Antivirus other then the big three

So I am thinking of using/trying an antivirus again (been flying bare for quite awhile here) and am giving Eset nod32 trial a try for the month. So far I really like the interface, decent scan time and has some good reviews.

I was also looking at bitdefender, which seems to have some not bad reviews and is free (bonus!).

I have had a LOT of troubles with both avast and avg so im pretty much done with the two of them. The problem that both of them caused for me was that i could not open .exe files when clicking on them. Took me awhile to figure out that it was the antivirus that was causing a problem and not a virus itself! Google was definately my friend, and i wasnt alone in this problem.

Avira doesn't do it for me. I hate the interface and that nag screen drives me nuts. Too bad because it has such an excellent all around rating (probably the best free one in terms of detection and low false detect results imho).

Also kicked around the idea of clamwin, but never hear much about it, but maybe no news is good news. Anyhoo, ill report back with any problems and/or good results with nod32.

If its good, it may become one of my "must have" software that I pay for. :)

I have had a LOT of troubles with both avast and avg so im pretty much done with the two of them. The problem that both of them caused for me was that i could not open .exe files when clicking on them. Took
I'm using Avast! Free on my WinME, XP Home and Pro systems and they do not exhibit the problem you describe.

Which .exe files would not open?

Can you get CCleaner to run from its .exe file?

Maybe its a Vista thing?

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=16751&hl=

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm not sure if its related to vista specifically, could very well be, but NO .exe files would open for some reason. I had avast installed and when i uninstalled it (coincidentally) .exe files would open. Then i gave avg a try and the problem started. I found a link somewhere where someone stated that avg had caused the same problem for them, so when i uninstalled it...viola .exe files worked again. so i tried avast on a hunch, and boom, no .exe files would open. not sure what the conflict was, but once i got rid of them both, .exe files worked fine again.

Funny you mention CCleaner. never have a problem with CCleaner. probably the MOST trouble FREE program i have ever used. Completely unrelated, I had tried defraggler for the first time the other day, and after several attempts to scan, 6 hours at the longest run, i finally uninstalled it as it just didnt seem to want to defrag my computer.

So I am thinking of using/trying an antivirus again (been flying bare for quite awhile here) and am giving Eset nod32 trial a try for the month. So far I really like the interface, decent scan time and has some good reviews.

I was also looking at bitdefender, which seems to have some not bad reviews and is free (bonus!).

I have had a LOT of troubles with both avast and avg so im pretty much done with the two of them. The problem that both of them caused for me was that i could not open .exe files when clicking on them. Took me awhile to figure out that it was the antivirus that was causing a problem and not a virus itself! Google was definately my friend, and i wasnt alone in this problem.

Avira doesn't do it for me. I hate the interface and that nag screen drives me nuts. Too bad because it has such an excellent all around rating (probably the best free one in terms of detection and low false detect results imho).

Also kicked around the idea of clamwin, but never hear much about it, but maybe no news is good news. Anyhoo, ill report back with any problems and/or good results with nod32.

Bit Defender free does not have a resident shield/guard so all you get is an on demand scanner. If you want that just use their online version.

AntiVir is excellent. If you don't want to use it because of it's interface I don't know what to tell you there. It has a clean and intuitive interface. Many programs could take lessons from AntiVir as far as a GUI is concerned. The program is install and forget. The nag screen is so easily disabled.

Here is the link for instructions to disable the nag screen. http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

As far as not being to open .exe files with Avast or AVG the problem is obviously on your end since multi millions of people use both of those AV apps with no such problem including myself. If my machines would not open .exe using a specific AV app I would find out why. There is something there that needs further looking into.

Bit Defender free does not have a resident shield/guard so all you get is an on demand scanner. If you want that just use their online version.

AntiVir is excellent. If you don't want to use it because of it's interface I don't know what to tell you there. It has a clean and intuitive interface. Many programs could take lessons from AntiVir as far as a GUI is concerned. The program is install and forget. The nag screen is so easily disabled.

Here is the link for instructions to disable the nag screen. http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

As far as not being to open .exe files with Avast or AVG the problem is obviously on your end since multi millions of people use both of those AV apps with no such problem including myself. If my machines would not open .exe using a specific AV app I would find out why. There is something there that needs further looking into.

I just hate the colours and the whole umbrella look. Don't know why, it just annoys me. I used it before and that nag screen drove me nuts. I had tried some of the fixes to stop it to no avail. But that was quite a long time ago, so maybe a fix works now. I may just give it another shot.

As for the .exe files, yes it must be on my end, and you are right that lots use these av without these problems, but during my research I found that I am not the only one with that issue. Could be that the av get buggy when mixed with other programs on a comp, or a mix of progs and the op system. I really have no idea its not my forte. I just know that they caused me personally problems so just not worth the headaches. :)

• Moderators

This is a new one on me, but I'd be careful about one of the download locations: Brothersoft.

This site has a long list of McAfee Advisor red tagged downloads, although this may not be one of them.

It is so easy to disable that Avira nag in Vista (easy in XP too). Computer>C>Program Files>Avira (Folder)>Properties>avnotify.exe>Traverse Folder>check Deny

That is all there is to it!

This is a new one on me, but I'd be careful about one of the download locations: Brothersoft.

This site has a long list of McAfee Advisor red tagged downloads, although this may not be one of them.

You're correct about BrotherSoft, the software is clean though. There exists a thread at Wilders here all about Rising.

It offers a lot for a free AV, I'd say about everything.