Newbie Days

ishan_rulz

I just went through my first 20 - 50 posts. I just realised how stupid I was :o

I was new to the internet, etc.

I asked the most stupid questions, possible! (Started gay games, and spammed, etc.)

I annoyed the hell out of JDPower, Andavari, hazelnut, ...to an extent DennisD

I'm so sorry! Lol.

I was 14 at that time.

Now, I am 16 and am comparatively much better off.

BTW, does anyone remember the previous CCleaner skin? We used to miss it a lot. Now, we are used to this one (:

Why don't you guys recount your newbie moments (to the computer, to the internet, the forum etc.)

Simplicity is hard.

I arrived, spent way too much time reading every single post, and being an IT addict, replying to a ton of them.

Then I realized, when another user turned up, how annoying it looked.

fireryone

Ahhh.... nostalgia...

Back in the days in Philippines, computers have been a bit of luxury. Typewriters were selling like pancakes. When Windows 95 arrived, the number of computer owners boomed. Computer parts shops popped like grass. As time went on, more and more became computer literate. Internet cafe's sprung up. Dial-up was more expensive than a DSL today. For US$2, one can surf the net for an hour. Maybe for you guys, $2 is nothing. When converted to Philippine Pesos, that means a lot to us. Still, more and more started to use dial-up. As technology progressed, DSL lines were born under our feet. You can get a 256kbps ADSL connection for US$40. Thankfully, as time went by, the speed increased further. And so, I'm here in this forum, typing about the horrifying days of (our)technology being outrun by snails.... and is still going on today.

:)

• Moderators

The term "cringeworthy post" covers it I think.

I think we've you've all been there. :lol:

A recommendation. If you're old enough, and especially if you're not, don't post after you've had a few drinks. The next day you'll read your posts and ... OMG!!!

lol...good advice dennisd. i used to post back when i used to have a brewski or two....lol....not anymore.....back when i got my first computer (commodore vic20) i dont think there was an internet...........1982.........how old am i? lol...but then didnt get my next one till i think 2000 or 2001...my posts still run on at times!

ishan_rulz, I guess everyone has done that...

Early on Hazelnut had to show me how to put a picture into a post, and yesterday :blink: CTskifreak showed me how to make those neat little links: LINK

And I started in the computer game a while back. Doesn't matter, tho, the stuff moves so fast now that I'm running as fast as I can just to keep up.

One of the reasons I like this forum is the abounding courtesy shown by the members and moderators. In spite of their vast knowledge, they don't make sport of my knowledge which is only half-vast. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I can still remember when i got my first computer!

it was 1999, i was four years old. (im born in 1995).

my first computer was a win 98, it crashed all the time. my second computer which i got in 2003 (i think) was a win 2000, which ran more stable, but it still crashed a lot. then i got my first laptop, a win vista one, and it was really slow. then i got a vista PC (which i'm using right now) and i hate vista, i currently am switshing to a versoin of linux (Ubuntu).

when I first posted to a forum I annoyed everyone so that they kicked me out. i think thars where the definition of n00b lies: someone new that anoyes everyone. I think that annoying is done for the same reason that little kids annoy their parents sometimes; even bad attention is attention! (Newbs just want to be part of the community, and to intengrate, they seek attention, sometimes resulting in annoying stuff)

PS: I was born in germany, lived there until 2007, then I moved to vietnam where I currently live. I don't like vietnam. I am really happy i'm moving back to germany in june next year. Are most of you people from the US?

PC Specs: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (2x 3GHz), 1GB RAM, 500GB internal HDD & 500 GB external HDD (both kinda full)

Laptop Specs: eeePC 1000HE, Ubuntu 9.4 (OS), Intel Atom 1.66 GHz (2x 1.66GHz), 1GB RAM, 160GB Interal HDD

What I support: GNU, Free Software Foundation, Ubuntu (Linux-based free Operating system)

If we're talking about PC knowledge, I came here in 2006 with absolutely nothing.

And I've still got most of it left. :)

:lol::lol: Me too. Started with zero knowledge, but have doubled that since.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Yeah, 2 years back I was near nothing. Now, I know quite a lot. Everyone in my school comes to me for problems related to computers :P

Funny, even my previous computer technician asks me for softwares and tips on tweaking the PC. :lol: I used to rely so much on him, and now I do all the work ;)

It's fun being the "geek" in school :) ..not all the time though :blink:

Simplicity is hard.

Btw, my primary language is spanish.

Sorry if my english sucks. :(

Your English is as good as probably better than mine and I immigrated to Canada from Denmark in 1958.

No doubt I have learned tons on this forum and learning something new nearly every day. In fact a while ago I had some serious problems with my PC, especially after changing from FAT32 to NTFS, and the problem was solved with a lot of help from here.

There is a huge amount of information on here regarding freeware products. In fact, most of the excellent freeware products that I use I found from viewing this forum.

To me what is attractive about this forum is the ton of knowledge found here coupled with the fact that all members are so friendly. Also, for me personally, I have gained a very good friend who I met on this forum.

lol...good advice dennisd. i used to post back when i used to have a brewski or two....lol....not anymore.....back when i got my first computer (commodore vic20) i dont think there was an internet...........1982.........how old am i? lol...but then didnt get my next one till i think 2000 or 2001...my posts still run on at times!

I can relate started the same time ...mine was a Tandy, then went to an Amiga 2000, great machine.........used it up until 2000. Wish they still built them.

• Moderators
I can relate started the same time ...mine was a Tandy, then went to an Amiga 2000, great machine.........used it up until 2000. Wish they still built them.

Now there's a name from the past.

Almost every town in the UK had it's Tandy branch, and there wasn't anywhere better for buying those little electrical connections and similar hard to find bits and pieces, as well as the bigger stuff.

And then they just bit the dust over here. Shame.