Minefield

Icedrake

I use Minefield as my main web browser everyday, and as you guys all probably know, it's the nightly build of Firefox. For those of you who are not using it, I just thought I might show you what's new from the stable versions of Firefox:

bf434fc6fc.png

132466d20758.png

I'll update this topic if more changes occur with Minefield.

Minefield - is that the 3.6.5pre? Cause I have that as a secondary broswer. Did you see the 3.7 Alpha version? Very interesting.

AJ

Erm.... no. 3.7 is the Minefield build.

Then what is the Namoroka build I'm using? In the About it's listed as version 3.6.5 pre. I had the 3.7 Alpha 2 version installed for a while - oh wait - something just occurred to me was that I think you have to manually install those versions each night.

AJ

Namoroka is 3.6's code name. 3.6.4 is Lorentz (aka out-of-process-plugins). 3.6.5pre...is something after Lorentz, but I don't think it's more than a few bugfixes.

Nightly builds should update each day automatically. If not, set app.update.channel to nightly ;)

Piriform French translator

Minefield runs plugins as a separate process I guess this was done to prevent badly coded plugins like Flash /Abat from crashing the browser.

Crash protection sounds like a good idea but my experience with Minefield and plugins has been less than favourable to the point of being annoying.

If you visit a Flash infested site like MySpace or you're watching videos then sometimes plugins can become sluggish or unresponsive.

For example YouYoube videos will play but sometimes the panel stops responding i.e. cannot stop pause or fast forward (unless I use task manager).

Richard S.

Minefield runs plugins as a separate process I guess this was done to prevent badly coded plugins like Flash /Abat from crashing the browser.

Crash protection sounds like a good idea but my experience with Minefield and plugins has been less than favourable to the point of being annoying.

If you visit a Flash infested site like MySpace or you're watching videos then sometimes plugins can become sluggish or unresponsive.

For example YouYoube videos will play but sometimes the panel stops responding i.e. cannot stop pause or fast forward (unless I use task manager).

Richard S.

Minefield == nightly builds. Mozilla says " This directory contains precompiled binaries of Firefox. These are NIGHTLY BUILDS. They are completely untested. We don't even know if they start up without crashing." ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It appears Java is enabled by default (not Java Script) there's no menu option to disable it or using "about:config"

Is this going to be the norm for the latest version of Firefox??

Richard S.

Every time I've installed Firefox I disable Java but today a web site I visited made Java crash but not Minefield.

So I thought weird, I'll go and disable it only to discover someone had removed the option to disable Java.

Java or no Java I think it's a bad idea to remove this option, however I solved my problem by renaming one of the DLL files thus rending it inactive.

I could uninstall Java but I need it to run Sun's J2ME emulator. :)

Richard S.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope they do something about memory. My FF has been open for 2 days...I have now 3 open tabs...and it is using more than one gigabyte of RAM. blink.gif

They won't. I posted a comment about that on the Chromatic Pixel blog, and got told Firefox wasn't to blame but some add-on. Yeah. Like if all users encountering leaks had the same add-on installed. rolleyes.gif

I'm not into testing like you. You had like, what? 300+ tabs right? Try it out! :)

P.S. That is what I meant. I never meant for you to lie. I thought you did it without the addons.

Simplicity is hard.

No, my "testing" was a normal FF usage. Which should not result in such a massive memory usage, especially when all but three tabs are closed.