Fox It Reader Toolbar Has ask.com in it!

tommyk

For some time now I've been trying to get rid of ask.com as my default search engine. Prior to that it was google.com. I tried all the fixes per Firefox forum and suggestions from the net. It would go away but every time I turned on the computer and put in a search title ask.com came up.

I finally decided to remove some downloads and lo-and-behold when I removed Fox It Toolbar ask.com was hidden in it!

Ask.com has not returned since.

Is Mozilla part of this or did something else take place?

Mozilla's not responsible for add-ons, the creator of the add-on is. If there's no "unclick" option during installation (and there usually isn't anything like that with add-ons) then it will install whatever it's designed to.

• Moderators

I think you should lay the blame firmly at the Foxit Softwear door.

The toolbar is even called the "Ask Toolbar" at various download locations:

7kdFKs.png

I'm guessing that during the install of the toolbar, there's no indication as to the default search engine built into it, which would probably have helped.

I just plain old refuse to add anything to my pooter that I dinna want. If it insists on a toolbar, I refuse said item. And after having spent almost decades viewing online pooter stuff, I can say I feel much safer now than I did in 1997.

I think you should lay the blame firmly at the Foxit Softwear door.

The toolbar is even called the "Ask Toolbar" at various download locations:

7kdFKs.png

I'm guessing that during the install of the toolbar, there's no indication as to the default search engine built into it, which would probably have helped.

Why blame Foxit (which is an excellent product)

The op didn't have to download the toolbar. So many free programs are adding toolbar options to help towards the cost, that its essential that users look to be sure what they are about to download

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

I agree, there's nothing wrong with Foxit software, and I agree as to the reason for the toolbar.

The point I was making in answer to the OP's question, is that it isn't anything to do with Firefox, and if there is anyone to blame for installing something unwanted and unneeded, then it's Foxit Software.

I completely block Ask.com on my system via the HOSTS File and in browsers, it's just way too much anymore with so much software including it.

Since I'm not as knowledgable as you & others here regarding computers, how do I block Ask.com as you did?

Thanks

I went back and did a "dry" install of Fox It Reader and there was the box checked with ask.com as default search engine.

I apparently went to fast when I originally down -loaded and missed the checked box.

Me bad!

• Moderators
Since I'm not as knowledgable as you & others here regarding computers, how do I block Ask.com as you did?

1. Learn about the HOSTS file here.

2. To block Ask.com you'd input this into the HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1  ask.com
127.0.0.1  www.ask.com

It helps to also block those URL's in your browser(s) ad blocker.

I think the original poster (tommyk) is getting the Foxit reader program mixed up with Firefox, hence the Mozilla reference in his first post.

tommyk - they are from different corporations.

If you do accidentally download the ask.com toolbar when downloading foxit reader then the toolbar can be removed via the add/remove programs feature in Windows.

The ask.com toolbar was not listed in my add/remove programs. Foxit Reader Toolbar was but it didn't indicate ask.com was in it until I deleted Foxit Reader Toolbar.

I did finally realize Foxit reader is not part of Firefox. However, it is deceptive since "Fox" is in it's name . . . but again it's up to the operator to be more careful . . . which I was not at that time. Normally I am but I missed the ask.com check box because I was going to fast when downloading.

Be sure to have Erunt installed as well as Revo Uninstaller. Erunt makes a full registry backup every day, automatically. Revo has 4 modes of uninstall to choose from... Normal, deeper, even deeper, and shredded underwear. You could lose functionality if you remove everything via the shredded underwear option, that's why Erunt is an excellent app to have already installed.

• Moderators

Revo Uninstaller is very good for getting rid of difficult to remove software, or software who's own uninstaller fails or doesn't work correctly.

ERUNT as already recommended is a sure way of having a known good registry backup to restore from, and can surely save you when System Restore fails by enabling you to fully restore the registry should System Restore leave you hanging. ERUNT has already saved my current WinXP install at least on two occasions!