New version much slower

daba

• Moderators

I'm not using secure deletion, and I'm just running analyse. Yesterday it took 66 secs to analyse 28 mb. Today after I booted up I ran analyse. 16.8 secs for 7 mb of data. It is very slow. This has nothing to do with secure deletion.

Repeat runs are very fast, almost sub-second, so I guess CC uis holding info on some temp file somewhere.

At present I have Start Menu/Desktop shortcuts ticked, although they don't actually clean anything. Next time I reboot I'll test it without these two ticked.

Right Anthony,

Now drop that RAM down to around 128 or 256 MB and check again.

Perhaps I should have said "not so average computers" is what we are using. :lol:

:) davey

P.S. You probably also thought " WHAT A RIDICULOUS OPTION" when they added the Minimize to System Tray option in Options > Advanced. I still think the same thing because I am not going to run some other program while CCleaner is still cleaning and secure deleting what have you.

P.S.S. Believe me! Anthony, you sure are not missing anything special. :lol:

t647_20080304064441.png

t649_20080304064525.png

Run Cleaner 16 MB deleted 2.675 secs

In the CCleaner banner you can see the PC specs I am dealing with.Please no tears of laughter. :lol:

I also use JkDefrag system idle time defragging.Sometimes this improves the Analysis times.

The times shown in listings here are for CCleaner Analysis and Run Cleaner only since last boot.

These times sure beat the heck out of doing it manually.

Right Anthony,

Now drop that RAM down to around 128 or 256 MB and check again.

Perhaps I should have said "not so average computers" is what we are using. :lol:

:) davey

P.S. You probably also thought " WHAT A RIDICULOUS OPTION" when they added the Minimize to System Tray option in Options > Advanced. I still think the same thing because I am not going to run some other program while CCleaner is still cleaning and secure deleting what have you.

P.S.S. Believe me! Anthony, you sure are not missing anything special. :lol:

t647_20080304064441.png

t649_20080304064525.png

Run Cleaner 16 MB deleted 2.675 secs

In the CCleaner banner you can see the PC specs I am dealing with.Please no tears of laughter. :lol:

I don't think your RAM is the issue. If you shut down all running programs when you run CCleaner, like I do, that will free up your RAM for CCleaner which uses very little when it cleans. A couple other processes are started when CCleaner cleans but all together they plus CCleaner used about 20 MB of RAM on my machines.

• Moderators

Me again. I rebooted and ran analyse with Start Menu/Desktop shortcuts ticked. 17.46 secs for 12.2 mb. I rebooted and ran analyse without Start Menu/Desktop shortcuts ticked, 27.7 secs for 12.2.mb. Still with those grey filenames.

As an aside, once the first analysis of the day has been run subsequent analyses, and deletions, run very quickly. I don't suppose this (running analysis first, then running delete) is the reason why some users have speedy deletions. They would have said so, wouldn't they?

I don't believe that secure deletion has any effect on analysis times, and my slow running is without secure deletion.

I don't believe that Start Menu/Desktop shortcuts ticked or not has any significant effect on analysis times.

I don't believe that PC spec has any effect on analysis time, as I'm on P4 3 gb with 1 gb memory.

I believe it's the analysis time that is slow. If the analysis stage is not run then there is an implicit analysis run in the delete option, which makes it slow. Run analyse first, deletion is fast.

In other words I don't really know the answer.

Can you see picture of the horse I posted in March desktops (the lounge)

I used same place as I always did to do the screenshots.

Yes I can see that?

I can see your pic in this thread to now and it's loading nice and fast again. Must have been a glitch.

• Moderators
I said I would post a screenshot of what I see so here it is, it appears for a second and then the list of things to delete is displayed

t364_PA.JPG

I see that all the time when I enable the cleaning of shortcuts, it definitely makes the cleaning much slower on my system - even when it doesn't find any invalid shortcuts.

daba said things were slow when he used secure deletion with the current version and that he believed he was using secure deletion with the earlier version. Is it possible the earlier version appeared faster to him because it wasn't actually overwriting all the files?

EDIT: daba, how many passes have you set for secure deletion?

1 pass

Summarising the issue :-

Used CCleaner for a long time (Sep. '04) - no speed issues - settings remained constant throughout many upgrades (just checked the download files, 21 of them since version 1.13)

Last version 2.05 idownloaded and installed and hey whoa! this is not right!, hence the original post. No settings were altered in the latest upgrade (I checked after seeing the first run took 2 to 3 minutes).

Haven't had chance to uninstall and retry earlier version 2.01 yet : family health issue has kept me a bit bus - but if the install goes OK I already know what to expect, i used it for nearly 5 months.

1 pass

Summarising the issue :-

Used CCleaner for a long time (Sep. '04) - no speed issues - settings remained constant throughout many upgrades (just checked the download files, 21 of them since version 1.13)

Last version 2.05 idownloaded and installed and hey whoa! this is not right!, hence the original post. No settings were altered in the latest upgrade (I checked after seeing the first run took 2 to 3 minutes).

Haven't had chance to uninstall and retry earlier version 2.01 yet : family health issue has kept me a bit bus - but if the install goes OK I already know what to expect, i used it for nearly 5 months.

here's screenshot - note the time taken

post-19183-1205025928_thumb.jpg

post-19183-1205025928_thumb.jpg

It took me a while to get some comparisons run but, running Windows XP Home SP2 and CCleaner v2.05.555:

- Normal deletion to remove 31.5MB took 0.709 seconds

- Simple Overwrite (1 pass) to remove 31.4MB took 12.145 seconds

So secure deletion definitely adds time (as expected) but nothing like you're experiencing.

here's screenshot - note the time taken

daba,

I agree with what you said in this Post.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=97704

I also think Glenn was correct about prior versions not secure deleting.

If you install 2.01 also try overwriting 7 passes.If it is secure deleting then the cleaning time should go up accordingly.

There were IE temp files not being secure deleted in that version. 2.01.507.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Since downloading the latest version my delete time has drastically increased at start up.

I've had no problems with past version with the time needed to analyze & delete. Now with the latest version it takes forever.

I have always had secure delete with 7 passes and the time to analyze & delete was very quick.

Not sure why this has happened. I haven't changed any settings since getting CC.

• Moderators

I"ve found CCleaner v2 to be just as fast or faster than the old version. Especially when it comes to the issues scanner.

Before I would have to run it 4 times for it to catch everything. I haven't had to run it in V2 more than twice yet. (plus it scans way faster).