Storm Tracking

hazelnut

Sometimes I'm glad I live in the UK. especially when I look at sites like this

http://www.stormpulse.com/

I found it an interesting site though.

Just coincidentally, the first hurricane to affect my life was Hurricane Hazel Oct.1954 .

I experienced it in Washington.D.C. . Learned to respect the power of nature.

I am sure many others on this forum remember it's ferocity.

One heck of a storm for spending a lot of it's life over land and not ocean.

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/alma...04/alm04oct.htm

:) davey

My experiences with hurricanes is with the aftermath of hurricane Hazel when we emigrated to Toronto Canada in '57 and it was still in the news.

My next experience was when I was working in Raleigh N.C. with hurricane Hugo in September '89 and I decided to spend the night in a Marriott hotel as the place I was staying in was a small wooden townhouse near a creek:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/1989hugo.html

It blew and rained a lot but its ferocity had waned by traveling overland.

The thunderstorms there were more frightening to me.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
The thunderstorms there were more frightening to me.

In my area of southeast Iowa we only got very heavy rain all day from hurricane Gustav, but that's all we got. It's mostly the thunderstorms we deal with, although there have been allot to tornadoes that have occurred near my city or in surrounding towns that aren't that far away at all in recent years.

Whenever there's a strong storm going on I always look at the skies to see what type of rotation they have such as a supercell thunderstorm as those typically spit out tornadoes.

I just see a red X where your pic should be?

When I go to http://www.crochetville.org/forum/images/s...eather_rain.gif I see the smily :unsure:

t1749_hazelnut.png

Edited by YoKenny

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Just coincidentally, the first hurricane to affect my life was Hurricane Hazel Oct.1954 .

I experienced it in Washington.D.C. . Learned to respect the power of nature.

I am sure many others on this forum remember it's ferocity.

One heck of a storm for spending a lot of it's life over land and not ocean.

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/alma...04/alm04oct.htm

I remember Hazel. I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol at the time and we were sent to Charleston, SC to help set up radio communications. It was quite an experience for a teenager. At the time the eye had moved north a bit but the peripheral winds were still going through the area. The power was amazing.

• Moderators
I just see a red X where your pic should be?

That's probably because of this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/images/smilies/weather_rain.gif on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

That's probably because of this:

Does that mean it is an IE7Pro with Ad Blocker turned on thing ?

I would turn it off again but I seem to not do something right to turn it back on for awhile.

All the other users of this PC cheer when that happens. :P They get to play at some unknown fun sites until I get it back on.

P.S. I forgot to mention SpywareBlaster also. One of my favorite little protectors and so easy to use.

Edited by davey

Does that mean it is an IE7Pro with Ad Blocker turned on thing ?

I would turn it off again but I seem to not do something right to turn it back on for awhile.

All the other users of this PC cheer when that happens. :P They get to play at some unknown fun sites until I get it back on.

I don't know as I don't use Ad blocker enabled in IE7Pro.

I much prefer to use the HOSTS file I have frequently documented about as they use less system resources that I'm sure you will appreciate.

Don't worry. Be happy.

We are all here to help you to do the right thing and that's the only sound I hear from PC users.

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

No that's a web server response telling people they don't have permission to use their images elsewhere - many consider it stealing their bandwidth, etc., hence such an error page. That's why many times if I post an image from elsewhere, I'll typically download it to my PC then post it on one of the free image hosting services.

No that's a web server response telling people they don't have permission to use their images elsewhere - many consider it stealing their bandwidth, etc., hence such an error page. That's why many times if I post an image from elsewhere, I'll typically download it to my PC then post it on one of the free image hosting services.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Now that you explained it so well. I will file that away in the "old gray cells".

Wonder if it will stay there.

Now to get back to the real "storm tracking" news.

P.S. I have bookmarked it also, Andavari. My "gray cells can't hold all that much".

Thanks Hazel for an important and interesting site.

Edited by davey

The last of Ike is just rolling through here with a bit of high wind and rain and the power just bleeped out for a few seconds causing my TV to shut off while I was watching the news on CBC about Ike and how it was hitting here.

Its just heavy wind and a bit of rain and thankfully nowhere near as bad as the folks got down south.

My APC Back-UPS ES 350 kicked in so my XP Pro system didn't shut off.

IE7Pro user

Interesting reading:

Why do we have a hurricane season?

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=why-do...urricane-season

IE7Pro user