be very careful wiping freespace

crashnburn

I have been using the cleaner for a year or more and no problems...UNTIL I decided that the guttman wipe was taking too long and I opted to hit the cancel button. It was wiping free-space at the time. I am contacting you via my "new" computer which I just got up and running.

When I tried to boot up the next day with the old system, it would not launch windows, even in safemode. Took it to the shop. HD had fried sector. This problem occured the very next session after cancelling the wipe of free space. I had no previous boot problems or system problems for that matter. Be very careful. This mistake costed me 200 bucks.

At this point, I am afraid to run cccleaner on my new system. Just thought you all might like to know about this.

• Moderators

Don't fear CCLeaner just don't use (useless IMHO) Wipe FreeSpace.

Devs I hate to say it but once again I renew my plea for WipefreeSpace to be removed. If people really want it, make it a seperate GUI program but. . . sooooo many issues :P

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Don't fear CCLeaner just don't use (useless IMHO) Wipe FreeSpace.

Devs I hate to say it but once again I renew my plea for WipefreeSpace to be removed. If people really want it, make it a seperate GUI program but. . . sooooo many issues :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I guess you are saying that this has been an issue before with others? Please clarify for my tech-stupid self. Thanks.

Also, I think I saw a long list of error message scroll past and then disappear during my attempts to boot. They all had something to do with partition drivers.

Well my guess would be that your HD was maybe on the way out and running a 35 pass(!) wipe just pushed it over the edge. Personally I'm with Nergal on this one, its completely unnecessary and puts way too much extra strain on peoples HDs when they are assuming they should run it as it must be beneficial, and of course 35 pass must be better than 1 right? :rolleyes:

But then that's the reason it's in the 'Advanced' section. Having said that if it was in a section with a big flashing "Do not use if you don't understand" warning, people would still tick all the advanced boxes and run it regardless

Well my guess would be that your HD was maybe on the way out and running a 35 pass(!) wipe just pushed it over the edge. Personally I'm with Nergal on this one, its completely unnecessary and puts way too much extra strain on peoples HDs when they are assuming they should run it as it must be beneficial, and of course 35 pass must be better than 1 right? :rolleyes:

But then that's the reason it's in the 'Advanced' section. Having said that if it was in a section with a big flashing "Do not use if you don't understand" warning, people would still tick all the advanced boxes and run it regardless

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok you have made it clear that I must be pretty stupid and that it is my fault that I trashed my own drive by using this tool. Ok. Thanks for the help then. Later and thanks again. Great forum. Keep up the good work. Is that about it then? Alrighty then!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok you have made it clear that I must be pretty stupid and that it is my fault that I trashed my own drive by using this tool. Ok. Thanks for the help then. Later and thanks again. Great forum. Keep up the good work. Is that about it then? Alrighty then!

My post was not aimed at you personally, you asked if it had been a problem before, I was just explaining the main reason why it's been a problem.

Well my guess would be that your HD was maybe on the way out and running a 35 pass(!) wipe just pushed it over the edge.

I thought we figured out ccleaner ignored the "Secure Deletion" for WFS,

and that ccleaner only uses one pass of 0's to wipe free space, and only uses the secure delete for actual files you are deleting.

Which is also what other users are complaining about, they want it to do more passes.

fireryone

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm... this seem's interesting..

i been using CClean for ages and always had all boxes checked :unsure:

i never had any problem with CC yet i have stopped a couple of free space wipes but never got any problem.. =/

also.. you said you could come as far as choosing safe boot and stuffs.. then i belive your HD is still working just problems with the system..

which could be easily solver by just installing a new install of xp/vista/win7/kubuntu/ubuntu/ect..

hmm did you buy a new HD or computer?

or did your OS cost 200 bucks? .. (i am a pirate...)

If you did buy a new comp you can make the old one work easily

by doing this (this is for xp,vista,win 7):

Use a good boot recovery cd like Hiren's boot cd

use the partition tools and delete partitions and wipe(1) them no idea to overwrite more then 1 time cause if you write 0 one time or 35 times it is still 0 (0x0=0, 00000000x0=0)

then make a new parition (Prim, NTFS) also i do usually save 7-8mb free space before and after the partition i got no answer to why

then use a good fully working OS Cd and reinstall the OS make a clean install

then it should be working.. i dunno if this is to any help for anyone but anyway..

hmmm... this seem's interesting..

i been using CClean for ages and always had all boxes checked :unsure:

i never had any problem with CC yet i have stopped a couple of free space wipes but never got any problem.. =/

also.. you said you could come as far as choosing safe boot and stuffs.. then i belive your HD is still working just problems with the system..

which could be easily solver by just installing a new install of xp/vista/win7/kubuntu/ubuntu/ect..

hmm did you buy a new HD or computer?

or did your OS cost 200 bucks? .. (i am a pirate...)

If you did buy a new comp you can make the old one work easily

by doing this (this is for xp,vista,win 7):

Use a good boot recovery cd like Hiren's boot cd

use the partition tools and delete partitions and wipe(1) them no idea to overwrite more then 1 time cause if you write 0 one time or 35 times it is still 0 (0x0=0, 00000000x0=0)

then make a new parition (Prim, NTFS) also i do usually save 7-8mb free space before and after the partition i got no answer to why

then use a good fully working OS Cd and reinstall the OS make a clean install

then it should be working.. i dunno if this is to any help for anyone but anyway..

35 passes is included, in the event that they want to securely erase the data with multiple over-writes. True, a 0 is a 0, but it has been said that just having a single overwrite can be bypassed with good data recovery programs, whereas 35 passes makes it extremely difficult to recover, if it would be possible at all!

Recovering anything after one 0 pass is impossible.

35 passes is included, in the event that they want to securely erase the data with multiple over-writes. True, a 0 is a 0, but it has been said that just having a single overwrite can be bypassed with good data recovery programs, whereas 35 passes makes it extremely difficult to recover, if it would be possible at all!

Piriform French translator

I wish that collectively, including the writers of ccleaner, we could stop perpetuating the myth that 35 passes serves any purpose.

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pub...d=1202429342339

You'll find lots of posts on this site expressing the same view.

Gutmann claims the 35-pass overwrite is pointless. And I don't see anyone claiming to recover single-pass overwrites (on modern drives), either.