Sony and the RIAA. It reported you to the FBI, CIA, Homeland Security, Crime Stoppers, COPS, Oprah, and America's Most Wanted. As soon as we can figure out where the Heck's he hiding you can be sure we'll let Vice President Cheney know. How does being tortured sound to you, PUNK!?"

"Can't be worse than listening to Neil Diamond."

"You think this is funny, do you?"

"But I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!"

"Shut up scum! Your kind makes me sick!"

"You mean Neil Diamond fans? My friends told me the same thing... But I didn't do anything!"

"Do you deny visiting HowStuffWorks.com and reading their nefarious How to Backup Your CD article?"

"That was 3 years ago! I just wanted to backup my Windows 3.1 disc because there's only 3 left in the world and Microsoft wants $249.00 for one and I'd have to turn in the one I have so I still wouldn't have a backup and..."

"SHUT UP! I'm sure Mr. Bill Gates would be interested in your little plan to deceive Microsoft! HOW DARE YOU!"

"BUT I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!"

"Are you calling your computer a liar? Before you answer that you snot-nosed little twerp perhaps you'd be interested to know your printer has verified everything your PC told us. And how do you explain the giant pile of blank CDs over there next to the meth lab? Looks like a plan to flood the third world with black market Neil Diamond CDs forcing Sony into bankruptcy and thus bringing down the entire US economy you communist sympathizing freedom hating wacked out psycho."

"Giant pile of blank CDs? There's like 30, they're cheaper when you buy a spindle."

"Spindle? Don't try to dazzle me with your fancy piracy lingo."

"So you're honestly telling me that my PC and my printer are accusing me of conspiring to bring down America by copying my Windows 3.1 disc in an elaborate scheme to cover up the fact that I secretly intend to ship bootleg Neil Diamond CDs to the third world?"

"Yup."

"Gee, I'm surprised my TIVO didn't catch on."

"You might want to curb the sarcasm, Piracy Boy. As soon as we can guarantee your TIVO admittance into the Witness Protection Program it assures us it is willing to testify concerning the little Celine Dion caper you thought nobody would find out about."

"I want a lawyer."

"They don't have lawyers in the Hell you're going to be in for the next 20 years!"

"Does this Hell have Neil Diamond CDs?"

"Yup."

DISCLAIMER: I kind of like Neil Diamond's older songs but if anyone finds out I'll deny it.

• Moderators
"That was 3 years ago! I just wanted to backup my Windows 3.1 disc because there's only 3 left in the world and Microsoft wants $249.00 for one and I'd have to turn in the one I have so I still wouldn't have a backup and..."

"SHUT UP! I'm sure Mr. Bill Gates would be interested in your little plan to deceive Microsoft! HOW DARE YOU!"

Ha ha ha!

"Are you calling your computer a liar? Before you answer that you snot-nosed little twerp perhaps you'd be interested to know your printer has verified everything your PC told us. And how do you explain the giant pile of blank CDs over there next to the meth lab? Looks like a plan to flood the third world with black market Neil Diamond CDs forcing Sony into bankruptcy and thus bringing down the entire US economy you communist sympathizing freedom hating wacked out psycho."

This takes the cake, talk about freakin' funny!

• Moderators
Also, the effects of their root-kit may be far wider and more serious than previously thought.

22240[/snapback]

There's already various antivirus vendors that are adding routines into their definitions to deal with its variants that are now malware.

There's already various antivirus vendors that are adding routines into their definitions to deal with its variants that are now malware.

22262[/snapback]

One of those are Microsoft AntiSpyware.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

The news I thought was most interesting was:

To get the uninstall program, users were asked to request it by filling out online forms. Once submitted, the forms themselves download and install a program designed to ready the PC for the fix. Essentially, it makes the PC open to downloading and installing code from the Internet.

According to security experts, the program fails to make the computer confirm that such code should come only from Sony or First 4 Internet.

"The consequences of the flaw are severe," Felten and Halderman wrote in a blog posting Tuesday after being tipped by a Finnish researcher, Matti Nikki. "It allows any Web page you visit to download, install, and run any code it likes on your computer. Any Web page can seize control of your computer; then it can do anything it likes. That's about as serious as a security flaw can get." (From CBS News)

Unfortunately, it looks like while there will soon be a range of options to remove or deactivate the rootkit, people may have been exposed to even more malware from other sources after merely making the request to aquire the "fix" from Sony.

As people have often mentioned in these forums, these sort of things will probably have the most negative effect on casual and inexperienced users who in good faith follow Sony's instructions.

Nov. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Sony BMG Music Entertainment, the world's second-largest record company, recalled compact discs with hidden copyright-protection software because of concerns about security risks the CDs may create on personal computers.