Sony rootkit on CD

Eldmannen

Sony has started putting rootkits on their CD's. When you run their CD's on your computer, it modified the system and installs a stealthy application.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27349

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

Dont ever under any circumstances buy a CD from an artist that has signed with Sony!

Now if you happen to use Microsoft Windows and happen to have a one of these CD's by Sony and want to use it then I think maybe it would work to disable the autoload-feature in Windows that autoload and runs autorun.inf on the CD's when they inserted to the drive.

You can prevent autorun.inf from being run if you hold down your CTRL button while you put your CD into the computer.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators
Dont ever under any circumstances buy a CD from an artist that has signed with Sony!

That's a bit over-the-top, however the warning is appropriate for copy-protected CD's. Copy-protected CD's aren't actually audio CD's since they contain both data and audio.

For better protection when buying music look for the CD Audio Logo cdaudio6me.png since under Redbook Standards audio only discs can bear that logo.

• Moderators
Is this evidence of Sony doing naughty things back in 2003 with soundforge?

http://forum.mainconcept.com/viewtopic.php...e8ea4401ec42088

Could just be a screwed up sloppy installer, if you would've seen what Sony did to the cd authoring software HotBurn back in 1998ish you'd know what I mean. However audio products (Players/Editors) are known for wanting certain filetypes and they'll happily steal them at each program launch which is why many players such as Winamp, etc., have the ability to re-register filetypes at startup.

• Moderators

I used to love TechTV. Anyway here is a pod cast by leo laport(tech tv host) and steve gibson (pc security expert and founder of the term spyware).

They put this out specially because of the sony root kits.

http://thisweekintech.com/sn12

If you havent heard DO NOT remove this from your system with blacklight or rootkit revealer. If you do you will mess up your cd drive.

About Steve Gibson, I love the ShieldsUp! service he provide and he has some useful tools on his website but I have to say he seems a little bit like a mediawhore, I get the feeling he try to hype up things and make things appear revolutionary, etc.

Since alot of people complained about this rootkit, Sony have released a tool to remove it. http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html

I still think that people should totaly boycot Sony. When you buy a CD not much more than couple of cents goes to the artist, the rest of the money goes into developement of content protection, rootkits, annoying cd protection, DRM and pushing DRM forwards and making an hell for computer users.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

• Moderators
Since alot of people complained about this rootkit, Sony have released a tool to remove it. http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html

Supposedly using their removal tool will install additional ActiveX components! Therefore who knows exactly what they're doing.

There's also discussion about the Sony BMG rootkit here.

I just recently heard that this thing Sony released which they claim removes the rootkit DOES NOT remove it. It only makes it visible.

Also if you try remove it, you risk breaking the OS.

Say you want to remove the Sony stuff. According to no less a source than The Washington Post, the bare minimum you have to do to remove the rootkitted DRM infection is give up your privacy. If you go to the Sony page, here, you have to give Sony your email at the very least, and according to the WP story, Sony then grills you about your reasons for not liking being rootkitted. So, if you want to remove it, go here and click the link. Don't use Firefox though, it won't work, it's Internet Explorer only.

SONY IS EVIL!

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Sony is now allowing you to remove the rootkit but of course there's yet another catch:

"If at some point you wish to remove the software from your machine simply contact customer service through this link. You will, though, be unable to use the disc on your computer once you uninstall the components."

Sony FAQ

You still have to give them your e-mail.

Hackers are already exploiting the rootkit:

World of Warcraft hack

Another article:

Inquirer UK

• Moderators

I'm thinking the bad judgement of Sony or Sony BMG will probably bite them in the ass in the end, thus effecting other areas of Sony -- not just their music division. I surely wouldn't trust installing any of their software after the blatantly without disclosure abuse of their customers. Unfortunately for them they have tarnished their good name by f'ing up in a major way.

Andavari-

When I was reading up on Sony's rootkit I think you had a post in another forum wondering if anti-virus vendors were considering doing anything to prevent, remove or at least detect rootkits on user's PCs in the future. Have you seen this?

ZDNet UK article

Apparently Sony can add Anti-Malware Vendors to the list of people they have p*ssed off royally with their "harmless software."

The list now includes their customers, their artists (Van Zandt and Switchfoot have gone on record as saying they want no part of excessive DRMs), privacy advocates, safe computing advocates, people with ethics or at least half a brain, etc.

I guess no-one's happy except for Sony Management who still are saying they can't understand why people are upset. Are they really that CLUELESS or are they just too arrogant to admit they made a mistake? To be fair to Sony I did read hackers are happy, too.

• Moderators

Actually I was wondering if the mothership Microsoft would introduce a Service Pack, or in the next version of Windows the ability to block or at the least warn the user with a prompt about the installation of rootkits.

I really believe since a rootkit can hide from the OS it is a Microsoft responsibility to either prevent, block, or inform a Windows user what's happening blindly to the OS such as unauthorized OS modifications that in itself hide the modifications from the OS.

Windows isnt designed to be secure. :)

It is designed to please the masses.

Slashdot, also informs that the rootkit sends data to Sony's servers.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Sony claimed that the rootkit wasnt sending any data to them, but it's been proven that it was a lie. The fact is that it actually does send them data.

An Italian company named ALCEI have sued Sony.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png