Microsoft’s New Free Anti-Virus “Morro” Revealed, Screenshots Inside

Icedrake

As we all know Microsoft has discontinued its security suite "One Care" and now they are working on a new Anti-virus/Anti-spyware tool codenamed "Morro".

At the moment "Morro" is under testing and is available only to a very few selected Microsoft employees but someone from the testing team has leaked 3 exclusive screenshots to Neowin.

Morro main window (At Risk):

c0eaa9c54f67.jpg

Morro update window:

ecf261c73439.jpg

Morro main window (Protected):

2d67331acbbb.jpg

Note that:

"Morro" is the codename and the final name of the product will be different

Since its under testing, UI subject to change

It'll be available for testing very soon

The RTM version will be available by the end of 2009

Looks nice but whether I will test it or not depends on it's scores on antivirus tests.

Public Beta of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) Codenamed “Morro” Coming on June 23

Recently we posted about "Morro" which is a new Anti-virus program from Microsoft. Its free and currently under testing by Microsoft employees and a few selected beta testers.

d027bb0a3418.jpg

"Morro" is the codename of product and the product name has been finalized as "Microsoft Security Essentials" (MSE).

Now Microsoft has officially announced that it'll release a public beta of MSE on June 23, 2009 at about 9 AM PDT. It'll be available for first 75,000 lucky people but Microsoft might increase the number if required.

After this first beta, Microsoft will release a second public build, either a Beta Refresh or a Release Candidate, for the summer. It'll be available as standalone 32-bit and 64-bit downloads for Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

You'll be able to download the public beta from following link on June 23:

Download Microsoft Security Essentials Public Beta

• Moderators

Beta is up now on Softpedia

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Mic...ssentials.shtml

Says I cannot have it on the Microsoft one!!

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/market.aspx

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

What a shame, after it validated my XP install as legit and legal it only errors out and can't install due to some issue with Automatic Updates which actually works just fine on my system. Once it errors out the installer states it "returns your system back to its original state" since it can't be installed which isn't true as it leaves stuff behind, I therefore used Total Uninstall to make sure it was really removed. I'll try it again later in the year when it's officially released to the public.

That's a Beta. If they released it like a normal product, normal users would download it thinking it is a finished product, and then if there was something wrong with it, lots of users would be angry.

I think forcing users who want to download it to sign up is a way to make sure people know this is a beta.

Piriform French translator

Hmm... Looks like a great AV. Read some review about it on Softpedia. Both of the people gave it 5 stars, and one of them say that MSE caught a virus that even NOD32 failed to catch! Btw, does Avira AntiVir Free have a Web Guard/Shield type thing?

Ahhhhhhh! I'm trying to uninstall Avira, but it's stuck at the "Stopping Components" part, and it's been like that for a few minutes. Is it supposed to be like that?

Still nothing almost been like that for more than 10 minutes now! HELP!