Clean "past items" in notification area icon list!

slowday444

If you are like me, after a while the clutter on your PC starts to get to you. (My wife would love if I felt that way about my dresser, etc. lol) So I searched how to do this and it worked like a charm if you are interested.

"Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values.

Open Task Manager, click Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, then click End Process.

Still in Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, then click OK."

• Moderators

You can do this so much faster with CCleaner: ;)

1. CCleaner: Cleaner -> Advanced -> Tray Notifications Cache

2. Close CCleaner.

3. End task: Explorer.exe

4. Restart: Explorer.exe

5. Restart Windows (this is necessary for any new customized settings of the tray icons to remain intact, otherwise if you don't restart they'll be completely lost when rebooting).

You can do this so much faster with CCleaner: ;)

1. CCleaner: Cleaner -> Advanced -> Tray Notifications Cache

2. Close CCleaner.

3. End task: Explorer.exe

4. Restart: Explorer.exe

5. Restart Windows (this is necessary for any new customized settings of the tray icons to remain intact, otherwise if you don't restart they'll be completely lost when rebooting).

Now you tell me! lol

• Moderators
You can do it even faster than Andavari's method, called PastIconFlusher from RaProducts. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page to find it.

Yeah, but from the SourceForge.net Project Page here this bug has me wondering (after my interest was sparked by it, that and it's discontinued):

Bugs: ---------------------

- Windows can't remember what the preferences of your tray icons are after running this program.

A member of our forum here reported the same thing in a pm to me Andavari, so like you I would definitely say use PastIconFlusher with great caution.

I have used it without problem since it was first available. The only downside is it resets the current icons to hide when not in use.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• 1 year later...

Why isn't this added in CCleaner for Windows 7?

How do i clean it without destroy anything in the register?

Found something about "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify\"

And then remove, IconStream and PastIconsStream. But I'm skeptic about this. If anything get destroyed on this laptop, i can't fix it.

So anything to do it, and be sure that my computer doesn't get destroyed?

• Moderators

If anything get destroyed on this laptop, i can't fix it.

So anything to do it, and be sure that my computer doesn't get destroyed?

Then don't manually play around in the registry, which is the best advice! If you absolutely can't resist then install ERUNT and manually make a System Restore Point before manually editing the registry.

Although it would be nice if Windows would flush the old obsolete icons in the list after 90 days or so.

Is ERUNT still even applicable with Win7/64?

Yes, works perfectly (I've used both ERUNT and NTREGOPT on Win7 without issue). When using ERUNT, you may get this "RegSaveKey: 3" error. Just ignore this error and continue, everything will be working fine.