Is McAfee good protection software afterall?

HunterCub

I keep hearing from people here and there (not on the forums) that McAfee has problems catching various different Malware and spyware programs and that it uses a TON of processor power because it is ALWAYS running in the background. I am aware that pretty much all anti malware programs run in the background constantly as they check ALL computer activity for possible unwanted stuff.

On top of that, I have been using McAfee on my computer for years now, but still seem to get infected once in a while.

I guess my question is do you recommend i keep using McAfee products or move on to something different/possibly better?

Any and all help will be appreciated

Sincerely,

HunterCub

Don't use McAfee. It's a system RAM hog, because it uses a LOT of RAM when it's running in the background. I recommend you switch to another AV. Some good free ones are: Avast, and Avira. If you are paying, then you should go for NOD32, (or you can stick with free Avast and Avira, as they are just as good as NOD32.). ;)

• Moderators
Use Avira and MBAM

That's what I'm using right now at this very moment after re-testing AntiVir 9 and deciding to keep it installed especially after finding out they've gotten rid of the fp's I was having with WinZip Self Extractor made SFX ZIP's.

• Moderators
Just curious . . . you're not running MBAM resident with Avira are you?? Didn't really think that was necessary with Avira -- thought it covered most malware issues.

Only AntiVir is resident, I use the freeware version of MBAM.

Only AntiVir is resident, I use the freeware version of MBAM.

Same combo I'm using. Only difference may be that I'm using AntiVir Premium because of its added protection for my POP 3 e-mail client.

Ok, so its DEFFINATELY not just me then. I must agree (tastefully) that over the years i have noticed McAfee to generally be crapware. I will more then likely NOT be renewing my subscription to it when it expires in early 2010. Or do you guys (moreso the moderators) recomend i just remove it now and move to Avira since i got infected by sumthing recently anyhow?

Too bad you paid for it but it ranks lower than freeware AV apps. Security is a higher priority than "getting your moneys' worth", so I'd opt to tell you uninstall it and install the free versions of either Avast or AntiVir(Avira). Best/cleanest site to get stuff is filehippo.

McAfee is the greatest Anti-Virus that has ever graced our computers, the others are crap in comparison..........taking the piss by the way in case anyone takes me seriously :D

• Moderators
I will more then likely NOT be renewing my subscription to it when it expires in early 2010. Or do you guys (moreso the moderators) recomend i just remove it now and move to Avira since i got infected by sumthing recently anyhow?

It's up to you really, I mean if you add something like MBAM along with it you could essentially ride out your license period. You'd just have to remember to on occasion actually do a full system scan with MBAM.

Any antivirus is capable of having a false negative meaning they can miss an actual malware.