Computer Help!

LIL NOOB

Well I have a laptop and it crashed a while ago ..I'll love to make that computer work again but the problem is this.

When I turn the computer on it takes me to the windows Xp loading page..after that I get this error.

__________________________________________________ _______

Fatal Error

An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated.To address this problem, please contact your computer manufacturer.Windows must now shut Down.

Press OK to view the Setup log file.

As soon as i press "OK" A System Setup log page pops up..

System Setup Log-(C:WINDOWS\setuperr.log)

****Fatal Error****

As soon as i press "Close" The pc shuts down.

I want to know what can I do about this..Will a system restore help?

• Moderators

You will need to give a bit more info here such as which make of laptop etc and also which operating system.

Do you have the disks for it?

Did it give any other info apart from fatal error?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Well I reinstalled windows and the computer it's working good again..

Now I need help on what to uninstall from here..

Whattounistall.jpg

I really don't want anything on the computer but iTunes..And I don't really want to

uninstall any important components..Any help on what I can safely uninstall?

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

Adobe Reader/Adobe Download Manager "Stays" Update!

Intel extreme Graphics Drivers "Update" HERE

iTunes "Stays" or "Uninstall" your option Update!

Nero "Stays" or "Uninstall" your option Update!

Windows Installer "Stays" Will be updated via Windows Update

Everything else I DIDN'T MENTION can be uninstalled. some of those are known as Spyware and is harmful to your system like "WildTanget Web Driver".

Recommended Apps

MalwareBytes'

SUPERAnti-Spyware

Spybot - S&D Optional in my book

AntiVir Personal or AVAST!

K-Lite enables you to watch any Movie in ANY format basically

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Adobe Reader/Adobe Download Manager "Stays" Update!

Intel extreme Graphics Drivers "Update" HERE

iTunes "Stays" or "Uninstall" your option Update!

Nero "Stays" or "Uninstall" your option Update!

Windows Installer "Stays" Will be updated via Windows Update

Everything else I DIDN'T MENTION can be uninstalled. some of those are known as Spyware and is harmful to your system like "WildTanget Web Driver".

Recommended Apps

MalwareBytes'

SUPERAnti-Spyware

Spybot - S&D Optional in my book

AntiVir Personal or AVAST!

K-Lite enables you to watch any Movie in ANY format basically

Thanks for the info..I have one question..I can't uninstall somethings because it say it cannot locate some folders something like that..I will like to put CCleaener on that computer so it can help me clean it up but I don't have internet on that laptop..Can I save CClenaer on a USB then install it on that computer?

Wild Tangent?! Come along, Sherman. Time to use the Way Back Machine.

I haven't seen that junk in ages.

Well this is a laptop that crashed like 1 year ago so yeah..Most of the things in it are really old.

Well I saved CCleaner on a Usb then I send it to the computer and everything worked fine..

Now what should I uninstall from here?

hax.jpg

And as you can see in the taskbar it shows I still have Mcafee,Norton, Aol Security center and QuickTime..even tho I already uninstalled them..

Anyways to get rid of them?

Is it OK if I search for all McAfee's/Norton and Aol files and delete them since I can't uninstall it?

Hopefully someone can help me..

Thanks in advance. :)

Before you get rid of McAfee & Norton, etc., you should download and install a good antivirus program. 2 free ones available that work very well... Avast Home 4.8 (my choice) and Avira. This site Filehippo has the cleanest versions of anything you'll ever need. They pride themselves on cleanliness. Great starting point.

And as you can see in the taskbar it shows I still have Mcafee,Norton, Aol Security center and QuickTime..even tho I already uninstalled them..

Anyways to get rid of them?

Is it OK if I search for all McAfee's/Norton and Aol files and delete them since I can't uninstall it?

hmm... Norton always was a pain to uninstall. trey the Norton Removal App. HERE and see if that gets rid of things. as far as McAfee idk man. try going into Safe Mode and see if you can't uninstall/Remove the Folder/Files.

as Corona said use either of those provided Anti-Virus Apps.

Note: to get into "Safe Mode" reboot PC/Notebook and hit F8 BEFORE the Windows Logo Boot Screen appears.

This site Filehippo has the cleanest versions of anything you'll ever need. They pride themselves on cleanliness. Great starting point.
Agreed there Corona :)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

McAfee removal tool

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Read all instructions first.

Interesting info on removing AOL from the anti-Aol page

http://anti-aol.livejournal.com/tag/greate...ers+of+all+time

Rading everthing on this page is essential should you want to do any of it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Interesting info on removing AOL from the anti-Aol page

http://anti-aol.livejournal.com/tag/greate...ers+of+all+time

Rading everthing on this page is essential should you want to do any of it.

I used to be very Anti-AOL after using their ISP for two years, so much I had made an app called AOL Killer years ago that would remove all of it from a system, funny no download site would host it. :lol:

I know first hand that AOL will leave junk behind.

As old as that computer is with allot of the junk on it like WildTangent I'd just do a format and start fresh, but only if I had the Windows install disc.

LIL NOOB, what brand is your Notebook? i am just wondering. you must of used the recovery disc that came with that Notebook to restore right? cause that crap in add/remove wouldn't be there otherwise :lol:

hazelnut, hehe forgot about the removal tool for McAFee -_-

LIL NOOB, what brand is your Notebook? i am just wondering. you must of used the recovery disc that came with that Notebook to restore right? cause that crap in add/remove wouldn't be there otherwise :lol:

hazelnut, hehe forgot about the removal tool for McAFee -_-

Thanks for the help guys..And I'm still having problems..and the laptop it's a GateWay and to do a system restore I do not need a CD..

Full System Restore (Destructive) Using Gateway System Recovery Windows XP Hard Drive

This option completely erases the hard disk and reinstalls factory-shipped files. It also allows the recreation of the recovery partition. Use this option if the hard drive is blank or all other options fail to restore the machine to a satisfactory condition.

Note: All your personal data files and applications will be lost. Be sure that you have your data files backed up before performing this option.

Note: Due to the large number of virus and spyware threats on the internet, it is recommended that you disconnect all internet connections before reinstalling Windows?. After the Windows installation, antivirus and firewall software can be installed and then the internet connection can be re-enabled to update the antivirus definitions and perform Windows Updates.

1. Remove all CDs or DVDs from the optical drives.

2. Turn off the computer using the normal Windows shut down process.

3. After the computer is turned off, disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse. This includes USB devices such as a printer, scanner, removable storage, or camera.

4. Turn on the computer. To start recovery, at the prompt press the F11 key.

5. In the Systems Restore Options dialog box, select Full System Restore (Destructive), and then click Next.

6. In the System Restore - Format and Recover dialog box, click Yes.

7. Files copy.

8. In the System Restore dialog box, click Restart.

9. The computer restarts.

10. Drivers and applications are installed.

But the problem is that when I press f11 I get this error

[ NTLDR Is Missing.]

Press CTRL+ALT+Del to restart.

What can I do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the help guys..And I'm still having problems..and the laptop it's a GateWay and to do a system restore I do not need a CD..

But the problem is that when I press f11 I get this error

[ NTLDR Is Missing.]

Press CTRL+ALT+Del to restart.

What can I do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have a corrupt NTLDR file... You can try following these instructions if your up to it:

NTLDR is missing

Keith

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Sounds like you have a corrupt NTLDR file... You can try following these instructions if your up to it:

NTLDR is missing

Keith

Thanks for the info..I got one question..Someone reocomended me to do this

If you have another computer that's running the same OS, put these 3 files on a flash drive and copy them over to the computer you have the problem with:

ntldr.exe

boot.ini

ntdetect.com

How do I know if I'm running the same Os?

It means if you are running xp and so is the other computer. Or they are running vista and so are you.

Os means operating system.

Now I know..Sorry but I don't know much about computers.

..Where can I find there files

ntldr.exe

boot.ini

ntdetect.com

And how can I send them to a USB?