Microsoft’s New Free Anti-Virus “Morro” Revealed, Screenshots Inside

Icedrake

There wasn't any cancel button, so I ended the uninstall process with Task Manager and rebooted. It looks like nothing happened, because Avira starts up like nothings happened. So what do I do now?

I have an idea. Should I first disable the Avira guard, like you said, and then should I run that Avira AntiVir Removal Tool from Ishan's topic? That might work.

Btw, the uninstaller for Avira wasn't frozen. It was just stuck in that same place for more than 20 minutes, and it wasn't using up any System Usage.

• Moderators
There wasn't any cancel button, so I ended the uninstall process with Task Manager and rebooted. It looks like nothing happened, because Avira starts up like nothings happened. So what do I do now?

Boot into safe mode and try uninstalling from there.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Okay, here goes my review on MSE:

1. To start off, the XP installer for MSE was quite small compared to all of the other AV companies. It was only somewhere in the 7 megabyte range.

2. Installation was very quick, and it did not require a system restart, and it automatically starts up MSE once it's installed and starts updating. I also checked how much disk space it uses, and to my surprise, it only uses somewhere in the 8 megabyte range!

3. After I installed and updated (for the first time update after installing, it took a few minutes), I restarted my computer, and everything seems as fast as usual, no slowdowns. Also, there isn't any splash screen for MSE when you log in to your computer (I've never liked splash screens).

4. At the moment, it's only running one process, named "MsMpEng.exe", and it's using somewhere in the 40 megabytes of memory range.

5. It's very unintrusive, and so far, I'm not noticing any system slowdowns at all.

6. Love the GUI. It's very simple, and doesn't confuse you with a lot of complicated things.

7. It caught all of the EICAR test viruses.

8. I haven't noticed any system boot-up slowdowns.

Overall: I like this AV, and since it comes with a WebGuard (unlike Avira), I think I'll be sticking to this one for a while. I'll update this post with new things if I find them or remember them.

New Info: I found out that there is another process from MSE, so in total, there are two processes, and the second process, named "msseces.exe" isn't noticeable at all and it only uses 5 megabytes of memory.

Another piece of new info: I was working normally on my PC today, and I just went to Task Manager to check the mem usage of MSE, and the main process MsMpEng.exe is only using 33 megs of memory, and the second process msseces.exe is only using about 3 megs of memory. That's quite small compared to most AVs!

I think this will be a good competition for Avira, Nod32, Avast, etc.

I'll still wait for the AV - Comparatives though. Maybe finally, I'll ditch my Nod32.. Which I've been using for 3 years now.

Edit: I've noticed Microsoft's really working 'er ass off this time :) Only if they could make IE better. A total Revamp is what's needed.

Simplicity is hard.

Okay now I have a question for MSE: Does MSE have a web shield/guard type thing?

I want to ask that question on the link that Hazel gave (Clicky!), but I don't have a MSN Hotmail/Live account, so I can't ask that question, and I don't feel like making a whole new email to ask a simple question. So, if anyone here has a Hotmail email, can you please ask my question: "Does MSE have a webshield/guard type protection?"

Thanks,

Ice

Yep, looks like MSE doesn't have a web shield. But I'll still be sticking with it for now. It caught that EICAR test virus right away, and removed it. Very nice!

This is still MSE beta though, so Microsoft might add a web shield later.

Ah who needs a webshield. I use FF, and I have WOT, so it tells me if a site is good or bad. If I do accidentally get a virus, MSE will take care of it. :) Can't wait for AV-Comparatives August test results. Then I can see if I should keep using MSE. :D

EDIT: Decided to switch to NOD32 4 (after all, I've always been a big fan of NOD32), because I decided I really wanted a web shield feature.